1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. brp2

brp2 Senior member

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Grabbed a couple of the Springbank 17 Sherry Woods yesterday, whoah, fantastic stuff! This is a bourbon drinkers scotch.

3. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

I have the bourbon finished amrut and I really like it. Most people prefer the portonova, but I found it just ok. The prices are a bit on the high side, but the quality is good.

4. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Sh!t, seriously?!? The Taketsuru 21 is one of the greatest values there is. Bought a bottle at Narita duty free for like $60-70 US. Incredible stuff.

Dammit.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Agreed, the Yoichi tops my list at the moment. Really disappointed, but maybe they have something very similar in the works as a replacement.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Their stock is running low and they want to focus more on NAS stuff

7. cchen

cchen Senior member

Agreed. They generally tend to be on the sweeter side as well to fit the Asian palate. But you can always find the versions that are heavily peated or bourbon or sherry casks, whatever you fancy.

8. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Finally got around to picking up a bottle of Westland today. I was caught between this and the recent Balvenie 15 single cask; but since I've had a lot of Balvenie, including an earlier version of the 15, I figured I should try something new. While I expect that I'll probably enjoy their peated or sherried versions, those aren't available locally and I'm probably a sucker for the "start with the common denominator" approach.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

10. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Haven't actually gotten around to opening it yet. I was planning on trying it tonight, but then decided that I've got too many open bottles.

11. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

^I think it got good ratings in whisky advocate.

A few years ago I picked up a few bottles of Cedar Ridge Distillery (Iowa) single malt that they aged in a bunch of different barrels. Good stuff. Their cherrywood aged one was great.

Tuesday is my bday so as tradition goes (for 6 years now anyway) I will be opening a bottle of Glenlivet 21. The older bottles tended to be great but more recently I am getting too much sulfur in it. I am thinking maybe I will need to find a new celebration whisky.

1 person likes this.
  12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Ny of you guys try the new Compass Box Hedonism yet?

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Sounds more like a party.

1 person likes this.
  14. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Can someone explain to me the whole NAS concept from the Suntory?

Am I correct that they want to reduce selling aged whiskey in lieu of this NAS stuff?

15. cchen

cchen Senior member

It's Nikka that's doing it, not Suntory, but I suspect Suntory's aged stocks are also getting low now as well

16. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Suntory is now doing it with the Hibiki.

17. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Everyone in general is shifting towards a NAS selling strategy, which is a shame really. Too much demand, not enough supply. Get your age statement bottlings while you can gents...

18. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ ugh.. must everything get shittier by demand and marketing?

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

NAS isn't shittier tho. Just different. Everybody loves Laphroaig QC and Uiegeadail and Abuna'dh

2 people like this.
  20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

It's the lack of transparency that I don't care for, some classic examples aside as you mentioned are ok.

However, bottlings like Mac Rare Cask popping up, with no discernable reason for the $300 price tag, really irks me. What is a "rare cask" anyways? Especially when I don't see an increase in alcohol percentage or age statement. HP has a new one too called Dark Origins, and I have the same problem with it. Too many companies hungry for the cash grab IMO.

Sorry for the rant, but this is a sensitive subject for me...lol

1 person likes this.