• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any great compliments lately?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too recent, but definitely my favorite was from a law school intern who worked for us this summer. She is absolutely gorgeous and had all the guys drooling. I'm in the hall with a couple of other lawyers and she approaches me and starts stammering: "I hope you don't mind me saying this but ever day when you come to work you look like a model who just stepped out of a magazine." "No, I don't mind at all. Thank you very much." She walks away, blushing. One of my friends turns to me and says "Don't let it go to your head. I'm sure the magazine she was referring to was AARP."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about reverse compliments?

People are always asking me if I go to court later on because of my smart appearance.
That's a compliment in my neck of the wood.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best compliment I've received lately was actually great by comparison to the other comments the fellow was making. He was a shoe shine guy trying to drum up business by telling each passerby that they needed a shine or that their shoes weren't looking so good. When I walked by, he just said, "lookin' good my man, could use a slight touch-up, of course, but looking good"

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walking to El:

"Hey, Inspector Gadget!"
plain.gif
(was wearing black fedora and DB tan trench).

Waiting for the El:

"Hey, please don't take this the wrong way, but are you Spiderman? I was gonna axe you for an autograph."
eh.gif

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night: "You look like a movie star!" - My gf's dumb slut friend

I was wearing head to toe H&M and Alternative Apparel too.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Last night: "You look like a movie star!" - My gf's dumb slut friend

I was wearing head to toe H&M and Alternative Apparel too.

Be careful, there is movie star and movie star....Bollywood actors are quite sharp but some of them wear more interesting combos.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My professor noticed my tan pebble long wing.
"Looking like a true gent."

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Last night: "You look like a movie star!" - My gf's dumb slut friend I was wearing head to toe H&M and Alternative Apparel too.
Women are good for four things. Cooking. Cleaning. Vaginas. And their dumb slut friend's ******.
teacha.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was ill most of last week, and took Mon/Tues off but went in on Weds/Thurs but was much more scruffily dressed than usual. On Friday I was back to normal and dressed properly and got a couple of nice "you're looking glamorous again!", "back to the sharp suits!", "looking good again" type comments. Not *great* compliments per se, but it's nice that people notice, I guess.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by galahad
Coming home from the local pub this evening, I turn into my road and hear "Hello" I look around and see three kids about twelve years old on their bikes. I say "Hello, are you all right?" They reply "yes" in unison. A few steps further on I hear one of them say "It's James Bond" Well. who wouldn't be pleased? However, I made the mistake of telling my wife and she still hasn't stopped laughing.
Originally Posted by KPO89
I recently had a similar comment...some ridiculous blond at my college. "Are you James Bond...?" Apparently wearing a sportcoat in a world where my generation perpetual sees dressing nice as a cardinal offense against our almighty god of "Comfort". Appalling I really wanted to tell her that if I had a Brioni sportcoat I would not be at this school.
The James Bond stuff is just too funny. Happened to me plenty of times. One of the more memorable was pulling up to a friends house on a scooter in a summer suit, aviators, etc, and the little kids by his house were just blown away "Do you work for CIA? Do you have a gun?" They hung out with me for like 15 minutes while I was waiting, super cute.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I received a few compliments when I went to see the Columbus Symphony last weekend. I was wearing a Canali sportcoat.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rubinacci pocket squares. Always attract more compliments than the other ones. Except for the pocket squares, I obviously look like crap
confused.gif

galahad

Reaction score
One thing is for certain..... I wasn't wearing Brioni.

Don't twelve year olds know anything these days?
laugh.gif

-Norton-

Reaction score
Don't know if that counts as a compliment but I caught a girl sniffing my shoes 2 weeks ago. Went clubbing with some friends and after we hooked up with some girls, two of them complimented me on my wardrobe (nothing special, blue sportcoat, white mtm-shirt, decent dark blue jeans) and one of them took care to mention more than three times that my Quarvif were the most beautiful shoes she had ever seen. Since she was hotter than the other girl I chose her and "caught" her the next morning kneeing in my hall and inspecting my shoe cabinet with hands&nose. That was more than weird, to say the least.

Besides that, I often get compliments for my wardrobe and don't like it that much. What to say apart from: Thanks!? Some people are that tasteless to continue and ask which brand a certain item is and how much the price was. Best thing to do is to lie. "Can't remember-It was a gift- Bought it in Italy at a small store- and so forth" Pathetic.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by -Norton-
Don't know if that counts as a compliment but I caught a girl sniffing my shoes 2 weeks ago. Went clubbing with some friends and after we hooked up with some girls, two of them complimented me on my wardrobe (nothing special, blue sportcoat, white mtm-shirt, decent dark blue jeans) and one of them took care to mention more than three times that my Quarvif were the most beautiful shoes she had ever seen. Since she was hotter than the other girl I chose her and "caught" her the next morning kneeing in my hall and inspecting my shoe cabinet with hands&nose. That was more than weird, to say the least.

Besides that, I often get compliments for my wardrobe and don't like it that much. What to say apart from: Thanks!? Some people are that tasteless to continue and ask which brand a certain item is and how much the price was. Best thing to do is to lie. "Can't remember-It was a gift- Bought it in Italy at a small store- and so forth" Pathetic.

Always use your bespoke shoes to your advantage..Girls love that even if most of the time they always fall for the hideous pair of LV or other design crap your mate is wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics