1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Here in Pa. we've got a pretty closed market when it comes to alcohol and as such, not a great selection of single malt. Fortunately once a year my wife visits a friend in L.A. and she brings me back a bottle of something I can't get in Pa. This year she brought this....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this brand and what your thoughts were. I like it. It's not quite as peaty as Lagavulin but a little more interesting than glenlivet.

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

You don't think a good sherried scotch is something worth having a taste of to start? I fond HP to Tal to Lag is going from brine to salt to peat and is all in the same taste family, where as a sherried scotch might offer a bit more variety...

3. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Shawn: not sure if you're asking about Cambus or Signatory here. I know next to nothing about Cambus, but Signatory is a secondary bottler -- a company that buys product from distilleries and bottles it on its own. I've had a couple different Signatory bottlings in the past, including whisky from Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Highland Park (a '91, from the un-chillfiltered collection which I currently have), and Springbank, and I've liked them all. This will tell you a bit more about what you've got, http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-19631.aspx, and I'm sure there are some here who are even more knowledgable.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Point taken, worth picking up the Aberlour a'bunadh for a bit of variety.

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Almost every time anybody posts prices, I feel like I'm stealing. I paid $54 for Uigeadail recently, $63 for A'bunadh. I can't usually get the more obscure drams, but great prices on the stuff that's available.

The Laddie really has some nice depth for a 10 year.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  6. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Assuming I get the a'bunadh and I could buy the Lag at home for roughly the same price, what would be a good bottle to round out the selection?
    I can only bring 2 across the border, that's why I was trying to keep it to 2 bottles. With little cost difference with the Lag, I might as well buy a different bottle.
    Would Nectar D'or fit that gap, or is it very similar to the a'bunadh?

I have appreciated all the help.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

I would try the Talisker Storm rather than the 10 - it's a smoother scotch for the price than the 10.

8. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

Also, the 10 refers to the absolute youngest of the casks in the blend, so you could theoretically have something that's 80 percent 17 and 20 percent 10 and it would still need to be called a 10.

I actually think the no-age-statement taliskers are better than the 10, but they can't charge as much because the youngest element is probably around 7 years old rather than 10 (which doesn't mean it isn't better).

Also, different casks require different amounts of time in them to get the most out of them.

9. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

I find Nectar D'Or to be less complex and enjoyable then Glenmorangie's Original. The Original is also less expensive I believe, which helps you out!

10. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Very helpful brp2. Thanks.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Nectar D'or is aged in a sauternes cask, not a sherry cask, I find it much different than A'bunadh. Glenmorangie original is a good expression of the highlands as well, probably a bit more typical than A'bunadh.

I'm suggesting a highland, an islay and an Isle. So if you can find any of the basics of those areas for cheap where you are, i would get one. If you are in a place that has a very unique selection, unavailable where you live, then I would buy something rare, but Huntsman is a much better advisor for the rare and obscure scotches than I am.

12. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Re the Cambus: "Grain whisky, much like Merlot after Sideways, has always had a negative reputation because it was considered the cheap slop used to cut single malt into blended whisky. Because it's made from unmalted corn, wheat, and barley and distilled on a column still, rather than a pot still, it's much cheaper to make."

From the description at K&L: http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1142683

13. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Wow--nothing but raves in the rest of that K&L link. Nice pick-up, Shawn!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  14. blocky

blocky Member

Local stores have Talisker 1996 Distiller's Edition for the same price as the regular Talisker 10. A better way to try something salty?

15. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Thanks Longmorn. Info from the link was helpful.

Much appreciated brp2. I'm usually more swayed by the reviews prior to purchasing a product, especially since I have tasted this already. Having said that it is still nice to read positive information about it. I do have to take it with a grain of salt since all of the reviewers work for the site selling the scotch. Bottom line is it taste very good and has shot up to the top of my list. Again, thanks.

16. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Finally, some glenlivet love. My go-to varies depending on cash flow. Glenlivet 18 is easily my favorite single malt (right behind blended JWB). Because I'm a fairly regular scotch drinker, I'm usually drinking glenlivet 12. I haven't tried the 21 but keep promising to purchase a bottle. Lagavulin and Macallan follow closely behind glenlivet.

17. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I find Macallan overpriced these days, still quite good, and I order it occasionally when out, but for the money in a store I often feel that I can do better.

J

18. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Same here in Pa. It used to be in my regular rotation but the drastic price increase that occurred around five years ago or so has relegated it more to background status.

19. Nil

Nil Senior member

What do you all think of Ardbeg Ardbog? I'm debating between that and the Uigeadail for my next Islay.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The Ardbog and Oogie are both solid, solid choices. I think I prefer the sherry of the Oogie, but the Ardbog is delicious. The only thing worth noting is that the Bog is a special edition, while the Uigeadail is not. I have enjoyed both immensely, and I think that they are both worthy additions to a collection, despite their similarities.