1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

The NEAT glasses look pretty cool! I don't find the Glencairn glasses awkward although they are very bottom heavy. I've broken a wine glass by accident just putting them away when the base clipped the top of the wine glass. Drinking Jura Superstition out of a Glencairn glass tonight. Meh. Wife is digging it though. This is about as peaty as she'll go. She calls all my Islays "liquid dirt."

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I guess I don't like my hand affecting the temperature. the neat glasses you can hold by the edge. Also I feel like cask strengths don't really change that much with temperature. Completely subjective and possibly wrong opinion

3. devastitis

devastitis Senior member

Yep, I checked out the website. That's how I found out that MD had Bunna 18. I did like how they had a list of everything available, and a sale items only option. That's when I facepalmed when I saw the price differences. If I had bought everything I had in one go in MD, I probably would have saved $100 or so. The Darnestown store was very nice, and larger than any ABC store in VA I've been to, but probably because we can buy beer and wine in grocery stores.

4. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Has anyone ever had Glenfarclas 1982 family cask?
    It looks interesting, but I haven't seen many reviews.

Thanks,
    Joel

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I just use tumblers.

The bars in my area have a tendency to serve scotch ordered 'neat' in a brandy snifter, which I find pretty annoying.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I really like tulips for everything. Little ones for spirits and large ones for beer.

2 people like this.
  7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I prefer the single malt blender's glass that is typical of single malt tasting. It really makes a difference on the nosing, which for me is half the experience.

I can do tumblers at a bar, but have my preference at home...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  8. SkinnyGoomba

I barely notice alcohol on the nose, but that is the result of 9 years of single malts.

9. JubeiSpiegel

My nose isn't remarkable, but the blender's glass helps me to concentrate the smells successfully. It's a noticeable added benefit for me...

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Blender's glass = Glencairn?

11. JubeiSpiegel

There seems to be a few names for this type of glass, but yes, Glencairn makes more than a few of them.

12. brp2

brp2 Senior member

A bit more on the glassware front, but a different aspect: does anyone know where to find an interesting whisky/ey decanter that won't break the bank? I picked up a handle of Johnny Black and wouldn't mind it looking good.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

You want to get a decanter for JW Black? Also, why would you buy a handle (which is more expensive than regular bottles) and then refill it into a decanter?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Ebay?

15. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I've wanted a decanter for a while; I'd just put the Black in it as it'd be an everyday type drink that I wouldn't mind sitting out.

While I get your point -- or at least what I'm assuming is your point -- that nicer presentation should go to "better" scotch, I prefer to keep those in their bottles.

1 person likes this.
  16. SkinnyGoomba

I have JW black in a decanter, rather prefer it to seeing the bottle. One of my friends loves it, so giving his low brow scotch a high brow appointment.

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

I kinda like the bottle.

Oh, and fwiw, @brp2, the point I was mainly trying to make was regarding the second (edited) sentence of my post. Handles of decent liquor are meant for display

18. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Ah, sorry for misreading you B1os. But to me the handle looks a bit too outsized. Also, I bought it because I enjoy the Black; I need to stop drinking so much of the old, expensive stuff; and the handle was on a very good sale, coming in at much less than what two 750ml bottles of the Black would cost.

19. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, ok, then I can understand you. I've never seen handles on discount; they're always ridicuslously overpriced (as opposed to regular bottles). I like JW Black for cocktails. Not that big a fan of it neat, but I can understand that you like it. I'd much rather support fans of JW Black as opposed to those who condemn each and every blended malt--that'd be just ignorant.

20. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

I've heard of people using an old Hibiki bottle as a decanter after it is done. I think many Japanese whiskeys come in a decanter type bottle which may be worth checking out, as you get a delicious drink and a new decanter!