• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any good 3/4 coats out there?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kicking myself for not buying one of the Brooks 3/4 length patterned coats that were out last Fall, as I love plaids and, yes, checks.

Went shopping this weekend and patterns have apparently been deemed "out" by the powers that be (which - I now understand after viewing 'The Devil Wears Prada' with the amazing Ms. Hathaway - hold more sway over my sartorial options than I heretofore thought possible) and basic tan, brown, and charcoal are now "in." Boring.

Anyone know where I can find a patterned car coat or, hell, even full-length? Ebay has produced nothing.

I'm thinking of punting and just wearing a sport coat every day, sans the outerwear.

Your recommendations are warmly appreciated.

Lord Byron

Reaction score
Loro Piana has some of the best coats I've ever seen. The 3/4 seems to be a speciality of sorts with them. Classic style, strong construction, expensive, but long-lasting. NYC store.

sammy

Reaction score
I'm assuming that "3/4" means, "above the knee". Is that correct?. Is a car coat length considered 3/4?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sammy
I'm assuming that "3/4" means, "above the knee". Is that correct?. Is a car coat length considered 3/4?
You are correct, Sir.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Here's an above the knee Valentino tweed coat:

Stop yelling

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oohh, very nice chalk stripes. I was looking for something a bit less formal, though, that wouldn't be out of place with jeans/cords.

Also, neither the Michel Angelo nor the FiH have my size (44).

Maybe I'll just have to wear a sport coat like an aged Sicilian, walking around with my hands behind my back. One could do worse.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love the look of this coat from the Orvis website. It might be a bit longer than what you're looking for, but it does have a nice windowpane pattern. I think it would work well with jeans or cords.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I'm looking for, pattern-wise.

I think that's it.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.