Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ama

ama Senior member

I have about 3-4 bottles that have been opened for over a year. They have contained less than 1/3 bottle for over 6 months. I'm really not too worried about it. I don't stress out about timeframes. I bet Hunts and Pio have many, many open bottles.

Edit: I have to admit, my Balvenie 21 has lost some of its luster (open for over 6 months and been mostly empty for 4 months). [​IMG]

I have about 30ish bottles open right now. The exceedingly rare/expensive stuff I re-bottle when they get down to about half. (Old Hudson bottles are great for that purpose, by the way.) The rest I just let go and when they get way down drink a little quicker or have a few friends over to help me finish.

Had a pour a laphroaig 10 tonight. Interesting to say the least. Very earthy. Not sure if scotch is for me

Its an acquired taste, if you like smokey, but not too smokey, you might want to try Lagavulin or even that Laohroaig Quarter Cask. They are both great smokey scotches, but a little more tame.

2. 5tan

5tan Senior member

Just starting out and I found this thread to be pretty informative.
    The oxidation question was something I was wondering as well.
    I havent bought a bottle yet, but at the bar on the weekend I had a bit of Glenlivet 18, thought that was quite good, very smooth. Thinking about buying a bottle in the near future since its just under $100, but at least I know how to store it.

3. ama

ama Senior member

glenlivet 18 should be $49.99 at costco, just picked up a bottle this past weekend. enjoy!

Every Costco has different stuff.

4. ama

ama Senior member

$56 + shipping here though.

5. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Cragganmore 12, almost exclusively.

6. 5tan

5tan Senior member

Oh, I'm in Canada, pretty sure our Costco's dont sell booze.

7. Pat

Pat Senior member

$56 + shipping here though.

wow, this site has some of the best prices i have seen. even with $23 for shipping if you buy two or three bottles it makes them much cheaper than what i have found locally. any other good sites to order from?

8. ama

ama Senior member

wow, this site has some of the best prices i have seen. even with $23 for shipping if you buy two or three bottles it makes them much cheaper than what i have found locally. any other good sites to order from?

I don't generally shop around online, I look for specific bottles. Smart Googling leads to them nine times out of ten. If you just want to browse, Binnys, Park Ave. Liquor, Astor, Drinkupny, D & M, BevMo, Sams Wine and Liquor, Shoppers Vinyard, and K & L are all good, but you might fritter away hours just browsing unless you have a pretty good picture about what you are looking for.

9. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Oh, I'm in Canada, pretty sure our Costco's dont sell booze.

* scratches Canada off of potential places to live *

ama's suggestions are all good. I've also had good experiences ordering from Spec's in Houston.

11. goodlife

goodlife Senior member

And the kanji for it is very beautiful.

Úč┐

[​IMG]

I don't know if anyone else has found this domestically, but it was on the shelf at Binny's Lakeview on saturday when I was there.

12. Dburr

Dburr Senior member

Pigs Nose - a $35 blend that I prefer to many single malts.

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

As I said, I don't generally shop around online, I look for specific bottles. Smart Googling leads to them nine times out of ten. If you just want to browse, Binnys, Park Ave. Liquor, Astor, Drinkupny, D & M, BevMo, Sams Wine and Liquor, Shoppers Vinyard, and K & L are all good, but you might fritter away hours just browsing unless you ha e a pretty good picture out what you are looking for.

I don't generally shop around online, I look for specific bottles. Smart Googling leads to them nine times out of ten. If you just want to browse, Binnys, Park Ave. Liquor, Astor, Drinkupny, D & M, BevMo, Sams Wine and Liquor, Shoppers Vinyard, and K & L are all good, but you might fritter away hours just browsing unless you have a pretty good picture about what you are looking for.

ama, are you a bot? You can admit it.. [​IMG]

14. ama

ama Senior member

ama, are you a bot? You can admit it.. [​IMG]

Hey now! If you look carefully you'll see I edited the mistakes out of the first iteration of the post. I'm just trying to be helpful, so what if I'm a little lazy. =P

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I think - once I get home - I will be ready for a tumbler of Scotch. Or maybe Two.