• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any great compliments lately?

IBJanky

Reaction score
I was at Nordstrom's the other weekend, and was just sitting down by the shoe section for a minute. This one female SA comes up to me and says, "Do you work in the fashion industry?"

I said, "No, I'm just a regular guy."

Then she says, "Well you go boy, because you've got style."

Later on that same hour, same store...

Some guy comes up to me and asks me where I got my sport coat and my trousers, because they fit me perfectly.

myke

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
I was at Nordstrom's the other weekend, and was just sitting down by the shoe section for a minute. This one female SA comes up to me and says, "Do you work in the fashion industry?"

Some guy comes up to me and asks me where I got my sport coat and my trousers, because they fit me perfectly.

myke

What's your middle name? Modest?

galahad

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that there are some compliments you would rather do without.

The comment I always get is "Savile Row?" Just because I happen to be wearing a suit that actually fits.

I expect most Brits on this forum are similarly bored with this comment.

Another tiresome one is "Have you just finished work?"

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by -Norton-
Don't know if that counts as a compliment but I caught a girl sniffing my shoes 2 weeks ago. Went clubbing with some friends and after we hooked up with some girls, two of them complimented me on my wardrobe (nothing special, blue sportcoat, white mtm-shirt, decent dark blue jeans) and one of them took care to mention more than three times that my Quarvif were the most beautiful shoes she had ever seen. Since she was hotter than the other girl I chose her and "caught" her the next morning kneeing in my hall and inspecting my shoe cabinet with hands&nose. That was more than weird, to say the least.

Besides that, I often get compliments for my wardrobe and don't like it that much. What to say apart from: Thanks!? Some people are that tasteless to continue and ask which brand a certain item is and how much the price was. Best thing to do is to lie. "Can't remember-It was a gift- Bought it in Italy at a small store- and so forth" Pathetic.

You're right, absolutely pathetic lying to someone like that...

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get nice tie a lot but only because people aren't used to seeing them outside of film and TV. I enjoy the attention though so i'm not going to let it bother me.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the price issue , I never ever say the price of an item.

I do say that wasn't cheap and I talk about the quality of the product.

I remember going to a party when i was younger and being bored to death listening to a dickhead talking to everybody about the price of his watch. That was the only time I told a crowd the price of my suit.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky

myke

haha! i love it. that guy must have been me
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

superfans124

Reaction score
went to an old friend's morning wedding a few weeks ago, saw a lot of people who I haven't been in touch with for years. had a lot of catching up to do, a lot of whereyouvebeens and whatareyoudoings. Upon knowing that I'm currently single, one said "you dress like that, and you tell me you don't have a fxxking girl?" the initial response was feeling flattered, but then the thought of "what is his internal monologue saying?" made me puzzled
eh.gif

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they were compliments... "Ayo, those boots are ridiculous!" (Yelled out of a truck) "Those are the tightest pants i've ever seen!" (Then they proceeded to laugh with at me) Both were in Philly. I've actually had people like the fit on my jeans so much that they tried to fight me! My favorite compliment was being identified as "the sexy one" by my Mexican coworkers at my former job. I was told I "looked lookbook," but I actually took some offense at that.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by -Norton-
Don't know if that counts as a compliment but I caught a girl sniffing my shoes 2 weeks ago. Went clubbing with some friends and after we hooked up with some girls, two of them complimented me on my wardrobe (nothing special, blue sportcoat, white mtm-shirt, decent dark blue jeans) and one of them took care to mention more than three times that my Quarvif were the most beautiful shoes she had ever seen. Since she was hotter than the other girl I chose her and "caught" her the next morning kneeing in my hall and inspecting my shoe cabinet with hands&nose. That was more than weird, to say the least.
That's pretty hilarious. Saphir BDC for the win?

-Norton-

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Always use your bespoke shoes to your advantage..
Actually, they're not bespoke. RTW wholecuts in chestnut with brogue, don't picture google quarvif, the results are just ugly loafers, brrr...

Originally Posted by apropos
That's pretty hilarious. Saphir BDC for the win?
Not a native speaker, what does that mean?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bum recently asked me for $10 while i was in Philly, I took it as a compliment, then asked her not to speak to me.

-Norton-

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Saphir BDC is a show wax/paste that smells quite nice (Almond oils) - girls like the smell. I had assumed that you used it (or a similar wax/paste), hence her smelling your shoes.
Ah, ok, thx.
She told me she likes the smell of leather in general. I use Burgol for my shoes but I care more about the visual results than the smell.^^

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics