1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any great compliments lately?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by galahad, Oct 17, 2009.

1. binge

binge Senior member

One of the salesman at the SF BB said to me that, "I walked around like I owned the place." Not sure if that was intended to be a compliment or not, but it was definitely one of the more unexpected things I've heard related to my presence.

2. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Of all things, the two most recent comments have been regarding my "brown is for farmers" Isaia nailhead suit. go figure.

3. KA1555

KA1555 Senior member

The other night I had the pleasure of meeting, having drinks with, and chatting with Billy Reid himself.

The sales associate that I know at the store introduced me as "one of the most stylish people in town."

While I do care about how I dress, even I know that's not true. Nevertheless, it was quite flattering to hear when being introduced to a designer.

4. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

One of the salesman at the SF BB said to me that, "I walked around like I owned the place." Not sure if that was intended to be a compliment or not, but it was definitely one of the more unexpected things I've heard related to my presence.

This sounds a bit back handed to me. Depends on his inflection.

5. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

I received my Brioni shirt purchased from Ebay and wore it to the local Pub.
    A sort of attractive women, late forties, comes up to me and asks me about the shirt.
    We start to talk and had a few drinks.
    She is looking better with each drink, and she asks me if I've ever had a fantasy about a mother daughter combination?
    I've had enough drinks that her age is no longer an issue and I say sure (I'm unattached).
    We go to her house and she asks me to make myself comfortable, but leave the shirt on.
    She goes over to the stairwell and calls out
    "Mom?"

6. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

A sort of attractive women, late forties, comes up to me and asks me about the shirt.
    She is looking better with each drink, and she asks me if I've ever had a fantasy about a mother daughter combination?
    I've had enough drinks that her age is no longer an issue and I say sure (I'm unattached).
    We go to her house and she asks me to make myself comfortable, but leave the shirt on.
    "Mom?"

Pictures or it didn't happen? [​IMG]

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

"Mom?"

Did she also call out "Conne?"

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

my wife and i regularly get compliments. say how cute we look together or how cute we are. mostly by middle aged and elderly korean and asian women.

9. -Norton-

-Norton- Senior member

The wife of one of my profs asked me last week at a communal drink where exactly I buy my shirts&shoes and if I could tell her husband the name of the shops/brands. [​IMG] I have never met her before and worried the whole time he might accidentally overhear this ridiculous "conversation"; awkward.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

My neighbour thought I had a new office job in London ...

It is a compliment for a Folkestone man.

11. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Senior member

I was walking down the sidewalk about a week ago and a little girl with her mother says "Look mommy, a man in a suit!" Not exactly a compliment but I thought it was adorable.

I got winked at 4 times on one lunch break by various 20-30yo women. [​IMG]

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Went to see a client yesterday with my regional manager. when we were walking back to the office, she said, "Gee...you always look so sharp"(I had on a red check gingham shirt under a navy suit/red tie, etc.) and also that she loves the shirts that I wear. I replied, "I scrub up well!"

13. MarcDominic

MarcDominic Active Member

I was walking to work last week, which is filled with tourists usually, and this girl in a pack of people (prob a high school field trip) blurts out to me "I love your belt". What do 13 year old girls know about men's fashion, haha, but hey I'll take the compliment.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

I was walking down the sidewalk about a week ago and a little girl with her mother says "Look mommy, a man in a suit!" Not exactly a compliment but I thought it was adorable.

I got winked at 4 times on one lunch break by various 20-30yo women. [​IMG]

this is always a good feeling. to know that women still appreciate a well dressed man in a suit or sport coat.

i got a couple of compliments on one of my borrelli shirts so far. nice.
    from the men though. "hey , nice shirt! where you get that?"

well, hopefully i ll get a few from women too. maybe theyre too shy to say anything around these part.s

15. Bentley

Bentley Senior member

I was walking to work last week, which is filled with tourists usually, and this girl in a pack of people (prob a high school field trip) blurts out to me "I love your belt". What do 13 year old girls know about men's fashion, haha, but hey I'll take the compliment.

What kind of belt were you wearing?

16. MarcDominic

MarcDominic Active Member

What kind of belt were you wearing?

Haha, some rinky dink Aldo belt. I buy expensive shoes and jeans...dress shirts, dress pants, belts, and suits I tend to go on the cheaper side

17. Dunvegan

Dunvegan Well-Known Member

My question to the forum:
    When was the last time you complimented a stranger for his wardrobe?
    I was walking up Fifth ave in NYC last monday, and there was a gentleman walking the other directin with a beautiful DB sports coat, and the perfect cream trousers.... HAD to stop and let him know!

18. Doxe

Doxe Senior member

I'm in Toronto and work downtown. We have the G20 conference here this weekend and the place is swarming with police. There are literally 4 cops on every street corner.

Yesterday, while leaving the office, I stopped at the corner to wait for the light. One of the police officers asks me where I bought my suit. The cop said he liked my style and asked if he could get a picture with me. The other officers were slighly embarassed, but the officer who stopped me was absolutely cool.

I should explain that all this week we've been told to dress down so that we would be inconspicuous to any protestors who are anti-G20. Well, I've never been bullied by some smelly anarchists and I'm not about to let the mere threat of some pinko getting in my face stop me from wearing what I want to wear.

That is why I was wearing a charcoal suit, blue striped bankers shirt with white cuffs and collar and a red and white polka-dot power tie. There was nothing outrageous about my clothes, they were rather tame compared to what people post in WAYWRN, but I looked like a lawyer and proud of it.

Everyone else was wearing ill-fitting jeans and t-shirts and golf-shirts. I was the only person wearing a suit. Screw the anarchists, the cops are on my side [​IMG]

Oh, and there never were any protestors. The entire thing is media hype and fear. My tailor (also downtown) had his windows boarded up out of an abundance of caution (WTF, the smellies don't like bespoke?).

Today I'm wearing blue and white saddle shoes, blue BB chinos and a white polo. Still at work contributing to GDP. I'm going to go down at lunch to check out the security fence that is outside my building. My prediction: tons and tons of bored, overheating cops making triple over-time and not a single protestor in sight.

19. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

A few weeks ago after a meeting ended, a few folks told me how striking I looked when I walked into the room. [​IMG]

20. Keebs

Keebs Member

Last night i showed up at a bar with some friends. I was wearing a nice pair of jeans, a black jacket that is like fitted (not sure if fitted is the correct term for jackets, but the point that it is slim fitting) and some wayfarer style glasses. They told me I looked like a rock star or f Rivers Cuomo (lead singer of Weezer) Ether way i took that as a compliment.