• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Pa. we've got a pretty closed market when it comes to alcohol and as such, not a great selection of single malt. Fortunately once a year my wife visits a friend in L.A. and she brings me back a bottle of something I can't get in Pa. This year she brought this....

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this brand and what your thoughts were. I like it. It's not quite as peaty as Lagavulin but a little more interesting than glenlivet.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Probably better off starting with the standard Ardbeg 10yr if you are just starting out. A lot of the list is somewhat redundant, so I would start small, get an Islay and Isle and a highland if you can fit it in the budget. Best to understand the regional differences before getting into the individual distilleries.

Of your list I would chose the Talisker 10, the Laga 16 and the Highland park 12. All good expressions of their region. The heavy sherry or heavy peat/salt are better for those who have acquired a taste specifically for those traits.

You don't think a good sherried scotch is something worth having a taste of to start? I fond HP to Tal to Lag is going from brine to salt to peat and is all in the same taste family, where as a sherried scotch might offer a bit more variety...

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Pa. we've got a pretty closed market when it comes to alcohol and as such, not a great selection of single malt. Fortunately once a year my wife visits a friend in L.A. and she brings me back a bottle of something I can't get in Pa. This year she brought this....

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this brand and what your thoughts were. I like it. It's not quite as peaty as Lagavulin but a little more interesting than glenlivet.

Shawn: not sure if you're asking about Cambus or Signatory here. I know next to nothing about Cambus, but Signatory is a secondary bottler -- a company that buys product from distilleries and bottles it on its own. I've had a couple different Signatory bottlings in the past, including whisky from Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Highland Park (a '91, from the un-chillfiltered collection which I currently have), and Springbank, and I've liked them all. This will tell you a bit more about what you've got, http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-19631.aspx, and I'm sure there are some here who are even more knowledgable.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You don't think a good sherried scotch is something worth having a taste of to start? I fond HP to Tal to Lag is going from brine to salt to peat and is all in the same taste family, where as a sherried scotch might offer a bit more variety...

Point taken, worth picking up the Aberlour a'bunadh for a bit of variety.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Almost every time anybody posts prices, I feel like I'm stealing. I paid $54 for Uigeadail recently, $63 for A'bunadh. I can't usually get the more obscure drams, but great prices on the stuff that's available.

Age is important depending on the flavour profile, smoothness and characteristics of Scotch that you're interested in enjoying.
There are some very decent 10 year olds to get you started, particularly "Glenmorangie 10 year old The Original" and "Bruichladdich 'The Laddie Ten' 10 year old".... 

The Laddie really has some nice depth for a 10 year.

Last edited:

joelscott7

Reaction score
Point taken, worth picking up the Aberlour a'bunadh for a bit of variety.
Assuming I get the a'bunadh and I could buy the Lag at home for roughly the same price, what would be a good bottle to round out the selection?
I can only bring 2 across the border, that's why I was trying to keep it to 2 bottles. With little cost difference with the Lag, I might as well buy a different bottle.
Would Nectar D'or fit that gap, or is it very similar to the a'bunadh?

I have appreciated all the help.
Thank you!

Last edited:

freedom_fries

Reaction score
I would try the Talisker Storm rather than the 10 - it's a smoother scotch for the price than the 10.

freedom_fries

Reaction score

Age is important depending on the flavour profile, smoothness and characteristics of Scotch that you're interested in enjoying.
There are some very decent 10 year olds to get you started, particularly "Glenmorangie 10 year old The Original" and "Bruichladdich 'The Laddie Ten' 10 year old".... 

Also, the 10 refers to the absolute youngest of the casks in the blend, so you could theoretically have something that's 80 percent 17 and 20 percent 10 and it would still need to be called a 10.

I actually think the no-age-statement taliskers are better than the 10, but they can't charge as much because the youngest element is probably around 7 years old rather than 10 (which doesn't mean it isn't better).

Also, different casks require different amounts of time in them to get the most out of them.

Eric Michael

Reaction score
Assuming I get the a'bunadh and I could buy the Lag at home for roughly the same price, what would be a good bottle to round out the selection?
I can only bring 2 across the border, that's why I was trying to keep it to 2 bottles. With little cost difference with the Lag, I might as well buy a different bottle.
Would Nectar D'or fit that gap, or is it very similar to the a'bunadh?

I have appreciated all the help.
Thank you!
I find Nectar D'Or to be less complex and enjoyable then Glenmorangie's Original. The Original is also less expensive I believe, which helps you out!

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shawn: not sure if you're asking about Cambus or Signatory here.  I know next to nothing about Cambus, but Signatory is a secondary bottler -- a company that buys product from distilleries and bottles it on its own.  I've had a couple different Signatory bottlings in the past, including whisky from Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Highland Park (a '91, from the un-chillfiltered collection which I currently have), and Springbank, and I've liked them all.  This will tell you a bit more about what you've got, http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-19631.aspx, and I'm sure there are some here who are even more knowledgable.

Very helpful brp2. Thanks.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nectar D'or is aged in a sauternes cask, not a sherry cask, I find it much different than A'bunadh. Glenmorangie original is a good expression of the highlands as well, probably a bit more typical than A'bunadh.

I'm suggesting a highland, an islay and an Isle. So if you can find any of the basics of those areas for cheap where you are, i would get one. If you are in a place that has a very unique selection, unavailable where you live, then I would buy something rare, but Huntsman is a much better advisor for the rare and obscure scotches than I am.

Longmorn

Reaction score
Re the Cambus: "Grain whisky, much like Merlot after Sideways, has always had a negative reputation because it was considered the cheap slop used to cut single malt into blended whisky. Because it's made from unmalted corn, wheat, and barley and distilled on a column still, rather than a pot still, it's much cheaper to make."

From the description at K&L: http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1142683

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re the Cambus: "[COLOR=2B2117]Grain whisky, much like Merlot after Sideways, has always had a negative reputation because it was considered the cheap slop used to cut single malt into blended whisky. Because it's made from unmalted corn, wheat, and barley and distilled on a column still, rather than a pot still, it's much cheaper to make."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2117]From the description at K&L: [/COLOR]http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1142683 

Wow--nothing but raves in the rest of that K&L link. Nice pick-up, Shawn!

Last edited:

blocky

Reaction score
Local stores have Talisker 1996 Distiller's Edition for the same price as the regular Talisker 10. A better way to try something salty?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re the Cambus: "[COLOR=2B2117]Grain whisky, much like Merlot after Sideways, has always had a negative reputation because it was considered the cheap slop used to cut single malt into blended whisky. Because it's made from unmalted corn, wheat, and barley and distilled on a column still, rather than a pot still, it's much cheaper to make."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2117]From the description at K&L: [/COLOR]http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1142683 

Thanks Longmorn. Info from the link was helpful.

Wow--nothing but raves in the rest of that K&L link. Nice pick-up, Shawn!

Much appreciated brp2. I'm usually more swayed by the reviews prior to purchasing a product, especially since I have tasted this already. Having said that it is still nice to read positive information about it. I do have to take it with a grain of salt since all of the reviewers work for the site selling the scotch. Bottom line is it taste very good and has shot up to the top of my list. Again, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics