1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. StephenB

StephenB Senior member

I think the Glenlivet 12 even for the price gets a lot more praise than it should. But I think I'm in the minority on that one.

2. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

If you can hunt down the G&M bottling of 21 year old Glenlivet it is outstanding and a great value, too.

3. Tom Miler

Tom Miler Senior member

Idd when you go to less popular distilleries like Tomintoul, Glen Scotia or even Bunnahabhain on Islay, the still are somewhat rusty. Luckily it has absolutely no effects whisky :D

4. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Rust on a copper still?

J

5. Tom Miler

Tom Miler Senior member

Not a very good whisky day for me :( I think I will start keeping my best bottles on the floor to prevent them from falling from anything ...

[​IMG]

6. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Nooooooo

J

1 person likes this.
  7. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Oh man does that suck.

Also, this is my night:

[​IMG]

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Tom, sorry for your loss :(.

MC, that's an excellent group of buys. FWIW I have been into scotch for the better part of 8 years, and with a real enthusiasm for the last 4 or so and it has taken me that long to develop a preference for more heavily peated scotches. My friends, with exception to a handful, still prefer sherried highlands like Macallan.
    So, if you aren't into them right away, you may pick them up in a year or two and find that you really enjoy them.

9. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I like the Oban 18 a lot, but at $125+, not sure if it is worth the premium. I bought two bottles a few years ago at a New Hampshire state liquor store for, get this, $60 EACH. Kinda wish I had bought a whole case.

10. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

When you have two friends and split the cases three ways, it makes you feel like less of an alcoholic.

J

11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Hmmm. At Binny's in Chicago, it's $80 for the 14 year and $100 for the 18 year. Definitely think it's worth that premium but perhaps you're dealing with a bigger cost differential.

12. Mariooo

Mariooo Senior member

haven't had a scotch in years...

but.. nice starting point, MC :fistbump:

as someone has mentioned, from the 4 in the picture, 3 are more or less similar tasting, especially if new to whisky...

(off-topic: seen you posting on basenotes, so here are perhaps some familiar tips) ;)

in my opinion, the best way is to sample each region - Lowland, Highland, Speyside, Islay, Islands, (Campbeltown)
    as you get a very quick sense of the differences and the general flavour

I'd also recommend buying miniatures and/or a tasting in a (whisky-)club... before buying lots of full size bottles..
    there can be (and are) great differences within the same distillery depending which age you choose..

also remember - an open bottle changes (mostly dependent on the filling level) and can't be kept '"forever" without quality loss...

and lastly, the single malt world doesn't stop at the boundaries of scotland :)

have fun :cheers:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Wow, the 14 year is $42 and the 18 year is $90 here.

14. StephenB

StephenB Senior member

That cannot be true... Oban 14 for $42?

If so I'm going to have to take a trip down to Maryland soon.

15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Montgomery County liquor stores. It's on sale this month, usually $51.

Also picked up Talisker 10 for the same price. Need to slow down on these ventures, it's almost Islay season and I need to restock.

1 person likes this.
  16. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

17. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Wow.

18. CSCoHammers7

CSCoHammers7 Senior member

Haven't stumbled across Macallan Cask Strength in quite some time since the discontinuation so I was happy to pick one up at $70 this weekend. Should've prob gone for more than one bottle considering...

19. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

35 degrees here in Brooklyn now (albeit at 545 AM)...looks like it will be the first Scotch of the season tonight...oh the possibilities!

That price on Lagavulin is GREAT.

MC, welcome to the club. Great choices...I personally don't like the Macallan 12, and prefer a Balvenie or Mortlach, but the Mac is an easier find at a better price. ER is also a decent pour, though lately I find myself scouring the bad neighborhoods for stuff laying around from the 80s.

20. blocky

blocky Member