• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NYR, I havent had the 12yr, just the 16. I enjoy it enough I think I would consider a case.

Longmorn

Reaction score
I appreciate the effort, but it says they wont ship distilled spirits out of DC.

I plan to be in their area sometime next year so I might load up.

Crap - sorry about that. The shipping laws are ridiculous.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not to worry, I think I just have to take advantage of pricing in my travels.

gopherblue

Reaction score
I have a number of bottles of the 12 y.o. Lagavulin, from various years (it's an annual special release). I like it quite a bit...more so than the standard 16. Funny thing, it is younger, but bottled at cask strength and thus spendier.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every whiskey should be bottled at cask strength.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Astor definitely has the best price on it I have seen in the city. My local place wants $90 for it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whisky used to be much cheaper. In even recent history.

Morgan

Reaction score
Seriously. My best score was on Thanksgiving Day in 2004, when I went to pick up a bottle of wine on the way to my parents' house. I saw a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr lying on its side at the back of the shelf, and brought it to the front so that the clerk could reshelve it. I knew it usually retailed for about $80 or $90, and I had not planned to spend that kind of money that day, but there was no price tag and on a whim I asked how much it cost. The clerk was a young woman in her early twenties, and clearly didn't want to be at work that day. She turned the bottle over a couple times looking for price tag and, finding none, said "uh ... $19.99." Sold! It only comes out on special occasions and I still have a few fingers left.

Longmorn

Reaction score
It's great. Longrow is a heavily peated expression of Springbank. I'm not a usually fan of strong peat, but the finishing in Burgundy casks balances it with a strong wine character. Really good stuff. They make a Gaja finish too that is also excellent but harder to find.

gopherblue

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Longrow CV--used to be a deal-and-a-half but it's suffering the same price creep as other Scotch whiskies these days...still a good buy though.

...And I have a couple bottles of the Longrow 18 squirreled away that I picked up in London a few years back.

BTW, regarding the price of Laga 16...used to be seen regularly at Astor and Warehouse in NYC for under $50. But that was back when Oban was $35.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics