1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Thanks ama, the second one ships to joisey.

2. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Astor definitely has the best price on it I have seen in the city. My local place wants $90 for it.

3. ama

ama Senior member

Astor used to be $50.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Whisky used to be much cheaper. In even recent history.

5. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

Seriously. My best score was on Thanksgiving Day in 2004, when I went to pick up a bottle of wine on the way to my parents' house. I saw a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr lying on its side at the back of the shelf, and brought it to the front so that the clerk could reshelve it. I knew it usually retailed for about $80 or $90, and I had not planned to spend that kind of money that day, but there was no price tag and on a whim I asked how much it cost. The clerk was a young woman in her early twenties, and clearly didn't want to be at work that day. She turned the bottle over a couple times looking for price tag and, finding none, said "uh ... $19.99." Sold! It only comes out on special occasions and I still have a few fingers left.

6. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

8. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

It's great. Longrow is a heavily peated expression of Springbank. I'm not a usually fan of strong peat, but the finishing in Burgundy casks balances it with a strong wine character. Really good stuff. They make a Gaja finish too that is also excellent but harder to find.

9. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I'm a big fan of the Longrow CV--used to be a deal-and-a-half but it's suffering the same price creep as other Scotch whiskies these days...still a good buy though.

...And I have a couple bottles of the Longrow 18 squirreled away that I picked up in London a few years back.

BTW, regarding the price of Laga 16...used to be seen regularly at Astor and Warehouse in NYC for under $50. But that was back when Oban was $35.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Lagavulin 16 is 40-50 € in Germany, FWIW.

I've been enjoying some Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban lately. Good for when it gets colder outside.

11. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Haven't tried the Longrow CV - is it as intensely peaty as I assume?

I have had a great Springbank CV. In fact, it's the only Springbank I've had so far that I really enjoy.

Tonight, tried a couple of Mortlachs at Jack Rose. I preferred the younger (and cheaper) one, but that my palate may have been swayed in part by its higher abv. Will have to go back and try the 18 yr old on its own.

[​IMG]

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Two of these arrived today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As well as a sample of an 18 year old from the same year.

On other news I found, IN THE WILD at a store in Aberdeen, NJ, an AH Hirsch 16 year old Gold Foil. Not too shabby.

1 person likes this.
  13. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Amazing finds, NYR. Recently watched the first part of Ken Burns' documentary on Prohibition - if you haven't seen it, you might enjoy along with these.

1 person likes this.
  14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

The Hirsch story is killing me right now, but couldn't have happened to a better guy.

Glad to see someone else drinking Mortlach, love that whisky.

~ H

1 person likes this.
  15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Loved it..Anything he or his brother do is just superb!

Thanks H...I nearly wet myself when i saw it on a shelf.

16. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Was actually inspired by you, H! I had a Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottling a while ago ('Sweet Chili Tingle') that was stupendous, and along with your posts, was inspired to learn more about the distillery.

They have a few more expressions I'm looking forward to trying. Very hard to find in the US market, so hoping I don't end up enamored of something I can't get my hands on.

17. sridhar3

sridhar3 Senior member

18. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I can't believe how late I am to this party.

Having some Johnny Platinum right now. I saw it for a relatively inexpensive price at duty free and decided to give it a whirl. It is not bad at all.

19. deckham

deckham New Member

Lagavulin 16 yr. and Laphroaig Quarter Cask are two of my favorites. I love peaty and take my scotch neat with just the slightest splash of water to open it up.