Any of the NY members going to this David Chu event tonight?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, Oct 19, 2006.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure I even understand where that event is taking place... [​IMG] Does "on Six in New York" mean on the 6th floor of the NY Saks 5th Ave store?

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Not going to that event (wasn't even notified [​IMG] ) but I am planning on going to David Chu's store when it opens up and possibly try out their MTM program. I have a few shirts and a sportjacket from him and I like the cut, construction etc. He makes what I think is the best Oxford cloth button down shirt on the market today (jeez, I sound like a trad [​IMG] )

3. gdl203

He makes what I think is the best Oxford cloth button down shirt on the market today (jeez, I sound like a trad [​IMG] )

Really? I got one and not only am I not impressed at all with the fabric but I also find the fit too baggy [​IMG]

I like his jackets and suits in pictures but know nothing about their construction - aren't they fused?

4. edmorel

Really? I got one and not only am I not impressed at all with the fabric but I also find the fit too baggy [​IMG]

I like his jackets and suits in pictures but know nothing about their construction - aren't they fused?

Wow, we must be talking about different shirts. Is yours made in Italy? The one I have is a great lustrous blue, slim fitting (comparable to my barba shirts), wonderful collar. The jacket I have is a linen one and the lapels are fused but I think the chest is not. His MTM stuff will be full canvas as I understand it, not sure about the OTR suits.

5. gdl203

Wow, we must be talking about different shirts. Is yours made in Italy? The one I have is a great lustrous blue, slim fitting (comparable to my barba shirts), wonderful collar. The jacket I have is a linen one and the lapels are fused but I think the chest is not. His MTM stuff will be full canvas as I understand it, not sure about the OTR suits.

My David Chu shirt is made in Turkey, has a great collar (I agree), nice MOP buttons, but the fabric is nothing to write home about and it fits like a tent.

PS: a shirt that's sold for $185 retail price by the way [​IMG]
    http://www.vivre.com/browse/product....9&s=2077&ss=-1

6. edmorel

My David Chu shirt is made in Turkey, has a great collar (I agree), nice MOP buttons, but the fabric is nothing to write home about and it fits like a tent.

PS: a shirt that's sold for $185 retail price by the way [​IMG]

His Turkey stuff is crap, that's the stuff that made an STP appearance. His Made in Italy stuff is very nice. Again, the shirts I have from him are great although there is one of the shirts where I think they got their Made In Italy and Made In Turkey tags mixed-up [​IMG]. His italian shirts were retailing for $185 when I got them on sale. This season, those same shirts are up to $225-250[​IMG]. I'll be waiting for the sale.

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Didn't Chu design for Nautica?

8. gdl203

His Turkey stuff is crap, that's the stuff that made an STP appearance. His Made in Italy stuff is very nice. Again, the shirts I have from him are great although there is one of the shirts where I think they got their Made In Italy and Made In Turkey tags mixed-up [​IMG]. His italian shirts were retailing for $185 when I got them on sale. This season, those same shirts are up to $225-250[​IMG]. I'll be waiting for the sale.

Well I don't think very highly of someone who just barely started a new line and already has different levels of quality and secret sub-lines... [​IMG]

9. gdl203

Didn't Chu design for Nautica?

I thnk he founded it, designed for it and sold the brand. Took the proceeds and founded his new line

10. edmorel

Well I don't think very highly of someone who just barely started a new line and already has different levels of quality and secret sub-lines... [​IMG]

There is also a secret handshake..............

I think Saks just wanted him to throw stuff on the wall and see what sticks. From what I've seen so far, this season's collection is more focused, patterns are classic in both the shirts and suits (although one SB model has peak lapels that might reach the wearer's ear) and the quality is on par with RLPL (except the suits), and no Made in Turkey stuff to be found. Prices seem to have increased accordingly. The plus is that since he is realtively unknown, there is usually a lot of his nice stuff left when the Saks second and final cut sales roll around.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think his stuff looks nice. In my opnion he's hitting a good spot on the curve. Right around Polo Blue label quality in style, materials and construction, but cheaper, and less ubiquitous, though he has been getting a lot of good press. From what I've seen I think the goods also a little better than Gianluca Napoli at the same price.

12. gdl203

I think his stuff looks nice. In my opnion he's hitting a good spot on the curve. Right around Polo Blue label quality in style, materials and construction, but cheaper, and less ubiquitous, though he has been getting a lot of good press.

Less ubiquitous: yes, cheaper: Ich don't think so. $225-250 for his shirts? Aren't Polo BL shirts selling for nearly half that price?

From what I've seen I think the goods also a little better than Gianluca Napoli at the same price.

In pictures or real life?

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

The thing is, I think David Chu had some "dress" shirts which were found in a bag, and these were the Made in Turkey things that Ed and gdl were talking about. He also had some other ones with a much thicker, finer cloth that were on hangers or folded on a display table that were made in Italy. These were very nice, indeed.

I would rate the quality of the David Chu made in italy stuff to be similar in quality to my Barba shirts, and just a few notches below Borrelli and Attolini, probably comparable in quality to RLPL/Lorenzini.

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I have a 7 fold tie of his that's ok. That's it.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I was thinking sportcoats, primarily. Blue label sportcoats start at $1000 but go much higher, correct? Shirts, yes, you're right, but I'd wager than the Chu Italy shirts are significantly nicer than Polo.

Gianluca Napoli - yes, in real life. I don't own either, so my experience is limited. They are pretty close. One significant advantage of Gianluca Napoli is a broader line.