Any fishermen on here?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by mrpologuy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I havn't fished since I was a kid and am planning on starting again this week. I will be fishing small freshwater lakes and rivers that have lots of trout, pike, bass, and walleyes. I am mostly interested in the trout and bass. Can anyone recomend what type of rods and lures I should be lookig for? Should I use live bait or a lure? Any tricks you guys use would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks fore the help.

2. Stu

Stu Senior member

I havn't fished since I was a kid and am planning on starting again this week. I will be fishing small freshwater lakes and rivers that have lots of trout, pike, bass, and walleyes. I am mostly interested in the trout and bass. Can anyone recomend what type of rods and lures I should be lookig for? Should I use live bait or a lure? Any tricks you guys use would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks fore the help.

I used to slay bluegill left and right with bee moths. They are those short fat slugs and very easy to thread on your hook. I don't know much about trout, but I think bass will eat just about anything. I would try bee moths and see what you get.

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

I enjoy fly fishing quite a bit.
    Fly fishing is (to me) more engaging than bait fishing. Particularly, there is a real thrill in watching a fish take a dry fly. Casting with a fly rod is more fun than with spinning gear as well.

I would suggest Fly Anglers Online as a good place to start.
    There is some good information, and a very friendly and helpful forum community.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

As for fishing gear, Cabelas has probably the best selection and prices you are likely to find. Ebay can also be a source of some decent bargains.

You are probably looking for a 4 or 5 piece graphite fly rod that is 9 feet long and is designed to cast a 5 or 6 weight line.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...038&hasJS=true

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    For the best thrill, use as light a rod and reel as you can. Great action; when a bass hits your surface lure you'll think you've hooked a whale. Obviously, look at the bugs in the air and on the water: that will guide you as to your bait, be it live or artificial.

5. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Senior member

I fish bass mostly with a hook and a worm on it, It's the safest way to catch them.
    Otherwise with throw, I would recommend silver spinners.

6. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Use a Mepps spinner (#1 or #2) and/or Rapala (size 5 or 7).

For live bait (boring!) I'd use minnows for bass; trout are usually not big fans of live bait. Most people in your neck of the woods would use eggs for trout, which requires a delicate touch.

Better off using the lures, IMHO.

Go for about 8-lb test line as a nice compromise, maybe 10 if there are lots of weeds/branches.