• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any idea what kind of boot/jean combination this might be?

themaskedcorndog

Reaction score
I saw ol' Bill Callahan on Easter Sunday and he was dressed resplendently in an outfit pretty much like he is in the linked photos and wondered what kind of boots those are and what cut of jean would fit over them so nicely. 511s? 501s? Hard to say, for me, but you guys seem to know a lot.

gallery_enlarged-billcallahan12.jpg

gallery_enlarged-billcallahan14.jpg

gallery_enlarged-billcallahan17.jpg

gallery_enlarged-billcallahan20.jpg

Ignore the hipsters standing aloof with their tallboys pretending to not be intimidated by a man who has slept with Chan Marshall and Joanna Newsom. He brushed up against me at the show and it was terrifying.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the boots look like ropers of some sort. the jeans look blue.

themaskedcorndog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
the boots look like ropers of some sort. the jeans look blue.

nice.

i barely even know enough to be able to refer to a certain type of boots as ropers, hence the basic question.

coldsnap: the show was pretty good. he played 7 or 8 songs off his new record, which isn't a long set but it was free so I had no problem with it. he made a couple jokes and then left. intimidating motherfucker.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yah, the rounded toe kind of gives it away and if you look closely you can see that they only go about halfway up his leg. the good thing about that, if you're trying to get that look, is that there are some pretty good, inexpensive, and well-made brands out there.

themaskedcorndog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
yah, the rounded toe kind of gives it away and if you look closely you can see that they only go about halfway up his leg. the good thing about that, if you're trying to get that look, is that there are some pretty good, inexpensive, and well-made brands out there.

how about Justin? or which brands would you recommend?

percy

Reaction score
any typical cowboy boot manufacturer will do some, but justin or frye produce some nice cheap roper boots. or for something a bit more expensive you could try lucchese which i personally like.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy is my idol. I've never listened to any of his music but Cat Power is a goddess. Just googled the other girl and she is gorgeous in a very Cat Powerish way too. Dude has done okay. Awesome boots to boot.

themaskedcorndog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
This guy is my idol. I've never listened to any of his music but Cat Power is a goddess. Just googled the other girl and she is gorgeous in a very Cat Powerish way too. Dude has done okay. Awesome boots to boot.

Oh, goddamn, man. Any album by Smog or Bill Callahan (both the same dude) is a good choice. Immediately find the following songs:

Dress Sexy At My Funeral (Smog)
River Guard (Smog)
Too Many Birds (Bill Callahan)
Rock Bottom Riser (Smog)
I Break Horses (Smog)
Sycamore (Bill Callahan)

Hardly anyone around today writes better lyrics. And, as much as I hate to say it, he is a lot cooler than Chan Marshall. Joanna Newsom writes great lyrics, great melodies, and primarily uses a harp, but sings like Lisa Simpson.

I'll look for some neat ropers now, thanks.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to take the mic and swing it into that kid up front's stupid hipster face.

The boots are a simple roper as has been mentioned. For cheaper boots, I personally like Durango but there are literally hundreds of brands and they all vary in quality from boot to boot. You can get ropers from $50 and go up to well over $500. Sheplers almost always has sales going but if you don't like buying shoes online, DEFINITELY don't do boots.

The jeans look like a simple red wash slim straight jean. Wrangler 936 is a decent guess but theres hardly any way to be sure from those shots.

And Cat Power is a ******* unstable ****. Seen her twice, she had some sort of 'episode' both times and walked off midset.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads