1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

It got good reviews, but I thought it was pretty bad (not that I would let something trivial like that stop me from finishing the bottle). But I also dislike Ardbeg of which many are fans.

Love Lagavulin and Laphroig however, so it's not like I am an Islay sissy.

J

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. aget19

aget19 Member

Quite partial to speysiders at the moment.. Loving Mortlach 15yo and Glenspey 12 Flora and Fauna if it can be found.

There is also a nice distillery down in Tasmania called Nant which do an excellent Sherry-matured whisky.

Obviously the big Islay malts are always a hit - Lagavulin 12yo and Ardbeg Uigedail my favourite of the widely available ones

3. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Do you mean Lagavulin 16? As I recall, the 12 was more expensive than the 16 because they make much less of it.

J

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yep, the 16 is the standard Lagavulin.

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Love both of those! The 12 is also more expensive because it is cask strength.

6. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Ah ha!

Nic, nic, nic, Indians...

J

7. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

I've tried the Distiller's Edition and didn't think it measured up to the standard 10. Perhaps it was a psychological thing: the Tali 10 is a very distinctive scotch and the DE seemed to lack punch in comparison.

8. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

Thanks much, that would explain why the salesman subtly nudged me in the direction of the standard one.

J

9. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

There used to be a package of three 200 mL bottles available: one each of the 10-year, the DE, and the 57 North. I thought the 57 was far more interesting than the DE.

Apparently there's a NAS bottling out called Storm that sounds interesting. Has anyone tried it?

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I enjoyed the Talisker DE. Did not compare it back to back with the 10, but I will just go for the 18 next time around, as the 18 is in the same price range.

11. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

They also used to have one with the 10, DE, and 18. I still haven't tried the 57N yet. BTW, Warehouse Wines in NYC bought up all the remaining stock of the 175th Anniversary bottling and now have it for $49, cheaper than the 10.

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

If you like this stuff, buy it. Bruichladdich recently was sold and I believe all the experimental stuff will be going by th ewayside, so whats out now, may be the last of it.

Lag and Lap are much more finely crafted in my mind...the Ardbeg and BL seem "rougher" by comparison. Anyone here lucky enough to try a pour of the Port Ellens? I've never tasted, but would like to try at some point...if I can find an affordable bottle.

13. J011yroger

J011yroger Senior member

I almost bought myself a bottle of the 1982 for my 30th birthday, but I cheaped out.

Where on the island are you? Any good scotch bar recommendations?

J

14. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Do you mean the sale last year to Remy? Or have they been sold again?

Haven't tried Port Ellen, but if you ever make it down to DC and want to try before you buy, Jack Rose has a number of bottlings.

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Picked up a bottle of Bunnahabhain 18 tonight.

1 person likes this.
  16. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

^ Nice - it's terrific whisky. This and a couple of bottles of Macallan Cask Strength are next on my list.

17. brp2

brp2 Senior member

18. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I'm in Brooklyn, Bay Ridge...nothing great that I know of on the Island or B&Q, Char #4 is overrated.

Picked up a Auchentochan Valinch yesterday that I anxious to try.

Had the Medicinal Whiskey last night. It was interesting...Huge nose, very powerful, but disappointingly light on the palate. Sour/candy cigarette sweet with a bit of a eucalyptus menthol on the finish. Tasted old. But I'm glad I could say I've tried an interesting piece of history.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Tom Miler

Tom Miler Senior member

A picture I took the other day in one of the distilleries in Speyside :D These barrels are stored vertically which means the don't contain malt whisky but grain whisky. This is because the poplar stoppers leak when you store barrels vertically. For malt whisky it's a loss but for grain whisky nobody cares :p

[​IMG]

3 people like this.