• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Ninjas on Styleforum?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a distributor in italy once who was seriously into ninjitsu - it was pretty funny, he was a pretty rich kid, his father had started the business and he was your stereotypical italian playboy - several large motorcycles, jaguar, dressed very very nicly, was friends with some of the extended family from fiat, and one day he told me about how he was a 4rth dan ninja - I had trouble keeping a straight face (I don't care how silly the style may be, I still did'n't want to get ****** kicked)

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sleep with a wakizashi under my pillow.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
On a serious note: I'm pretty sure "ninja" has no relation to "ninjutsu." IIRC the ninja many people think of are entirely fictional, and real ninjas were basically assassin farmers killing their landowners.
I thought they were basically freelancer mercenaries who were hired out to the highest bidder and had some tricks up their sleeve like attacking castles at night and using easily disguised weapons like staffs and scythes...

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've never studied either one so I don't know how related they actually are, but just for reference they do share characters in Japanese. 忍者 (ninja- or literally "stealth person") and 忍術 (ninjutsu- or literally "stealth style/technique/art"

One of my good friends is named Shinobu、忍, which is another reading for the "nin." I think it's a great name...

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
I have webbed feet so I could never wear the ninja shoes.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
ninjitsu is mocked even by the japanese.

One should pause to reflect on how screwed up something must be in order to receive mockery in the country that brought us ganguro girls, gothloli fashion, tentacle **** hentai manga, and bukkake videos.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I've never studied either one so I don't know how related they actually are, but just for reference they do share characters in Japanese. 忍者 (ninja- or literally "stealth person") and 忍術 (ninjutsu- or literally "stealth style/technique/art"

There is a lot of Japanese folklore concerning ninja. Whether any of the folklore concerning black-clad shuriken-throwing ultimate-power-wielding superdudes has any factual basis is a matter of debate. I believe there is some historical evidence that the spy/assassin roles in feudal Japan were filled by samurai, not by secret clans of ninja. I don't recall reading about peasant farmers ever successfully offing a landowner, which would be a pretty surprising event.

Whether the martial arts now billed as "ninjutsu" have any connection to the historical ninja, or are simply a marketing ploy used to dress up and sell certain martial arts systems, is also a matter of debate. IIRC, there are "ninjutsu" elements in the curricula of some of the remaining documented styles of traditional samurai martial arts. Conversely, some aspects of the modern ninjutsu schools cannot be documented historically (and in some cases don't even make sense).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads