1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Are there any particular Arran bottlings that you have stuck out above others?

2. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Picked up both HP18 and Oban 18 yr tonight.

1 person likes this.
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Oban 18 year is great. Finally finished the last dram in my prior bottle once I bought the new one.

4. The Phog

The Phog Member

Added Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve and Ardmore Traditional Cask to my collection tonight.

5. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

So I cracked open the Auchentoshan 18 from the early 80's with my dad....after we tasted a modern Auch 12 year old....was GREAT! I've always subscribed to the fact that whiskey doesn't age in the bottle, but this had such a similar mouthfeel to the 80's bourbons I've had that I'm starting to turn...unless the style 30 years ago (or 50 years ago, when it was distilled) were just THAT different. Very unique body on them.

6. SkinnyGoomba

I imagine scotch is different from batch to batch slightly. Cognac makers combat this by changing the blend to continuously reproduce the house style and I assume blended scotch producers do the same, but what can single malt producers do to reproduce their product with identical results?

7. NewYorkIslander

To me the difference wasn't slight, but very noticeable...and noticeably different from the modern bottling because it was very similar to the older 80's bourbons I have tasted. I wish I was good enough at tasting to be able to get into the minute differences between the same malt...are you there yet SG?

8. SkinnyGoomba

I doubt it, I don't drink the same ones often enough. Another ten years maybe.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  9. SkinnyGoomba

took this picture the other day, figured you guys would enjoy.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. agoldf

agoldf Senior member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  11. agoldf

agoldf Senior member

One of the biggest differences is the willingness to use much older stock to produce a higher quality release.
    Historically, distilleries rarely released very old whisky (20+) but would use the casks to enhance their regular bottlings. As lder releases gained value that became extremely wasteful. Years ago it was very common to find 20+ yo barrels blended into a 15 yo statement release. Now those barrels are either held or put into a 21 year old release.

1 person likes this.
  12. NewYorkIslander

Another find yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm dating it 1965.

As well as these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mid 80's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mid 80's as well.

Anyone with any other info, would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Jealous on the Lochnagar.

14. agoldf

agoldf Senior member

dittos

15. ama

ama Senior member

If you looked at Balvenie 15 dates you used to be able to find some massively older whiskys. I remember picking up a 26yo one once.

16. NewYorkIslander

More luck:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Anything gone aground recently?

[​IMG]

Nice work, I'm green in one eye and blue in the other!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  18. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Tried the Hazelburn 8 tonight, it's ok with a nice sweet aftertaste, but it doesn't last very long. I think that this would be much better aged for a few more years. There is a 12 year that I think would be really good. Overall it was worth buying, but I don't think that I'll be buying another bottle.

19. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

I've recently gotten into scotch and am wondering if anyone has any tips on jump-starting my palate? I feel like I'm wasting the things I taste because I can't grasp more than a few of the flavor notes shared by the label and reviewers. I've only tried maybe 8-12 different ones, and I'm only able to distinguish between like/dislike at this point.

20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

^
    I'm a newbie as well. Best thing I did is to educate myself on whiskey tasting, putting me into a better position to enjoy and get more out of my whiskeys. I asked what whiskeys were good entry levels, and what different regions had to offer. Of course, sampling for me has been the hardest, but I am learning to pick up samples before I invest in a whole bottle that I might not like.