1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. alexg

alexg Senior member

Is Lonach bottled stuff any good? A store near me has a Bunnahabhain 40 year for like $150, and a Glendronach 42 for 99. Worth buying?

2. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

They are bottled by Duncan Taylor (who is a very reputable bottler). I would personally buy at least one at those prices, and I have liked Bunnahabhain when I have tried it.

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Those are almost unbelievably low prices. Those bottles usually go for 1k+ according to wine-searcher. The Bunna 18 runs ~$150.

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Anybody got a thought about Oban DE vs Oban 18? They're right about the same price. I was a little underwhelmed by Oban 14, nothing wrong with it but it didn't pop for me. Everyone seems to love the older expressions though.

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Haven't tried the 18 yet, but Oban DE is very nice. Drinking my standard Ardbeg 10 tonight.

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I like Oban 14, but much prefer Oban 18. I would definitely pick up a bottle, especially if the price differential is pretty minor for you. I haven't tried the DE so can only give a positive opinion on the 18 year.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I was an usher on Saturday when some friends got married and they gifted me a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Haven't tried it yet -- been on Sudafed for the last few days -- but I'm looking forward to it; the only Scotch I've had with any noticeable smoke was Oban 14 (which I enjoyed) and some campfire-tasting shitkicker whose name I don't recall back in 2011 (which I didn't). I'm used to Cardhu/Macallan/Glenmorangie/Highland Park.

Here's hoping I kick this sinus thing soon so I can have a proper drink when I get home from the office.

8. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

Just bought my first bottle of Talisker 10. I'm a noob, started with Glenlivet, then to Highland Park, (which I really liked) and now the Talisker.

Loving the taste of the Talisker - tastes like leather and smoke, with a long finish.

Suggestions for my next bottle?

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Oban. If you can get the 18, skip right to that and ignore the 14. I like the 14 too but the 18 blows it out of the water for not too much more.

10. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion. I can probably find the 18 somewhere here in the Seattle area.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

The whole county sold out of 18 in the three days I delayed going out for it :censored:

DE it is! I don't know how it stacks up to the 18, but it blows the 14 out of the water.

12. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

If you like the Talisker then you will love the Lagavulin 16 Year Old which is my favourite, but not to everyones taste.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

talisker is nothing like laga 16

1 person likes this.
  14. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

There is a lot of overlapping in people who enjoy both, even though Lagavulin is a sherried Islay and Talisker is an Island whisky. Talisker DE is probably a better comparison, as it is also finished in sherry casks.

1 person likes this.
  15. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

Thanks guys. I think I want to work in to the Islay brands next, Lagavulin is on the list for sure.

Keep the suggestions coming.

16. b1os

b1os Senior member

You should also check out Ardbeg 10. Laphroaig 10, or Quarter Cask, too.

17. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just kopped this for a self Fathers Day gift, trying more of that Islay smoke flavor. My guy said this is very good, no longer being made and that I'd enjoy the taste.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

oooh. :( i've always wanted to try it but it's kinda expensive for a 10 year. i didn't know there was still any available in nyc

cheers to your dad!

19. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

Will do thanks. I think I'll try the Laphroaig 10 next. Might follow that with Ardbeg 10.

I'm finding I really like the peat/smoke flavors of the Islay malts.

20. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Get the cask strength if it's available. More of everything, and you can always dilute it down to the usual proof if you want.

I'm a Laphroaig CS evangelist.