• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any love for this SC fabric?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
If you're picking cloth to make something of, I think you can do better.
You may be right. Happen to know where I could find something kind of like ... oh, I dunno ... like this?

DSC_8370.JPG

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It does look a little washed out, but then, so does the wood. So it might be the pic.
Good eye, Doc. The picture of the swatch is just a tad washed out. In real life, the brown ground is a little darker, and the blue lines are a bit less bold.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
That said, it vexes my colorblindness -- can't really see the orange and red, so take my comments for what they're worth.
I have doubts about your color-blindness. You did, after all, pick out this gem:

cream.jpg

Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I'd like it much more without the orange/red lines in it.
Really? I love the orange/red lines. To each his own.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I hate dealing with swatches, and internet pics are just as bad when it comes to fabric. Does your tailor have any bolts in stock?
Good question, Rob. I've only met with this guy a couple of times so far, and from what he's told me I don't think he keeps much fabric in the shop. (He comes to my house, so I've never even seen the shop.) It appears that he gets swatches from suppliers, he shows the swatches to clients and then orders just the amount of fabric he needs for the pieces that his clients commission. Is that a bad sign?

Originally Posted by ljrcustom
I like it, however for your first sport coat with any sort of pattern I would suggest with going with something a little more simple.
Originally Posted by niidawg3
i'd go for something with some more beige or light brown in it to allow it to be worn all seasons. this looks like a pretty "fall-ish" fabric. The blue may allow you to get away with it in the summer, but the blue with some more beige/light brown will really set it off.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
This. Start slow, then work up to something more complex.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jasonmarshalljazz
i have a length of that for a SC. linen/ silk/ wool blend and its beautiful IRL. while its quite versatile id agree that its probably not the best choice for your first commission. its also much more saturated IRL.
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
That said, it probably wouldnt be my choice for a first run at a bespoke SC.
I'm reluctant to argue against such a strong consensus, but I'm not sure this particular concern applies in my case. While this will be my first commission, I still have a closet full of good RTW sport coats that fit well. And most of them are staples, such as a navy blazer, a gray tweed, a green/gold herringbone, etc. My plan is to gradually commission new pieces to replace the SCs that don't fit well or that were mistakes in the first place, and my current Least-Favorite-Jacket is a heather-brown windowpane. I want to replace it with something richer in color and just a touch bolder in pattern - not unlike the ones gregaz and DocHolliday are wearing above.

Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Secondly, for younger guys rocking the bolder "old man" patterns and fabrics, I think the fit and cut is critically important to being able to pull them off with confidence.
Good thing I'm not a younger guy.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads