1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any great compliments lately?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by galahad, Oct 17, 2009.

1. KPO89

KPO89 Senior member

Actually one of the few advantages of living in an economically rough area (Shreveport LA). We have multiple Goodwills and a couple of salvation armies. And it seems that what moves in these places isn't the stuff I like. Without exaggeration, in addition to the above stuff (like 20 ties in the past month, nothing less nice than a Talbott BOC), in the past month I've pulled six RL black label button ups, a YSL and Aquascutum button up, a Harris Tweed blazer, a de la Renta navy blazer, a BB brown herringbone blazer, nice charcoal gray Armani flat fronts, a Burberry brown herringbone trouser, and a YSL black wool trouser. Aaaaand an unworn Willis & Geiger Hemingway safari jacket that I had to give to my dad (right handers shooting pad, he's a rightie shooting, I'm not). I dislike northern LA with a passion, but if this keeps up I may stay.

You know people like me would sell that on here and make a little profit all the while helping all of us out! It would be a win win....

2. Doorstop

Doorstop Active Member

You know people like me would sell that on here and make a little profit all the while helping all of us out! It would be a win win....

Most of the way off stuff has gone to two brothers of different sizes than me (one of whom hunts with me on the trips) or immediate friends. Anything really awesome will be sold, trust me.

3. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Any great compliments recently? Primarily on Howard Yount items.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Wore my Burberry trench & Borsalino fedora a few days ago, I'm at the supermarket. Older woman was eyeing me by the cucumbers. I said, 'hello'. She said, 'hello'. I said, 'how are you'. She said, 'fine thank you, you are all dressed up.' I said, 'am I?' She said, 'yes I like your fedora & trenchcoat.' I said, 'thank you, I like your lipstick'. (a borrowed line from Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares)[/i]. She chuckled, then said, 'My husband has one just like that. It's London Fog, right?' [​IMG] I managed a 'suprised' smile and said, 'Why yes it is. Well, I'm impressed. You certainly know your trenchcoats!' Bless her heart, I just couldn't correct her.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Older woman was eyeing me by the cucumbers.

I thought it was going to take a totally different turn after this line.

6. Exit English

Exit English Senior member

I had someone come up and thank me for the outfit I was wearing today at a wedding because it made him feel really happy.

I think it was the brown cordouroy jacket and the blue bow tie with orange polka dots.

7. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

At the HK Electronics Fair a couple of Indians in our booth told me that I am "very handsome man." [​IMG]

8. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

I've been getting compliments everyday on my Saddleback Leather chestnut backpack, which I have been carrying around for the last two weeks (pictures of which I have yet to post on the official Saddleback Leather thread.)

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I was away for the last few days and received the type of compliments that I like to get, "you're dressed very nicely", and the like. No one particular item mentioned, just the overall appearance. Even in the Philly airport yesterday, I had a stranger or two pay nice compliments. I was dressed in BF suits and ties, OCBD shirts, longwings, and an overcoat.

10. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

I was at the 316 Club's Ketel One event last Thursday and I complimented the hostess on her appearance (usually she wears jeans but that evening she was glammed-up in a mini-dress and boots). She said, "That's such a compiment coming from you because you're so stylish."

11. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Not too recent, but definitely my favorite was from a law school intern who worked for us this summer. She is absolutely gorgeous and had all the guys drooling. I'm in the hall with a couple of other lawyers and she approaches me and starts stammering: "I hope you don't mind me saying this but ever day when you come to work you look like a model who just stepped out of a magazine." "No, I don't mind at all. Thank you very much." She walks away, blushing. One of my friends turns to me and says "Don't let it go to your head. I'm sure the magazine she was referring to was AARP."

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

How about reverse compliments?

People are always asking me if I go to court later on because of my smart appearance.
    That's a compliment in my neck of the wood.

13. knittieguy

knittieguy Senior member

The best compliment I've received lately was actually great by comparison to the other comments the fellow was making. He was a shoe shine guy trying to drum up business by telling each passerby that they needed a shine or that their shoes weren't looking so good. When I walked by, he just said, "lookin' good my man, could use a slight touch-up, of course, but looking good"

14. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Walking to El:

"Hey, Inspector Gadget!" [​IMG] (was wearing black fedora and DB tan trench).

Waiting for the El:

"Hey, please don't take this the wrong way, but are you Spiderman? I was gonna axe you for an autograph." [​IMG]

15. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Last night: "You look like a movie star!" - My gf's dumb slut friend

I was wearing head to toe H&M and Alternative Apparel too.

16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Last night: "You look like a movie star!" - My gf's dumb slut friend

I was wearing head to toe H&M and Alternative Apparel too.

Be careful, there is movie star and movie star....Bollywood actors are quite sharp but some of them wear more interesting combos.

17. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

My professor noticed my tan pebble long wing.
    "Looking like a true gent."

18. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Last night: "You look like a movie star!" - My gf's dumb slut friend I was wearing head to toe H&M and Alternative Apparel too.
    Women are good for four things. Cooking. Cleaning. Vaginas. And their dumb slut friend's vagina. [​IMG]

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I was ill most of last week, and took Mon/Tues off but went in on Weds/Thurs but was much more scruffily dressed than usual. On Friday I was back to normal and dressed properly and got a couple of nice "you're looking glamorous again!", "back to the sharp suits!", "looking good again" type comments. Not *great* compliments per se, but it's nice that people notice, I guess.

20. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Coming home from the local pub this evening, I turn into my road and hear "Hello" I look around and see three kids about twelve years old on their bikes. I say "Hello, are you all right?" They reply "yes" in unison. A few steps further on I hear one of them say "It's James Bond" Well. who wouldn't be pleased? However, I made the mistake of telling my wife and she still hasn't stopped laughing.
    I recently had a similar comment...some ridiculous blond at my college. "Are you James Bond...?" Apparently wearing a sportcoat in a world where my generation perpetual sees dressing nice as a cardinal offense against our almighty god of "Comfort". Appalling I really wanted to tell her that if I had a Brioni sportcoat I would not be at this school.
    The James Bond stuff is just too funny. Happened to me plenty of times. One of the more memorable was pulling up to a friends house on a scooter in a summer suit, aviators, etc, and the little kids by his house were just blown away "Do you work for CIA? Do you have a gun?" They hung out with me for like 15 minutes while I was waiting, super cute.