• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any love for colored silk knot cufflinks?

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Love em. I never buy a shirt dependent upon the sleeves being button or french cuff. I find knots to be liberating. I always have a knot that fits the situation/coordination. BB sells them loose.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're alright. I like mother of pearl and czech glass.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
When I first came out of uni 7 years ago now cufflinks were quite rare, however since then they have become so common. Now days almost the entire male professional population wears them. Silk knots are one way for me to differentiate myself. Then again, I have been known to also do up my cuffs to make barrel cuffs rather then have the cuffs kiss.
I see plenty of people wearing silk knots. Wearing "real" double-sided cuff links would better differentiate yourself.
Originally Posted by acecow
I'd say they are worth the money if you wear french cuffs regularly. I rarely do, so whenever the occasion calls for it, I usually reach for the higher end cuff links.
I used to wear silk knots when I had no money or time to buy cuff links. But now that I have proper cuff links -- and they're really quite affordable -- I find I'd much rather wear them than silk knots.

AE7

Reaction score
Ones I bought in Tokyo were smaller than those purchased in London. Former come more handy. BTW, you can actually dry clean or launder your shirt with these cufflinks inside, you wont damage them.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dport86
Silk knots are classic, trad, elegant. Cufflinks can be great too but these are great for travel, and when you want a little understatement.
This.

Originally Posted by bleachboy
I do not presently own any French cuff shirts, however!
Remedy that, sir!

Originally Posted by SuitMyself
You couldn't pay me enough money to wear silk knots. They are hideous and very cheap looking.
Yes. Silk knots look as cheap as those other hideous silk garments, neckties and pocket squares.
fight[1].gif

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mac
To me it looks like you've bought a French cuffed shirt but not bothered to wear actual cufflinks, instead you've used the knots that come with it. Cheap and nasty.

This

Merlino

Reaction score
Only wear these since I feel I'm too young for real cufflinks. I reserve those for black or white tie events. Have about 30 pairs in different colours, got most of them through ebay. Last batch I ordered was this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Pairs-silk-kn...ht_2791wt_1140

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
I love them, they're just too damn difficult to put on and in certain situations take off
blush.gif

The women's ones are slightly smaller in size and are easier to put in if you are struggling with current silk knots. (cue pile on
plain.gif
)

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
This.

Remedy that, sir!

Yes. Silk knots look as cheap as those other hideous silk garments, neckties and pocket squares.
fight[1].gif

+1

I like them for a more casual look.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You've got to love SF eh? The most innocent of questions provokes responses from polar opposite opinions. Who says it's all groupthink on here?
biggrin.gif

ktrp

Reaction score
I find a lot of touchiness about french cuff shirts here. I think there may be regional differences. As an example, in a long and only slightly tongue in cheek discussion of conservative business dress, it was suggested you must wear barrel cuffs, but could maybe wear a plain pocket square, but for 'ultimate' you must remove the pocket square.

I've started wearing the odd PS, and they are making a come back here, but _my_ impression is that a pocket square is considered a more 'dandyish' look then french cuffs where I am. Honestly, I would have classed french cuffs along with peak lapels as something that while less common is not going to raise any eyebrows.

Given that, on to the subject of silk cuffs. Since I don't think french cuffs are for ultra formal, I'm fine with them. No love, but some like. I used to wear french cuff more then I do now. I liked the ability to use the silk cuffs to add or play with a colour combination. Not my favourite cuff links but a cheap way to get a certain colour that looks fine.

They are less out there then, oh, i don't know ... wildly coloured shoelaces.

Merlino

Reaction score
^ +1. Around here, there is just about zero diff in formality between barrel and French cuffs.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Yes, I have about a dozen, all from BB---I really don't think the price is bad at all. The more pastel ones I tend to wear in summer. In fact, I tend to wear them more in summer, period. I think they are correct with any French cuff shirt and jacket. What's wrong with a burgundy/navy combo with a blue blazer or blue or gray suit, for example? I just try not to go "matchy-matchy" with the tie, so unlinke normal metal cufflinks, the color is an issue.

changy

Reaction score
I have a set of 8 from nordstrom rack. One side of it is a monkey paw, the other a log. I wear them when I'm not wearing a jacket (which itself might be a point of contention here on sf) and generally in informal settings.

They are also great for filling up the empty slots in my cuff link case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics