1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

WFE 8 tonight, then EC18. Everything Willet outs out in their Family Estate line is impressive. I highly recommend picking any up if you can. I've had the 10 year, 9 year, 8 year 20 year and I have some 21 year just waiting.

2. ama

ama Senior member

I only went to two of them. Not to my taste.

3. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Well that's disappointing. Can you elaborate at all as to why? I would have thought the tastings would have been quite interesting.

4. NewYorkIslander

Would anybody in here be up for a bottle trade? I have an extra Ardbeg Day that I can move...no longer available retail. Looking for rare bourbons or an Ardbeg Rollercoaster or Renaissance.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Didn't get a chance to stop into La Maison du Whisky, but I did get a chance to try out some cognacs from a really spectacular bar. Frapin XO and Guy Lheraud were fantastic, interestingly enough cognac is not very popular in paris, but whisky is incredibly popular.

Did not buy this one, but thought I'd post it for the wow factor;

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. NewYorkIslander

First experience with a dusty...Old Fitz from before I was born.
    [​IMG]

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Incidentally, what is the cause of the current huge increase in bourbon prices? Hirsch I understand, but what is spurring ridiulous money in Pappy and the Antique collection stuff? I was looking for some Sazerac 18 to replace the one I kicked, and was told that Sandy knocked out the NE wharehouses, but that cant have so badly affected supply, or did it?

~ H

8. NewYorkIslander

The warehouse did get bonked by the storm, but its a beautiful excuse for BT to raise prices. They just cashing in on what the secondary market has created. What sealed that opinion for me was when Julian Van Winkle (or whichever VW owns the pappy brand now) was quoted as saying they can't afford to make too much, because they don't want to get caught with all that bourbon on their hands if pot is ever legalized. They've gotten press, LOADS of press, and their stuff is good, so the have the perfect storm for the huge increase (as do all the other bourbon and Scotch producers). Think of it as the Nike for drinkers.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Wtf. On some scotch website that I can't legally order from and I see a bottle of my favorite whiskey, the Old Rare Malts Mortlach 23, for sale for like $1500. And, and, and, Diageo expanded their Distiller's Edition stuff to include my second favorite distillery, Royal Lochnagar, and while that is affordable, I still can't order it. Damn and blast.

Wtf? My bs meter is off the charts. This shit pisses me off so much, all this manufactures limited edition nonsense. Bah.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  10. NewYorkIslander

Yea, its frustrating. The only solace I take from it is that it appears gin is the new "whiskey" and hopefully all of these collectors will be passing on the brown stuff sooner rather than later, and the storm can calm.

Having said that...I have a very nice EW23 available...:stirpot:

Does anyone here have access to any Ardbeg Rollercoaster or Renaissance they are looking to pass on? I'd be very interested.

11. NewYorkIslander

Anyone here with experience with old stuff...I just bought a couple of bottles of Bourbon from the 1930s. Supposedly these were distilled illegally during prohibition, and bottled after at one of Capone's distilleries...I do plan on opening and drinking, but wondering if its safe to. Would love to hear thoughts....

12. ama

ama Senior member

Safe, but might taste like soap. Opening will also destroy any value they might have.

13. NewYorkIslander

Aware of the value going down, but I definitely want to try and taste history at some point. I've gotten a few dusties (1970s Old Fitz, some early 90's Old Fitz BiB, 1980 Old Taylor 86, *0's OGD, 80s IW harper) and while I find these older ones more supple and sweet, less oaky than the modern stuff, I imagine that 30's booze had a completely different taste. I also wonder how time has changed it in the bottle. Is the soap a result of the booze aging, or is that what it tasted like back then? What I really want to find is a bottle of medicinal whiskey produced legally during Pro.

14. SkinnyGoomba

One of my friends has a bottle of Talisker from the 40's that we opened. Taste about the same as the current blend IMO.

15. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Supply is really tight. Market has seen traction in lesser known bourbons. The increased interest in craft cocktails has really helped. People are also seeking more niche esoteric spirits. You can buy a product at the same price point that no one has had which increases its luxury/social value.

16. SkinnyGoomba

Seems I'm loving islay and isle of skye lately as I'm certainly enjoying the Lagavulin 16yr I bought recently. I enjoy my Talisker DE 12yr enough that I think I will fallow it up with an 18yr soon, and I have my eye on a Highland Park 21yr soon as well.

17. Longmorn

Longmorn Senior member

Those are all winners, SG.

Tonight, a dram for a quiet night in.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. SkinnyGoomba

Whoa! Very nice.

1 person likes this.
  19. wanbushui

wanbushui New Member

right,Right now the Laphroig, McCallan, and Lagavulin are in my regular rotation.thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  20. wanbushui

wanbushui New Member

right,Right now the Laphroig, McCallan, and Lagavulin are in my regular rotation.thanks