• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any love for Allen Edmonds Park Ave Sneakers here?

ducatiti

Reaction score
Just because something is commonly seen or popular doesn’t make it look good.

Fair enough. I guess i’m getting to that age thinking that Jordan’s would not look good on me, and that’s coming from a Jordan shoe collector.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess i’m getting to that age thinking that Jordan’s would not look good on me, and that’s coming from a Jordan shoe collector.

Jordan's can look good but in a specific look and or individual. I can't pull it off personally.

Those shoes are the hybrid dress shoe/sneaker that was pretty popular pre pandemic. When I used to work in an office, a few senior guys wore them. My guess is, they wanted the comfort of a sneaker but the formality of a dress shoe.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I don’t follow why those would be the only options? If you’re going to wear a sneaker there are options that aren’t Jordan’s or Dunks.

The majority of the guys I see wearing the “dress sneaker” tend to be middle aged middle management guys and usually in their pair of “cool” jeans and a sport coat that’s too short and too tight.

acconrad

Reaction score
Just wear Koio Capris or Common Projects in White (or Black) instead of this chimerical abomination of a shoe.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There really is nothing good about the park ave sneakers.

It looks dumb as it's a complete mismatch of styles.

A cap toes oxford is a formal dress shoe for business, going out on the town, etc.

A sneaker is a sneaker.

A sneaker is the least formal shoe you can wear. Why ruin the formality of the Oxford by making it a sneaker?

You'd better off wearing converse or keds if you want to dress down. If you want to dress up, wear dress shoes.

Why not just wear brogues? Loafers? Nsts?

They're not as formal as cap toes and yet look better.

Nothing screams "style blind millennial" more than dress sneakers. No one older than 40 and younger than 28 wears them.

Hell, a pair of boots look better. Even like some redwings.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These dress sneakers are quite popular when I was in NYC last month. Brands like Santoni pushes these big time. Guys want comfortable shoes but also want to look a bit more dressed up.

It's like draw string suit trousers, blame these on covid/WFH...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ducatiti

Reaction score
Searched a bit up in here but didn't find any feedback. I've been seeing these so-called dress sneakers a bit more now, and it has been growing on me not gonna lie.. I've read many posts when they first came out and they weren't good at all :)

I would love to hear more from the fashion guru's in here :)

Thank you in advance.

So both pairs arrived. Purchased one for my son as well. Not as bad I expected them with the grain leather, a bit less formal in brown as well. Overall, I’m happy at $74 for a pair.

8267B584-FE2B-4400-93D7-11AC976B75A4.jpeg

Last edited:

ducatiti

Reaction score
Now buttery smooth with some Saphir Lovin’..
before
494FE398-813A-4081-B151-110C3921D503.jpeg

after
C84BD419-7339-4854-BE35-EA72DC9F57AF.jpeg

I have like around 30 pairs of dress shoes mainly non american branded pairs, and I just realized that these are my first Park Avenues :)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These things are abominations.

They serve no purpose other than perhaps to stoke a fire on a cold Christmas night.

They are emblematic of the downfall of a once great American shoemaker that might as well be Johnston and Murphy or Florsheim at this point.

Vomit.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now buttery smooth with some Saphir Lovin’..
before
View attachment 1864992
after
View attachment 1864993
I have like around 30 pairs of dress shoes mainly non american branded pairs, and I just realized that these are my first Park Avenues :)

It's weird that a captoe oxford would be grain leather, but at least this isn't a smooth black calf sneaker.

I don't see any advantage of this being a sneaker, though.

These would look goofy with everything.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fashion sneaker thing is a trend. Like many trendy fashion concepts, there are going to be people that like the trend and people that don't. Personally, what I don't like is trying to replace a dress shoe with one of these - just watch sports shoes - you'll see the personalities on ESPN wearing a suit and these type of sneakers. I think it looks terrible. But, I think some of them can look good with casual clothing - something you would otherwise wear a sneaker with. But, if you like the trend then that is all that matters. Just recognize it's a trend. And, you want to be cognizent of when the trend is over.

For this particular model of shoe - I'm not a fan of the makeup because of that clash of formal / informal. I much prefer the more upscale sneakers that still think they're a sneaker, not an oxford dress shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics