1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any fixed-gear/single-speed fans?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by sygyzy, Jul 17, 2007.

1. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

does a bmx count? if so i was in my younger days

That is why I am buying a fixed gear road bike. Reminds me of my youthful days riding my BMX from sun up to sun down. [​IMG]

2. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

.. but you can't do tabletops with the bikes posted idt
    =(

3. CityConnection

.. but you can't do tabletops with the bikes posted idt
    =(

lol. But there are people who do land tricks. [​IMG]

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

You will all enjoy this.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    Amazing and beautiful.

5. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

I have a single speed specialized bicycle. Nothing amazing and not nearly as cool as some of the old school stuff.

When I did restore a vintage bicycle I wanted something a little more usable. I wanted to ride it everywhere. Used a old school steel lug colnago with a single down tube shifter for the rear and only the large ring up front. 6 speed cassette out back with big enough gaps that I can ride it up the steepest of mountains and race down. Used campagnolo nuovo groupset with modolo levers. cables are ran so you don't really see them. Give a really smooth and fast look to the bike. Has a newer brooks saddle that still hurts but it looks cool on the bike.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a single speed specialized bicycle. Nothing amazing and not nearly as cool as some of the old school stuff.

When I did restore a vintage bicycle I wanted something a little more usable. I wanted to ride it everywhere. Used a old school steel lug colnago with a single down tube shifter for the rear and only the large ring up front. 6 speed cassette out back with big enough gaps that I can ride it up the steepest of mountains and race down. Used campagnolo nuovo groupset with modolo levers. cables are ran so you don't really see them. Give a really smooth and fast look to the bike. Has a newer brooks saddle that still hurts but it looks cool on the bike.

I like this plan. Sounds like a great bike. Pics, please?

7. CityConnection

cables are ran so you don't really see them.

How are the cables run?

8. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Yeah, while I do not currently have a fixie (and right now the hipster connotations and my curent overgrowth of bikes are keeping me from getting another until I move), there is something beautiful about the raw transfer of power that a fixed gear provides.

If you build up a bike with solid parts everywhere (no wiggle in the headset, wheels, bottom bracket) and rig it with a fixed gear, you end up with a bike that has no play in any part including the pedals...just pure man powered machine.

They arwe also good for training you not to coast so much

I've got a multi-gear bike and while I have nothing against them, I don't get the hype for fixed gears. Having gears makes life much more convenient, and I haven't really experienced any consequences to riding one...

9. turboman808

How are the cables run?

Only a single down tube shifter for the rear cassette. So yeah there is a cable but with no sleeve. The brake cables are run thru the bottom of the lever and then ran under the brooks leather bar tape. So yeah I have cables but not showing that much. 6 inches at the bar tape and 6 inches at the rear cassette.

At first glance people think it's a single speed sometimes. Then they see the rear derailer. I guess I should take pictures of it.

Oh also have pantographed seat post, cranks and stem. The brakes are shimano delta.

10. CityConnection

Only a single down tube shifter for the rear cassette. So yeah there is a cable but with no sleeve. The brake cables are run thru the bottom of the lever and then ran under the brooks leather bar tape. So yeah I have cables but not showing that much. 6 inches at the bar tape and 6 inches at the rear cassette.

At first glance people think it's a single speed sometimes. Then they see the rear derailer. I guess I should take pictures of it.

Oh also have pantographed seat post, cranks and stem. The brakes are shimano delta.

Cool!

11. otc

otc Senior member

I've got a multi-gear bike and while I have nothing against them, I don't get the hype for fixed gears. Having gears makes life much more convenient, and I haven't really experienced any consequences to riding one...

As I said, I don't currently have a fixed gear and there aren't really any consequences to riding a bike with gears. Fixies just give you an absolute purity to the experiance and are great for training things like a smooth pedal stroke.

The bike I ride the most (errands/to class before graduation) is a vintage internal hub 3-speed that I restored. It doesn't have the solid feel of a good fixie but it has the easy maintenance advantage and I don't have to worry about pant legs.

12. mondayc

mondayc Senior member

I have a 93-94 Bianchi Asprey frame in fair shape (good enough to get looks, but nothing bike thieves will lust) that I might build into a SS commuter/beater, but I'm also checking garage sales for a potential fixed gear conversion. I'd also like a Soma Rush for fixed purposes. The Soma Juice also has appeal with the bent top tube. Actually, I need a job and a bigger shed.

13. Seanallen

Seanallen Senior member

I rode a Detel Marathon 2000, the company was based out of Green Bay and only made bikes for about 7 months. It's nothing great, its just a basic steel frame roadbike, but I love the story behind it. I was planning to turn it into a fixed gear but I instead gave it to my dad.
    This is what I want now;
    [​IMG]

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I have a specialized langster, and I absolutely love it. It's quick, light, nimble, and just plain fun to ride. I don't miss clunking gears at all.

However, it does have a flipflop hub that's always been set to freewheel, so I do get to coast. I am nowhere near hardcore enough to ride fixed all the time. And if there were any significant hills around, I'd probably want some gears.

15. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

I've tried both. I wasn't a fan of fixed. Of course I only rode one once, but it just seemed like it would be hard on my knees after awhile, especially when "braking." I have an old Schwinn and I've thought about making it a single speed --for all practical purposes it IS a single speed because I never need to shift gears...Chicago is very flat. However, the 2 pounds(?) in weight I'd save from doing the conversion would really mean little as I'm not looking to race.

16. turboman808

I have a specialized langster, and I absolutely love it. It's quick, light, nimble, and just plain fun to ride. I don't miss clunking gears at all.

However, it does have a flipflop hub that's always been set to freewheel, so I do get to coast. I am nowhere near hardcore enough to ride fixed all the time. And if there were any significant hills around, I'd probably want some gears.

Yes that's the fixed gear I have. I couldn't remember the name. Changed the handle bars to a more traditional bar you might see at a velodrome. I used to like near Kissena BLvd and raced a few times. Those guys are crazy and I stopped before I broke my leg. I give credit though. Those guys have major balls.

I have a cyclocross brake instead of the stock one. It's 5 minutes to take on and off.

Getting back to the langster. The frame is so hard it give the roughest ride I have ever felt. You don't realize that frames have a flex to them until oyu ride something that has none.

17. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I am a big fan of watching guys on fixies get hit by taxis.

18. graphite

graphite Senior member

here's mine. no brand name. [​IMG]

19. CityConnection

here's mine. no brand name.

Great way to deter thieves. [​IMG]

20. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

i modified this, it has bar tape and some minor cosmetic changes now, this was from a year ago: [​IMG] other frame is a miyata 110 i'm building into a touring-inspired rain bike with fenders and mustache bars. i may get a sturmey archer or some sort of internal hub but i'm not really sure yet. [​IMG]