1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

what would you bring home now?

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I have the Nikka Yoichi 15...its lovely.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

[​IMG]

No question. And yes, I know it is probably the hipsterest Japanese malt, but I had a wonderful Karuizawa experience at Bar High Five.

~H

4. Bond111

Bond111 Senior member

I picked this up tonight. I was able to try a dram of HP 12, and also Balvenie Double Wood 12. HP was good, but had some peat to it, which wasn't terrible by any means, but wanted something else. The Double wood 12 was real solid too. I just winged it from there, as this sounded very tasty, and I'm pretty new to Scotch anyways, so why not explore? After my first sip just now, I am liking it.
    [​IMG]

5. agoldf

agoldf Senior member

Jealous.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  6. cchen

cchen Senior member

Agreed. Every Karuizawa I've tried has been amazing, to say the least. The prices these days are skyrocketing out of control...

7. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Bond, that is a great bottle, enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. The Phog

The Phog Member

The expansion of my collection continues. Added Bowmore 12 because my Laphroaig QC has become my favorite and I needed another Islay.

9. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Any thoughts on The Balvenie DoubleWood 17 year old?

I've had the 12 and I like it but saw this at the liquor store of the little town I moved to a few months ago. I think it was $130.

I tend to like sweeter whiskys that are finished in sherry casks such as The Macallan 18 and I've been trying to catch up to this thread for a while now to get some ideas. Wondering if I should hold out and splurge on the PortWood if I can find it.

Grabbed a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or ($75) that I've been looking forward to trying. Surprised they had it in stock because the place is such a hole in the wall. They had some Highland Park and Oban too. Can't remember which year.

Also a Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve that I was thinking to grab at some point.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Speaking of, I have a sample dram of Balvenie Portwood 21. Been looking forward to trying that one tonight...

11. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have similar tastes and just picked up a Macallan Fine Oak 17, initial taste is that I like it better than the 18 and 21. My alcohol monger also told me to try Compass Box Hedonism, have not opened that one yet though.

12. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion. Yet another to add to the ever-growing list of whiskys to try.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I like the fine oak Macallan as well. Oban 18 is great and not overly sweet, also a huge fan of HP 18 but it's not sweet really. HP18 seems to do well with people in both camps.

14. NewYorkIslander

I'm a big fan of anything Balvenie does. The Doublewood is nice, and sweet. $130 isn't bad either. I was lucky enough to pick up a Portwood 21 on sale at $124.99 about a year ago...cheapest I've seen recently is $50 more than that.

Enjoyed my Tyrconnel 10 Year Port Cask last night before the "game". Back to bourbon tonight.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

How do you like the port finish on the 21, I've been unimpressed by port finishes generally speaking.

16. borderline

borderline Senior member

I've been drinking scotch for awhile but have been tasked with bringing a bottle to a friend's birthday party tonight. The budget is $100 and it has to be fairly universally enjoyed, nothing too extreme.

There's a Balvenie 12 single barrel for $80, but I'm thinking about the Glenlivet Nadurra 16 for $80. Any thoughts or alternatives to consider? These are people who probably would rather have a Johnny Walker Blue, so in terms of being impressive it probably needs to be older than 12 and smooth. And I don't have access to a ton of options here.

Thanks for advice.

17. Nil

Nil Senior member

Highland Park 18 should come in around $90-100.

18. NewYorkIslander

I like it a lot...reminds me of Christmas in a glass...whatever that means.

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Are you looking for impressive or good?

20. borderline

borderline Senior member

Yeah, well, I think I'm looking for the impressive/widely appealing demographic. So not some old Laphroig. There's a 21 yr Glenlivet that looks interesting for about $120.