Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Ah, thats not listed, but I have it, in fact, had it a few nights ago...it is nice. My wife also likes it a lot. How does it compare with their other expressions.

This afternoon I had a dram (or three) of Monkey Shoulder...a blend of Speysides, but DELICIOUS. I took a nice 45 minute nap.

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I have not tried anything else from there, as they're generally hard to come by. I'm tempted by the 18, I think I want to go in that direction for most of my scotches.

3. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

I'm flummoxed by your evolution away from HP 18 (especially towards Balvenie!), but each to their own.

Three really notable distilleries you've overlooked are Bunnahabain (the 18 yr old is particularly good), Bruichladdich (huge variation in character across the many bottling they produce), and especially Glenlivet (the G&M 21 yr old 'George and JG Smith' bottling and the 1991 Nadurra Triumph are particular standouts).

For Macallan, you might give the Cask Strength a try - I think it's the best of their core bottlings.

I think Springbank is overpriced in general, but the 18 and the CV are the only two of that line I really like. If you can find it though, there's a Longrow finished in Gaja Barolo barrels that's outstanding. I've also had a good Glen Scotia but I don't recall which one.

You've also missed my namesake - Longmorn.

Finally - I see you've got Irish whiskey on there too, but no mention of Midleton's Very Rare. That is a huge oversight - best of the bunch in my experience.

4. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

PS The other Aberlours are generally good examples of sherried Speysides, but not at the top of that class. Much tamer thatn the A'Bunadh.

5. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

Hey, SFers. I've been trying a bunch of bottles lately and I have to say my favorites are Buffalo Trace, Glenlivet 18, and Macallan 12.

The ones I didn't prefer are Highland Park 12 and Lagavulin 16.

I'm still pretty new, so any recommendations towards the above are greatly appreciated.

6. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

[​IMG]

Went to the same liqour store in Shibjuku

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Totally recognize it. I was surprised that the Japanese whisky section is so orphaned.

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

hey guys, bourbon question for all of you...

i was recommended by 2 good friends 2 diff bourbons, Noah's Mill and and Booker's Bourbon, both are in the 90s on points and both won gold medals...

anyone care to chime in which is better/smoother

9. NewYorkIslander

Gnatty8 is the Bourbpn expert...he turned me on to a few. I like the Hudson Four Grain, but it's pricey at $50 for a 375ml. I've tried B&E which is good, Kings County which is good, and very smooth, and Col EH Taylor, which was all good.

I have yet to crack open my bottle of Pappy 20 year, but I fear I'll be disappointed. Not sure how much of the hype over this is its rarity rather than its taste.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I've had the 20. Definitely the taste

11. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

you have a Pappy, NICE..... impossible to get here in the bay...

12. NewYorkIslander

Same here. We put our names on a list, and were lucky to get a call. The place got 3 bottles, and were happy to offer us one. I was stoked!

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I've had the 15. It was the first premium tier bottle that I had, and I've gotten three more since. It is truly excellent, holds up to everything else that I've tried. I've only had the 20 by the glass and didn't think it was a huge step up, not enough to pay extra for anyway. I honestly like the 15 more than the 23.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  15. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

well since i cannot find any Pappy, i am trying to explore other bourbons... i've tried b&e, buffalo trace, bullet, those are all on the cheaper side of bourbon so i want a higher tier bottle now