• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any objection to Nordstrom or Ballin brand dress pants?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am starting to need some new flat-front dress trousers for work. I was just looking on Nordstrom's website while looking for a pair of jeans. I saw their house brand and also Ballin pants that seem like they'd fit the bill. Anyone here have experience, good or bad, with either of these? I need flat front, and fit doesn't matter that much, because I will almost certainly need my tailor to take in the leg no matter whose pants I buy.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ballin makes good basic trousers. You can ususally find them for about $100 at NM Last Call (the NM "house brand" trousers) and at Saks' Off Fifth.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ballin is also often on STP at great discounts. I think they are a nice pair of basic trousers.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
Ballin makes good basic trousers. You can ususally find them for about $100 at NM Last Call (the NM "house brand" trousers) and at Saks' Off Fifth.

I own a pair of tan Ballin trousers that I bought at SOF and agree completely with everything written by philosophe. The fabric is nothing special, but I like them because they're flat front and a trim fit.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should keep an eye on STP. It's up and down but they've had alot in the past.

pkincy

Reaction score
I bought 5-6 pair several years ago to replace my long worn Bricken (the old Bricken) gabs. They are OK pants. I tend to like better fabric, but they are serviceable and wear well.

I than took a job where I wore sports jackets daily and wore the heck out of them. Very serviceable for the price (and I paid full ticket of $150.) After a year and a half of wear my standard colors were getting a little tired but overall the provide good value.

Perry

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nordstrom's house brand stuff has always been respectable in my experience. Haven't worn the Ballin stuff or really looked at it but a cursory glance says it is reasonably good for the price as well.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Everyone's favorite ExecStyles is selling Ballin trousers for $70 or so over on AAAC. He's not calling them Zegna
tongue.gif

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pair from Nordstrom Rack: I paid $67 for one and $18.87 for the other, so wait for the sales.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will be most likely starting a job in a business casual environment, which will mean dress shirts (which I have a lot of) and dress pants (which I don't) every day. I don't want an especially fashion forward look, I just need something that is a well-fitted cut and is relatively well made. My old Banana Republic dress pants just aren't cutting it, and I believe that dress pants worn every day for work would be better purchased from a company known for their dress clothes, not a company known for their chinos and soft t-shirts who has made a recent foray into suiting looks.

Maggio

Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with Nordstrom clothing. Good quality at a decent price. Their pants are good. Have been dissapointed with some of their store brand accessories, but the clothing is good. With two kids, I like the Smart Clothes for weekends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads