1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Curious about the McCarthys...

2. brp2

brp2 Senior member

It's interesting. I remember it being very smokey, and this batch was reviewed as such. Maybe my palate was off last night, but I got lots of sweetness in the nose and a good deal of it in the taste too. Very nice, but not what I was expecting.

1 person likes this.
  3. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

I'm really enjoying Ardbog. A little water opens it up but I prefer it au naturel. Definitely my favorite release in a while.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

My 140pf Mortlach would challenge even you neat!

~ H

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

140 proof will certainly put some hair on your chest, as they say. Which bottle in the royal lochnagar range do you prefer?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  6. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I like Knob Creek in my old fashioneds. Or even though it's sacrilege, Gentleman Jack.

J

7. 13k

13k Senior member

Costco (west coast anyways) put up their Lagavulin 16 for ~$54, and Oban 14 for ~$48. Picked up a few bottles this past weekend. I know it's been cheaper but what the hell?

8. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

Peat and Salt is All You Need

Talisker 18 is my favorite
    Standard go-tos are now Talisker Storm (NAS), Coal Ila 12. There's a place around here that has Benriach Curiositas 10 for super-cheap, so I always have one of those. I used to buy more Springbank but they've become over-priced where I live - I still love me a 15. Same with Ardbeg. I also enjoy Lagavulin, Jura makes some nice ones for the price as well. I generaly don't like Highlands, although I had a Pulteny 21 that was nice.

If you come across it, the relatively rare Benriach Solstice 17 is certainly worth having just to try a few times - not a typical Benriach/Speyside, but very interesting.

9. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Hi all,
    I am looking for some advise. I have drank scotch in the past when out and enjoy it, but for the last few years have been drinking beer. I bought a bottle of JW double black a month or so ago and have been drinking it. I have been drinking scotch as my night cap and want to get more bottles to experiment with what I like. I have read through this thread and looked online and asked friends for some recommendations. I am in Ontario where prices are high and heading to Florida next week through Buffalo. So while I am there I am going to grab a couple of bottles. I am only allowed to bring two back, so wanted to get two decent bottles that represent different aspects of scotch, so that I can get a better idea of what I like. I have looked at tasting notes and have put together a few bottles that I think would fit the bill, but would appreciate suggestions. I am not afraid of big flavours or more subtle drink, just want to get a basis. As drams at a bar here are 15ish each I figure I am better off to buy a bottle and experiment. I would like to spend less than $150 on the 2 bottles.
    Bottles in consideration:
    Balvenie Doublewood 12 -$47
    Talisker 10 - $51 I was thinking of getting this
    Highland park 12 - $50
    Lagavulin 16 - $90
    Ardbeg Uigeadail $68
    Dalwhinnie 15 - $52
    Cynelish 14 - $60
    Abelour A'bunadh - $76 I was thinking of getting this

Any advise on whether these would be two good bottles to start with, or if others in this list would be better would be greatly appreciated. If there is something that you think I should take into consideration as well, please let me know.

Thank you,
    Joel

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

If you're looking for variety, grab one of these:
    Lag 16
    Ardbeg Uig
    Talisker 10

They are the smokier, peatier, saltier (in that order)

And either the Balvenie or the Arbelour (the cask strength is cool) as they are sweeter Speysides.

If it were me it'd be the Lag16 and the A'bunadh. I have them both, and love them!

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I know it was a couple weeks back but just sat down to reply to you guys...

Thanks! I'm really planning to fill out a nice well rounded collection of all the regions, probably around 10-15 bottles tops over the next few months then pair it back to a working 5-8 or something once I figure out what I like plus what I serve to friends/family. It just so happens these were the heavy hitters I was most excited to try (even though I know I shouldn't go full peat/retard right away), and they were the biggest savings compared to Ontario/LCBO.

Thanks. I'll branch out from the Islays, don't worry :embar:. I guess somewhere between Eagle and Beam I'll figure out if I even like bourbon. Just put 1792 on the list so will keep an eye out for that, thanks!

Yep, that's what I figured. Already got a few more on my list based on your guys' recommendations.

something along the lines of:
    Balvenie double wood (I get the impression it's a little boring?),
    Jura 10 (or superstition? what do you guys think?)
    Macallan cask strength - I have the 12, and I know this is a limited bottling. You guys think it's different enough from the 12 or just the fact that it's going bye-bye that it's worth picking up?
    Auchentoshen classic or Glen Kinchie as recommended
    Glenfiddich 15... thoughts?
    Talisker 10
    Black Grouse
    Cardhu 12

Thanks SG. I appreciate the insight. I'm on an incense/musk/leather fragrance kick right now so figured I'd go for the heavy hitters, but I do understand and I won't give up on these even if they don't hit right away. I'm going to quickly round things out with some more delicate juice too.

Another BN'er, great! I haven't been systematic about it in my buying, but your idea of trying a classic example from each region is exactly my plan actually.
    Can you guys recomend 2-3 good examples of what each region is about? Is that asking too much?
    Would love to do tastings or try minis but it's hard to find locally (Canada). I can order these at bars but sometimes it's $10, sometimes it's $25-30 per glass, so in a way, just dropping $50-100 and getting a whole bottle is a low risk. Worst case will give it to a friend/father.
    Oh, and to your last point, I agree! I think I'm going to spend the next year exploring liquor of all sorts, with a focus on Scotch. But also going to get into other whiskys, bourbon, rum, tequila/mescal, vodka(?), liquors, etc

Awww, they're $99 here locally and in short supply. Think it's worth it even at that price?

Thank ye' kindly. I'm going to enjoy trying them all really, including the ER.

12. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

For variety I would go with Lagavulin and glenlivet 18. Will likely talked you a little over $150 but not much. Substituting Glenlivet 12 instead of the 18 will keep you under $150.

13. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Been hanging out over in the Alden thread and somehow stumbled onto this one. Man am I glad I did. Started drinking single malt about 10-12 years ago and my taste pretty much run the gamut. If I was picking without regard to price, my top picks in order would be:

• Johnnie Walker Blue (realize its a blend but who cares. It is really really good)
      Glenlivet 18
      Lagavulin
      Macallan 12

Since JWB is out of my price range except for special occasions, I usually go between the Glenlivet (both 18 and 12) and Lagavulin. I've spent the past 10 minutes or so reading the past 3 or 4 pages of posts and find the conversations really interesting. What has surprised me is that I don't think I've seen glenlivet mentioned once. I've heard complaints that the flavor is a little bland and it is certainly mild when compared to something more peaty like Lagavulin but I would be interested to get some of your thoughts on it.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Personally, I find Glenlivet boring and most of their expressions to be single-noted and bland. So I typically stay away from most of their drams. Then again, I am an Islay guy at heart, so what I say has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I have been sipping on the following lately, which is a major departure from my normal Ardbeg / Lagavulin / Laphroaig rotation:

Glenmorangie Signet
    Balvenie Caribbean Cask
    The Arran Malt Devil's Punch Bowl Ch. 2

The Signet is pretty outstanding, and I really like the Arran Malt. It is an intriguing mix of sherry, smoke, and apple flavors. Discordant but somewhat harmonious. The Signet is also one that I would highly recommend if you can find it. The Caribbean Cask was a bit too single-noted for my tastes, and a bit too sweet.

1 person likes this.
  15. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

The whisky that I frequent the most (depending on the time of year and day) would have to be:

Lagavulin 1991 Distillers Edition (winter)
    Bowmore 15 YO Laimrig Cask (autumn/winter)
    Oban 14 YO (autumn, day/evening)

Glenkinchie 12 YO (spring/summer, afternoon, aperitif)
    Dalwhinnie 15 YO (summer/autumn, afternoon)
    Glenmorangie Original 10 YO (year round, afternoon/aperitif)

16. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Age is important depending on the flavour profile, smoothness and characteristics of Scotch that you're interested in enjoying.
    There are some very decent 10 year olds to get you started, particularly "Glenmorangie 10 year old The Original" and "Bruichladdich 'The Laddie Ten' 10 year old"....

1 person likes this.
  17. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Not that you can go wrong, but to get the most value from your $150, I'd get the Lagavulin 16, and the Doublewood.

J

18. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

You're getting some good advice from the others, but I'll add one more consideration to the discussion.

Keep in mind the local (Ontario) price of your options when you decide what to buy. I love Lagavulin 16, but it's only slightly more expensive at the LCBO. The Ardbeg Uigeadail, on the other hand, is roughly $160 here so you'd be saving big in Florida. And it's a fantastic Scotch.

19. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Thank you for all of the replies!

I didn't think to check prices here. It looks like that would be a great deal on the Ardberg compared to here and the LCBO is sold out of A'bdunadh. I think that I will get these bottles.

20. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Probably better off starting with the standard Ardbeg 10yr if you are just starting out. A lot of the list is somewhat redundant, so I would start small, get an Islay and Isle and a highland if you can fit it in the budget. Best to understand the regional differences before getting into the individual distilleries.

Of your list I would chose the Talisker 10, the Laga 16 and the Highland park 12. All good expressions of their region. The heavy sherry or heavy peat/salt are better for those who have acquired a taste specifically for those traits.