Any great compliments lately?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by galahad, Oct 17, 2009.

1. galahad

galahad Active Member

Coming home from the local pub this evening, I turn into my road and hear "Hello"

I look around and see three kids about twelve years old on their bikes.

I say "Hello, are you all right?"

They reply "yes" in unison.

A few steps further on I hear one of them say "It's James Bond"

Well. who wouldn't be pleased? However, I made the mistake of telling my wife and she still hasn't stopped laughing.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

At a recent luncheon, another gentleman guest approached me out of the blue and said I looked so sharp he should sterilize himself just from looking at me. I was caught off guard for sure, felt great.

3. furo

furo Senior member

Quite a few at a recent wedding I attended wearing a Black Fleece suit

Also a couple days ago at Saks, while wearing a BB Fitz herringbone sportcoat

4. doctorj!

doctorj! Senior member

I got a few compliments on a pair of Paul Smith shoes I was wearing the other day. Also got many compliments on a pair of Gucci flower shoes that everyone here hated at a wedding. A bunch of gals at a table were taking pics of my shoes! Was nice!
    Ankur

5. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

I haven't received any compliments in a while. I'd be happy with just mediocre compliments. I'm starting to think I'll need to be more interesting. Maybe I need a bigger wardrobe.
    Also got many compliments on a pair of Gucci flower shoes that everyone here hated at a wedding.
    I still remember those shoes. They were interesting, but I'm sure I speak for all when I say we weren't at the wedding. [​IMG]

6. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Senior member

Coming home from the local pub this evening, I turn into my road and hear "Hello"

I look around and see three kids about twelve years old on their bikes.

I say "Hello, are you all right?"

They reply "yes" in unison.

Well. who wouldn't be pleased? However, I made the mistake of telling my wife and she still hasn't stopped laughing.

[​IMG]

That is awesome

7. Oswald Cornelius

Oswald Cornelius Member

Heard recently: "Oz, you don't look as fat as you used to."

8. ilkandi

ilkandi Member

I occasionally get compliments from a sales group I look sharp.
    But, it's all relative; most of my immediate coworkers are older than I, and wear whatever they find that day. They look at me suspiciously as if I'm about to/have just gone on an interview, or I'm being uppity if my shirt complements my pants and shoes (I'm in IT) [​IMG] but I refuse to give up!

9. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

Let's see I got a compliment on the Paul Stuart odd jacket I wore last week. It was the first day I'd worn it.

I often get compliments on the plane from flight attendants. I take those to heart, as they see a TON of business travelers. Most recently it was on one of my new Charvet ties that I bought on vacation in Paris this past summer.

10. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

"looking spiffy in that jacket, very mafioso"

even though it wasn't very mafia like...

11. KPO89

KPO89 Senior member

A hostess at a local restaurant told me that my girlfriend and I looked "like a model couple" which of course is true since she was on a Seventeen magazine cover....me? I don't know about that.

I know I know....I'm a braggart

But doesn't a guy have a right to brag about his girl??? Or is the this ostentatious as well?

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

A hostess at a local restaurant told me that my girlfriend and I looked "like a model couple" which of course is true since she was on a Seventeen magazine cover....me? I don't know about that.

I know I know....I'm a braggart

But doesn't a guy have a right to brag about his girl??? Or is the this ostentatious as well?

It is ostentatious, but that is exactly why I love doing it.

13. Doorstop

Doorstop Active Member

After lurking here for a bit, I have stepped up the game on my wardrobe somewhat. Getting shirts that fit, and tailoring the ones that don't, some decent blazers, shoes, etc.
    But since I teach public high school, most of the compliments I get make me feel like a dirty old man (I'm 32), but are flattering nonetheless.
    Since I teach in the inner city, I find it hilarious the conversations I get into with young urban youths about my style and theirs. They express an admiration for some of what I wear, but wonder why it's fitted. I compliment their clothes and joke about why none of it fits. I've actually established a nice rapport with some of these kids just from clothes, so thanks yall.

14. KPO89

KPO89 Senior member

I recently had a similar comment...some ridiculous blond at my college. "Are you James Bond...?"
    Apparently wearing a sportcoat in a world where my generation perpetual sees dressing nice as a cardinal offense against our almighty god of "Comfort". Appalling

I really wanted to tell her that if I had a Brioni sportcoat I would not be at this school.

15. KPO89

KPO89 Senior member

After lurking here for a bit, I have stepped up the game on my wardrobe somewhat. Getting shirts that fit, and tailoring the ones that don't, some decent blazers, shoes, etc.
    But since I teach public high school, most of the compliments I get make me feel like a dirty old man (I'm 32), but are flattering nonetheless.
    Since I teach in the inner city, I find it hilarious the conversations I get into with young urban youths about my style and theirs. They express an admiration for some of what I wear, but wonder why it's fitted. I compliment their clothes and joke about why none of it fits. I've actually established a nice rapport with some of these kids just from clothes, so thanks yall.

Hey we didn't pick out your stuff...

Thank yourself.