1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. brp2

brp2 Senior member

All: since a number of you have put me on the lookout for Mortlach, do any of you have any information about the relatively recent independent bottling First Editions Mortlach? I can't find much on line and it's not apparent whether this is a decent expression of the distillery or if it's just another weak bottling.

Another possibility -- from another distinctive distillery but on a different end of the spectrum -- is Ardbeg's Galileo. I've read online that this is very unlike Ardbeg's other offerings, all of which I like (having had the 10, Corry', and Uigeadail rather recently). Any thoughts?

2. brp2

brp2 Senior member

So I went to the source (First Editions) on the Mortlach, and this is what they had to say: "Whilst a lot of official Mortlach bottlings are from sherry wood, this particular one was, if my memory serves me correctly, from a refill bourbon hogshead. It has the typical Mortlach body and is well-worth a try. Naturally all our malts are without colouring or chill filtration, and bottled at cask strength." While it certainly sounds interesting, I don't think it's what I want for my first Mortlach. Because of that, I've tried to order some of the 16 F&F through the state. I'm guessing it won't work out but, if it does, I'll end up with a case.

3. ama

ama Senior member

I would not spend the money Galileo before trying it.

4. blocky

blocky Member

Does anyone generally sip cask strength undiluted? If not, how much does one generally dilute it by, and by what means?

5. Nil

Nil Senior member

I always dilute my cask strengths with bottled spring water. As to what amount: whatever you're comfortable with and find to your liking. Add small amounts and taste until you find what level of dilution you enjoy. Some of the ones I have require only a teaspoon, others I dilute significantly.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I know you should, but I rarely dilute them.

7. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

+1

J

8. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Today's lineups: sherried casks. Staring with (the last of my) Aberlour 16, moving on to Aberlour A'bunadh neat, A'bunadh with a bit of water, then Ardbeg Uigeadail.

Batch 45 on the A'bunadh. I like it more than my last sampling, of unknown batch. Opens up nicely with water and the texture didn't degrade significantly with a splash of water. Very nice. Will report back later with the Uigeadail, if I can still type.

edit: reporting back on the Uigeadail. Wow. Smooth for the high alcohol but not overwhelming peat and iodine like the Corryvrecken. I likes. My memory of Corrvrecken was coming inside after walking the dog in a hurricane, 35F weather, and it being totally fitting for that. The Uigeadail is not that fierce, but with the same overall character, with sherry undertones.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  9. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I'ma huge Ardbeg fan...have most of their limited bottlings as well as their standards...and I like the Galileo. Yes, its different, but to me it still retains a lot of the Ardbeg character. If you can get it, and don't mind spending $100 a bottle I say go for it. It is limited and once its gone, you will not see it again.

On a side note, I generally DON'T like the idea of trying a drink before buying the bottle. So often the character of a bottle at a bar is much different than one from a liquor store shelf. Even if its stored properly, its still exposed to a different kind of environment (especially if its at a place where there's food prepared, and or smoking). Every time I order something out, that I have at home, the taste is never the same, and often, particularly with bourbons, VERY different. Its not like trying on shoes to see if they fit...

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Most bars don't have decent whisky glasses either. Drinking from a tumbler just isn't the same.

I've also had several bottles that I just didn't like at all on the first taste, and grew into. Wrong mood, wrong environment, whatever. I had them sit on my shelf for months then came back and wondered wtf I was thinking not liking them originally.

Next on the agenda is Lagavulin 16, just gotta wait for it to go on sale. Price is fine now, but I make myself wait until they go on sale or I'd buy everything at once and my wife would murder me.

11. 1up

1up Senior member

Recently into scotch and loving it, the bottles I have tried so far are:

Macallan 10
    Macallan 12
    Laphroaig 10
    Glenmorangie 10 (original) --> My favorite

and one that I can't seem to remember the name, Glenmacchancie?

Any other recommendations for a beginner?

12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

good points both.

13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

If you like Glenmorangie the most of those (and in your price range):

Aberlour 12
    Balvenie Doublewood 12
    Bruichladdich - The Laddie 10
    Clynelish 14

Nothing too peaty and should give you a little sampling of different styles. Something to get a transition into peatier drams would be Highland Park 12, although that's nothing close to the peatiness of the Laphroiag 10 you already have.

14. NewYorkIslander

MMMMMMM peat. Its getting near Peat Season.

I was enjoying some Hudson Maple Cask Rye this afternoon. Its what Angel's Envy Rye should have been...stopped just short of being too sweet, which is what the AE is.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  15. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Thanks! Was about to buy the Envy; you saved me.

J

16. brp2

brp2 Senior member

So, anyone have any opinions on the 'Laddie cuvees and Octomore 5.1?

17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Ardbeg corryvrecken, so good, so good.

1 person likes this.
  18. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Good choice. Finishing off a glass of that myself.

19. NewYorkIslander

Some people love it, but if you're looking for a whiskey profile, you won't find it. The best way to describe it is liquid graham cracker. My wife and I couldn't even finish a glass. Though, if you're into mixed drinks, an Old Fashioned might be pretty cool with it.

20. brp2

brp2 Senior member

[​IMG]

A couple new members of the family.