1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

^ Not Taxgenius, but as someone who has drank a good amount of Lagavulin and Peat Monster, I'd say both are enjoyable but the Lagavulin is in a class by itself.

2. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Thanks Archibald,
    I agree that the Lagavulin is fantastic, I much prefer it to the Ardbeg Oogy that I have.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Bourbons basically come in three categories. Wheaters (that's Makers, Wellers, Van Winkle Family) tend to be smoother and maybe sweeter, others made with rye instead of wheat...tend to be spicier, and the barrel proofs, which in my opinion are in a league of their own. I fond myself almost solely drinking barrel proof bourbons, as the regular proofs just don't do it for me anymore.

4. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

It's way smokier than Lag. As a friend of mine says, if you want to smoke a cigar in a non-smoking area, go for the Peat Monster.

2 people like this.
  5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Have any of you tried Tullibardine 225 or Springbank?

6. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

I've had quite a few Springbanks (12, 15, 18, CV, calados and amontillado finish) and in all honesty, I've never understood why so many aficionados like it so much. I get the appeal of the seaside brine note, but there's so little else going on. I prefer HP or Bruichladdich for that note.

7. NewYorkIslander

I just found two bottles of the Springbank 10 year 100 proof. It's fantastic!

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

^^^ Under a rock? Good find, I'm lucky to find coins down the sofa!

Just back from NYE celebrations, me and the boys enjoyed a Lagavulin 12 year old nightcap

Happy days, happy 2014 to you and yours

1 person likes this.
  9. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

NYI - what do you like so much about the Springbank? I keep giving it chances and not being moved.

10. NewYorkIslander

This is very smooth, has a nice sweetness to it and the combination of that and the salty brine makes it nice. i also like the higher proof of the 10 year I found...I find too many Scotches at 40-43% just don't have enough bite for me.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

No picture, but a friend broke out a bottle of Glengoyne Teapot Dram for NYE. It's only available from the distillery, and has a neat story. The distillery workers used to be allowed three samplings of whisky throughout the day, a three finger pour straight from the cask. They'd rotate expressions throughout the week. Any excess would be poured into a large teapot, the resulting blend would eventually be offered up as well. The modern version is a blend of five different agings, bottled at cask strength. Terrific depth of flavor, and a really big whisky. Drinkable at cask strength (~59%), but opened up nicely with a little water.

I've never had any other Glengoyne to compare it to, unfortunately. Worth a sample if you get a chance.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  12. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

My wife and I visited their distillery during our honeymoon in 2011. Their 10-year is forgettable, but their 17-year and 21-year offerings are sublime (and harder to find in the US).

Wish I'd known about this -- I'd've used up our entire customs allowance of liquor right there. It sounds delightful. Guess I'll have to go back sometime. Thanks for the tip!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. ama

ama Senior member

If you can ever find an old Glengoyne Scottish Oak kicking around jump on it. Really interesting stuff.

14. The Phog

The Phog Member

Got into Scotch recently, and this thread has been a huge help. I now have a small collection that includes Aberlour A'Bunadh, Highland Park 12, Cragganmore 12, and just today added Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

1 person likes this.
  15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Those are some nice choices

1 person likes this.
  16. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

That's a great start! Another that I would recommend is Glenmorangie original, it is fairly cheap and a sweeter expression that I think is worth having. I also really like the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, it is port finished and a bit different than other expressions.

17. ronnewman

ronnewman New Member

Any time is a good time for scotch and the port is an excellent choice.

18. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Ardbeg 10 currently. So very nice in winter.

1 person likes this.
  19. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

I had a dram of Dalwhinnie 15 followed by HP 12 tonight as a break into the weekend.Stocked up on 3 bottles taking advantage of the Xmas sales in UK before coming back to NY.

20. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Picked up a bottle of Dalmore 15 today going through duty free. The 70 cl bottle retails for $110 here, I paid just over $60 for the 100 cl bottle. Pretty decent deal.
    Looking forward to tasting it!

1 person likes this.