• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any of you cut your hair yourself?

Rubber

Reaction score
I Cut my hair myself and usually it's real nice, i have trouble lining the back of my neck because i just shave it all over and over again with the same setting, usually number 3 or 4.

Any tips on cutting the back myself?

seoulfully

Reaction score
just use a mirror (or cd) in back and go slow. or you could also drop to a #2 guard and then raise your clippers (with the lever on the clippers) to make it like a 2.5 and then kind of "fade" the neck down.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
LOL... I do the same thing. At first, I would use two mirrors- the bathroom mirror and a hand-held mirror to see the back of my noggin. I've been cutting my hair so long now that I only use the mirrors for my neckline.

As seoulfully said, you can use different # guards and angle them for a taper. I use a #4 held with only the tips of the guard against my scalp for longer sides that lay down. I use the same guard only angled less for my sideburns and near my neckline. The guard will go from flush against my scalp and then to tips only in one smooth upward stroke.

Around the ears, I angle the guard sideways to help taper. Lately I've been trying to use shears completely, but it is scary. Good luck and lots of practice.

Every once in a while I like to splurge on a proper trim just to get everything back in alignment.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I cut my own hair with scissors in the shower. Clippers don't work very well on my hair and I don't want it quite that short anyway.

Are you talking about the back of your actual neck? I shave that with a safety razor. Probably the easiest part, just hold it by the razor head and shave straight down. I don't even use shaving cream or soap or anything.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the razor for the neck is the best way to get clean back there. Men's hair looks better when slightly off so don't be too obsessive.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MicroTouch Electric Hair Groomer shaves the neck and trims the eyebrows.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I only trim sideburns and around the ears, I can go 3 months between haircuts (I like my hair to evolve).

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying not to post but I can't hold it in any longer!
crazy.gif

If one is cutting one's own hair, expect to have many different lengths and uneven sections of hair on one's head. If the messy look is what your going for, then it doesn't matter, but if not, at least go to a barber / stylist once in a while to get the hair / edges somewhat even.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm balding and have an OK looking head so I just shave the whole thing once a week. I use a pair of clippers with no attachments. I just feel around the back to make sure I've gotten everything. Seems to work.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this yesterday in another thread.

A couple of weeks ago I started cutting my own hair as I have come to refuse to pay $25 for something that takes 10 minutes. No offence, but I don't think they deserve $150 an hour at the place I go to. It has actually turned out quite well. I haven't screwed up yet, and in fact have done a darn good job if I may say so myself, even got a few compliments, but it takes a little getting used to using scissors on the back of your head when you can't see what you are doing (I just go by feel).

Rubber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I was trying not to post but I can't hold it in any longer!
crazy.gif

If one is cutting one's own hair, expect to have many different lengths and uneven sections of hair on one's head. If the messy look is what your going for, then it doesn't matter, but if not, at least go to a barber / stylist once in a while to get the hair / edges somewhat even.

I party agree, but when you run a clipper on setting 3 over and over on your hair it doesn't really matter that it's all in the same length because it's so short.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Cut it last night, myself, for the second time. Needed to tone down the back and sides and didn't want to pay the going rates for something so easy. Mano a hair-o, just me and the scissors and the bathroom mirror. Worked well enough that no one called me out
smile.gif

Tom

chrysalid

Reaction score
i run a number 1 all over about once a week, been doing it for years but i still sometimes miss the whispy bits on my neck. just gotta go in all directions on the crown, neck, and any cowlicks you might have. did have a clipped 0 for a bit, but i looked, and was treated like, a racist - not nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads