• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any hard core trads here?

abc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The fifth post down "dressing age appropriate" has this gem:

"For example, I've been told that my lobster and crab shorts......."

Hey! That was me! And yes those are the shorts, though mine are kakai.

Anyways, I think some of you gents are taking this a bit seriously. First off, I'll completely agree that the trad forum can be silly at times (yes, especially the "is it trad to talk about trad" thread). But I believe that for the most part, the posters there don't take it half as seriously as you all are making it out to seem. To me, the style of dress is no different than any other, its simply a matter of personal preference. Some like to wear diesel jeans and zegna shirts, some prefer a navy blazer and a regimental bowtie. I happen to fall in the latter category, though I am by no means a "hardcore trad". I have an interest in the way I look, and I enjoy talking with others about it. The crab shorts are a bit silly, but come on, you've gotta have some fun sometimes!

The bottom line, to me at least, is that most of the people on the trad forum are not the pretentious snobs you are making them out to be. We share an interest in things like crab shorts and regimental ties and we enjoy bantering about them, nothing more, nothing less. My ancestors may have been here since before 1700, and I may go to a top notch private university, but to me, the trad style of dress is nothing more than clothes. I don't see how dressing "tradly" is any different than dressing in the ways that you all might - its just personal preference.

ps - I'm glad that you all are getting a kick out of the shorts - in all seriousness, thats why I bought them. I never want to be a person who takes life too seriously, and if my silly shorts can bring a smile to someones face and give them a good laugh, I'm happy too.

abc123

Reaction score
The fifth post down "dressing age appropriate" has this gem:

"For example, I've been told that my lobster and crab shorts......."

My lovely girlfriend told me I'd be made fun of wearing those shorts, but she never warned me about posting about them on a message board! It seems my sartorial tendencies are making me a bit notorious...
devil.gif

Seriously, glad you found them entertaining (and no worries, no offense at all has been taken on my part).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abc123
My lovely girlfriend told me I'd be made fun of wearing those shorts, but she never warned me about posting about them on a message board! It seems my sartorial tendencies are making me a bit notorious...
devil.gif

Seriously, glad you found them entertaining (and no worries, no offense at all has been taken on my part).

I wear things that make me the ridicule of my wife (loud red pants,for example) but lobster and crab shorts just sounds so funny
smile.gif

mussel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Are hairy legs trad? It seems kind of "ethnic" to me.

I think it's more to do with color rather than density of hair. Light color hair makes it look not as hairy.

abc123

Reaction score
I wear things that make me the ridicule of my wife (loud red pants,for example) but lobster and crab shorts just sounds so funny
smile.gif

Believe me, they're over the top. You know that you've found a special lady when she not only puts up with your quirks, but even partakes in them with you on occassion (an example would be matching seersucker suits and dresses - now that turns a few heads while walking down the street!). That said, I have been told that after marriage, two of my possessions are going to the dumpster - Apocalypse Now, and the aforementioned shorts. The movie can go, but we both know the shorts are here to stay...

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm afraid you're going to have to educate me a little on this one. This trad label /category seems to run a pretty fine line. Going to the above mentioned web site, I (andover Shop)pulled a few jackets that I thought had rather nice fabric /pattern. Yes I understand crabs and cute little animals patterened over anything other than childrens ware is dangerous territory, but there are some nice clothes here to my eye. am I missing the obvious, or did i need to be from the eastern seabord and attend an ivy school to grasp the subtlties? anyone care to define exactly what, other crabs and a somewhat collegiate panache is objectionable?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads