Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Thanks for the info, will def try Caol ila out.

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I can't believe I just spent $90+ on it. Look at me actually measuring my drams now as if this was a rare spirit. :eek:

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Glenmorangie is a great starter single malt. Kinda honey, citrus tones, very easy drinking. It was my gateway :) Lagavulin 16 is my go to bottle at this point--but yeah, I'd definitely agree that starting with an Islay might be a bit rough.

5. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

No problem. It's also widely available and not too pricey, so that helps.

7. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Is it just me or has Lagavulin gone up in price over the past several months...the first bottle i bought earlier this year was just above $70. Now they're @ $85+.

8. poena

poena Senior member

Finished my first bottle of scotch : Lagavulin 16.

First time I had it. not a fan. But as I drank more I came to really enjoy it.

Friend got me a bottle of JW Blue. and I recently also got a bottle of Jura.

Tried Talisker 10 I believe a month ago at a bar and really enjoyed it. Yamazaki 12 also but I can't remember.

Any other recommendations?

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

http://www.styleforum.net/newsearch...type=all&containingthread[0]=26122&advanced=1
    http://www.styleforum.net/newsearch...type=all&containingthread[0]=26122&advanced=1

@Hampton: Fair point about the blends. But from what I recall, DWFII has an extreme aversion to blends in general. We had that discussion already.
    I personally started out with a bottle of Ardbeg. It disgusted me in the beginning (I was new to the liquor world in general). In the meantime, I've added a couple different bottles. Laphroaig 10/Quarter Cask/Triple Wood, Cragganmore 12, JW Black, Ardbeg 10, (Famous Grouse -- don't try it, boring as hell). As time passed, I began to enjoy them more and more. So what I'm trying to say is that you may not like it as much as you think you will the first time you try it. It's quite an acquired taste. Especially since you're relatively new to the liquor world. So even if you're not "wowed" by any you've tried, I'd suggest that you go for the one you like the most (in a reasonable price range) and as time passes, you may start to enjoy it more.
    FWIW, I can soon report on Talisker 10, Macallan 12 and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, Islays are definitely an acquired taste. I love them now, but when I first started I almost gagged.

Agreed that Lagavulin has gotten pricey. My last bottle cost me $90 after tax. Insane.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

All Cognac this week, Perrier Ferrand and Jean Fillioux, both xo and vsop ages. Such a good way to relax.

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

An overstatement, for sure. I do have fairly straight-forward and unequivocal opinions about a number of things--shoes, whisky, monogamy...etc.. I'm not afraid of sharp, strong, or unique.

And, as with shoes, I just don't see the point (or value) of taking something that can stand on its own...which perhaps even represents an evolutionary pinnacle of refinement and grace...and has old and venerable traditions associated with it, and diluting/changing it to make something more palatable to the masses. Bleh!

YMMV

--

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Blends suck, why bother. My best friend generally prefers JW, but after trying Aberlour and Glenmorangie Nectar D'or I think he has a harder time asking for JW.

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

I have no problem drinking jw black whenever I go out.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Blends are OK within their context. I rarely drink them, but have had some good cocktails made with blends. Would cringe to see a cocktail made with a single malt. And blends like JW black are ubiquitous, even in places which might not have single malts. So they are also good for a backup.