• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

    The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

    If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any love for colored silk knot cufflinks?

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
485
Saw these on the counter at BB but they were asking silly money. Got on eBay and there's a fella in China who sells five pairs in assorted colours for about $10 including postage (no troll!)

I think this might be an OK look for a shirt with a blazer or SC, even without a tie, if the shirt is less formal like gingham or Bengal, but I don't recall seeing any/many on WAYWN. Do any igents go for this or is it too much of a 'no man's land' look between business and casual?
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
485
Originally Posted by Ivystyle
link to the china fella!

Seller was 'springing 2010' - if you plug in 'colored silk knot cufflinks' you'll see several posted, either a sackfull for like $25 or something and I think it was more like $6 for five. Arrived in only a few days too - yesterday I got a chritmas card posted to me in Texas from England on December 8th. Go figure!
 

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
28
I have a few. Charvet makes very nice ones. I do not presently own any French cuff shirts, however!
 

dport86

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2009
Messages
129
Reaction score
1
Silk knots are classic, trad, elegant. Cufflinks can be great too but these are great for travel, and when you want a little understatement. Cheap and nasty are most of the gold or chrome plated, plastic stone cheap cufflinks I see most guys wearing with their French cuffs. I have vintage gold and sterling links but I still wear the knots sometimes--got married in a pair last year. Just be careful with ebay sellers from China--might be made in the same factory as BB, or might be much worse quality. "Silk" from China rarely came from the butt-end of a silkworm. Caveat Emptor. At least cuff link failure isn't fatal (unlike brake pad failure).
 

TintinATL

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
425
Reaction score
6
Not sure I qualify as an igent, but I wear these all the time. Usually in a contrast color - something that goes with my tie or some other item of my clothes - to avoid the knots looking like they are what came with the shirt.

I think they make a nice, slightly more relaxed alternative to cuff links.
 

acecow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
4,138
Reaction score
702
I have the Chinese ones. They are kinda small, but not bad at all. I'd say they are worth the money if you wear french cuffs regularly. I rarely do, so whenever the occasion calls for it, I usually reach for the higher end cuff links.
 

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
1,136
Reaction score
4
They are fine, but I usually reserve them for less formal/ unstructured suits with soft shoulders, often with no tie
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
485
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I have a few. Charvet makes very nice ones. I do not presently own any French cuff shirts, however!

What? I'm shocked to learn this BB. You've got to get some FC shirts matey to add that extra bit spice to your more formal fits.
 

Ivystyle

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
161
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by dport86
Silk knots are classic, trad, elegant. Cufflinks can be great too but these are great for travel, and when you want a little understatement. Cheap and nasty are most of the gold or chrome plated, plastic stone cheap cufflinks I see most guys wearing with their French cuffs. I have vintage gold and sterling links but I still wear the knots sometimes--got married in a pair last year. Just be careful with ebay sellers from China--might be made in the same factory as BB, or might be much worse quality. "Silk" from China rarely came from the butt-end of a silkworm. Caveat Emptor. At least cuff link failure isn't fatal (unlike brake pad failure).
+1 break pad failure..
.. another recall.. Hit the motherload ..30pairs for $10
 

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
3,140
Reaction score
194
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Seller was 'springing 2010' - if you plug in 'colored silk knot cufflinks' you'll see several posted, either a sackfull for like $25 or something and I think it was more like $6 for five. Arrived in only a few days too - yesterday I got a chritmas card posted to me in Texas from England on December 8th. Go figure!

Can't find it.
 

CHECKstar

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
667
Reaction score
23
I now almost exclusively wear silk knots now. When I first came out of uni 7 years ago now cufflinks were quite rare, however since then they have become so common. Now days almost the entire male professional population wears them. Silk knots are one way for me to differentiate myself. Then again, I have been known to also do up my cuffs to make barrel cuffs rather then have the cuffs kiss.
 

SuitMyself

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
984
Reaction score
13
You couldn't pay me enough money to wear silk knots. They are hideous and very cheap looking.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

  • Classic Leather Low-Top

  • Canvas Plimsoll

  • Leather Slip-On

  • Canvas Slip-On

  • Athletic Kicks

  • Leather High-Top


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
436,002
Messages
9,370,107
Members
196,628
Latest member
hotsvanu
Top