1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Really? Mac 18 is ok, but it is not particularly special -- it's ubiquity, and "accessibility" taste-wise kind of dull that. I mean, if someone got me a Mac 18 I'd think that they were kind to get me a really nice scotch, but I would not think that they got something special for me, but merely that they got me something well-regarded. The best whisky anyone (other than family) ever bought me was Laphroaig 18 (from a form boss). Now that was awesome!

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Oh, I see that you said she likes rare and unusual: I love Mortlach and Royal Lochnagar almost all of the time. Ace had a phenomenal Douglas Lainig Roayl Lochnagar for $150 the last time I was there. It's rich, like cake with spices. Yum.

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Not sure if they ship, but Warehouse Wines in NYC has Talisker 25 cask strength (2005 release IIRC) for $120 or so. That would make a pretty amazing gift.

4. ama

ama Senior member

They don't ship.

5. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Wow--glad to see that people who know much more than I do came through with really strong recommendations.

1 person likes this.
  6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Thanks, Huntsman. I'll use your advice.

I guess I owe a post back on what I actually buy.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Here is what I bought, how did I do?

Bruichladdich Black Art - 1989, 21 yr old. I got it for $190.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Eh. I think it's a great whiskey and I would appreciate it as a gift but I wouldn't pay that much for it myself. Lots of fruit but not unbalanced.

9. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

I think the Black Art is great Scotch, and that's middle of the market pricing, so big thumbs up from me.

Indesertum - what bottle would you have spent that money on instead? Seems to me it hits all of IDFNL's criteria.

10. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Great choice, I agree. I was sorely tempted by the Black Art yesterday but opted for two rare (to me) scotches instead of one.

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Been drinking the bourbon lately, but after a long weekend of guys drinking scotch at the Trunk show (and Scotch breath conversations) I had to break into my stash...Oban 14 today. I think the season has arrived for me.

12. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

My buddy gave me a taste of his, I thought it was most excellent.

J

13. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I find myself drinking bourbon in summer and scotch in winter as well.

Although The Balvenie Caribbean Cask is a good summer scotch if you can catch it on sale.

J

14. 1up

1up Senior member

Anyone know if that Lagavulin 16 for $54 is still on sale at Costco? In Canada as well?

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I think you did great! A special-edition, cultish whisky that has good cred and focuses on secondary maturation of various varieties. I think it shows that you went out of your way to get something not on the usual 'hit list', so congrats! I have not had the Black Arts, so let us know how it tastes (I presume that you will get a taste?).

Incidentally, if you got it from Ace I hope it was a good experience. I really enjoyed it there.

~ H

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Scotch rookie here:

I have been trying (and enjoying) Old Pultneys, 12 & 17. The 17 is a revelation of flavor, so I can't wait to try the 21 yr.

I have tried the standard MaCallan 12 yr., and will admit It's a little too sherried for my taste. Have tied the Yamazaki 12 as well, and found it tasty indeed.

What recommendations would you have for a newbie?

17. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Nice to hear from another fan of Old Pulteney - doesn't get a lot of attention 'round here.

Sticking to relatively mainstream (and therefore accessible) single malts, I'd suggest the Oban 14 or 18, the Glenlivet Nadurra Triumph (better than the plain old Nadurra, IMO), something from Springbank (12 yr old cask strength?), or the Bruichladdich 'The Laddie' 10. If you want to try something with peat along with the maritime character of Old Pulteney, the Talisker 10 might be a good choice, too. It is more sherried than the others, but the sweetness is more than balanced by black pepper and peat.

18. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I have an extra bottle of Ardbeg Day (a special release from a few years ago) I'm looking to swap with another Islay that I don't have, or something special (Islay or not). Anyone here interested in a swap of some sort? I do it often on a couple of private facebook groups but figured I'd post it here as well.

19. ama

ama Senior member

Day was released June 2012.

20. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Thanks for the comments, guys. I will taste it next week when I give it to her. As I mentioned, there was more to it than the purist in this choice, knowing her personality this was the right fit in terms of packaging, rarity, and theme.

I look forward to finding out what it tastes like.

Huntsman, yes, I went to ACE. A guy named Joe helped me out, he seemed pretty knowledgable. This was the last bottle he had, he said he'll never see it again. He told me to expect some big price increases in the next year... Asia is gobbling up all the production. He also said we may start to see less and less variety here because if it.