Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Nope, thinking about picking up a Camus however.

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I liked that a lot. Had the VSOP last winter. I've been trying Armagnacs this season so I haven't gotten another bottle, but it's certainly on my repeater list.

Also the scotch has been cutting into my "anything other than scotch" liquor budget :laugh:

3. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Just pointing out in closest thread,

Just found out Makers Mark will be watered down to meet increasing global demand. Will go down to 84 proof.

I always enjoyed this bourbon. Never have turned into a (bourbon) whiskey 'snob', but this was a good bourbon for price and availability.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Perhaps they should consider meeting this burgeoning global demand by buying up the hundreds of bottles that are sitting on the shelves of the last two liquor stores I was in..

5. CTJoyce

CTJoyce Member

For bourbon I prefer Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek to makers. They are about the same price as Makers Mark (well $5 more) and in my opinion taste much better.

6. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

A while back we had a discussion about the sources of smoke, creosote (tarry) and iodine flavors (respectively) in Scotch, and I said I'd experiment a little at my local Scotch bar (the incomparable Jack Rose ). Well, I finally got around to it last night, although perhaps not quite as systematically as I'd hoped.

First up was Springbank 12 yr old Cask Strength, which has very little smokiness and no noticeable tarry or iodine flavors, but a distinct impression of sea salt.

Next was the Longrow 7 yr old Gaja Barolo finish. Longrow is essentially a peated expression of Springbank, and while the flavors of the barolo barrels balance out the peat smoke, it's definitely there. That said, I got smoke and tar flavors, but not much in the way of iodine. I'm not sure where Longrow get's their peat from, but I'd be interested to know.

Finally, Bruichladdich Islay Barley. This is an unpeated Scotch made from a type of Norse barley that's original to Islay, but no longer commonly grown or used in Scotch. This was quite distinctive - no smokiness at all, some citrus and pinesap but like the Springbank, a definite maritime signature to my tastebuds.

Obviously YMMV.

Cheers,
    LM

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

^ Why are all the bartenders aloof and kind of superior in DC? In the four months I spent there, I drank at Jack Rose, the Gibson, the Columbia Room, PX, and a few other places cocktail joints, as well as when dining alone, as I usually sit at the bar if by myself, and it was pretty much all the same. I called it 'DC Bartender Syndrome.'

~ H

8. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

^ I don't doubt your poor experiences, but I've had exactly the opposite experience. At Jack Rose, they pour heavy for me and occasionally send the last dram in a bottle over on the house. Had a long talk with Harvey Fry last night too - the man (whose huge Scotch collection is the foundation of Jack Rose) seems to know just about everything about Scotch. If it hadn't been partially a business meeting I would have asked him about our peat dilemma.

At Round Robin I've had even better luck. On one occasion they sent over nearly $200 worth of Scotch on the house.

Sorry to hear you had bad luck - next time you're in town PM me and we'll hit up these places and see if we can't remedy the problem.

9. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Damn, thats some selection. Any place you can recommend in NYC or even better Brooklyn with collections like that?

10. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Yeah - apparently it's the largest single malt collection in North America, and Harvey's house is still lined with bottled floor to ceiling in every room.

As for NYC - it's a good question I can't answer from personal experience. I've heard of Saint Andrews ( http://www.standrewsnyc.com/scotch.html ) and it looks like they've got a pretty good selection. Also heard of Keen's on 36th and Whisky Park but I can't vouch for any of these - sorry!

Someone on here must know the NYC Scotch scene...

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yeah, I don't know what it was; thought perhaps I smelled like an outsider. I'll be in town next week, but sadly committed to work functions entirely.

12. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

Keens has a great selection. So does Brandy Library, but it is spendy.

13. SkinnyGoomba

'

Got it and enjoyed it, I'm pretty happy with my cognacs now, so I think I'll just keep refreshing these bottles until i get bored.

14. SkinnyGoomba

Glendronich 12 year waiting on the bar for tonight. :slayer:

15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Brandy Library! Thats right, I actually know one of the owners there, he's a client of Frank.