Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any fishermen on here?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by mrpologuy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I havn't fished since I was a kid and am planning on starting again this week. I will be fishing small freshwater lakes and rivers that have lots of trout, pike, bass, and walleyes. I am mostly interested in the trout and bass. Can anyone recomend what type of rods and lures I should be lookig for? Should I use live bait or a lure? Any tricks you guys use would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks fore the help.

2. Stu

Stu Senior member

I havn't fished since I was a kid and am planning on starting again this week. I will be fishing small freshwater lakes and rivers that have lots of trout, pike, bass, and walleyes. I am mostly interested in the trout and bass. Can anyone recomend what type of rods and lures I should be lookig for? Should I use live bait or a lure? Any tricks you guys use would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks fore the help.

I used to slay bluegill left and right with bee moths. They are those short fat slugs and very easy to thread on your hook. I don't know much about trout, but I think bass will eat just about anything. I would try bee moths and see what you get.

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

I enjoy fly fishing quite a bit.
    Fly fishing is (to me) more engaging than bait fishing. Particularly, there is a real thrill in watching a fish take a dry fly. Casting with a fly rod is more fun than with spinning gear as well.

I would suggest Fly Anglers Online as a good place to start.
    There is some good information, and a very friendly and helpful forum community.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

As for fishing gear, Cabelas has probably the best selection and prices you are likely to find. Ebay can also be a source of some decent bargains.

You are probably looking for a 4 or 5 piece graphite fly rod that is 9 feet long and is designed to cast a 5 or 6 weight line.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...038&hasJS=true

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    For the best thrill, use as light a rod and reel as you can. Great action; when a bass hits your surface lure you'll think you've hooked a whale. Obviously, look at the bugs in the air and on the water: that will guide you as to your bait, be it live or artificial.

5. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Senior member

I fish bass mostly with a hook and a worm on it, It's the safest way to catch them.
    Otherwise with throw, I would recommend silver spinners.

6. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Use a Mepps spinner (#1 or #2) and/or Rapala (size 5 or 7).

For live bait (boring!) I'd use minnows for bass; trout are usually not big fans of live bait. Most people in your neck of the woods would use eggs for trout, which requires a delicate touch.

Better off using the lures, IMHO.

Go for about 8-lb test line as a nice compromise, maybe 10 if there are lots of weeds/branches.