• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any firefighters/fire dept workers on the forum?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am interested in joining our fire station here as a volunteer cadet and have picked up an application. Does anyone have any pointers or basics that I should know?

TIA
JB

TwentySomthing

Reaction score
As you know, you'll have to get certified (depending on age) and go through a (usually) state run course. I volunteered out of high school for the volunteer firefighters in town, I wasn't able to get certified at the time because I was too young, but now that I am old enough, I have not been able to find the time. However my firehouse ran weekly drills where I learned most everything I needed to know to help out. We did a lot of controlled burns, mock drills, and as a young member who just joined, a fair amount of truck washing. The biggest tip in my opinion is to pay attention to what your instructors say. It might sound simple, but it's often forgotten, commit what they are telling you to memory and try to attend as many drills as possible so actions become second nature. Not to sound overly dramatic, but it could save your life, save you from injury, and or save somebody else. Afterall, firefighting is a inherently risky business (sometimes, there is usually loads of downtime and false alarms so don't give your hopes up everytime the siren ring). Also, learn what the names of tools are, their alternate uses (think out of the box), and where they are located on every truck that your company runs, it will save you loads of time in a hurry and you'll look like a fool for not knowing. Hope this helps.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a firefighter, but I do have experience working alongside firefighters for various purposes. My advice would be to get EMT certified if this is really something you are serious about. It seems like fire crews arrive on scene faster than the ambulances usually, so you'll need to be able to stabilize patients as best as possible until the medics get there. If nothing else, take CPR (red cross pro rescue or AHA equivalent, not the basic CPR), and get first aid certified.

Also, be in great shape physically. I have worn SCBA and Level A chemical protective equipment. You need to have a good set of lungs, and be able to handle serious amounts of weight (imagine carrying hose while wearing turnout gear).

Other than that, like anything, see if you can befriend one of the more experienced firefighters and learn everything and anything possible. A mentor is always an advantage.

TwentySomthing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I'm not a firefighter, but I do have experience working alongside firefighters for various purposes. My advice would be to get EMT certified if this is really something you are serious about. It seems like fire crews arrive on scene faster than the ambulances usually, so you'll need to be able to stabilize patients as best as possible until the medics get there. If nothing else, take CPR (red cross pro rescue or AHA equivalent, not the basic CPR), and get first aid certified.

Also, be in great shape physically. I have worn SCBA and Level A chemical protective equipment. You need to have a good set of lungs, and be able to handle serious amounts of weight (imagine carrying hose while wearing turnout gear).

Other than that, like anything, see if you can befriend one of the more experienced firefighters and learn everything and anything possible. A mentor is always an advantage.

+1

Becoming an EMT or at least getting you basics as a first responder are a must, I had help becuase my father was an EMT-I. And being in shape helps a great deal as well. Hauling around 50 lbs. oxygen tanks on your back, possibly a hose, mabye somebody, and not to mention the weight of your normal gear, as well as trying to breathe through a mask will take alot out of you.

I remeber when we had a controlled burn in a fire tower, although I wasn't certified to go in, I was handed "practice" Putting on all the gear along with the tank and mask and I did jumping jacks and short runs to learn how to breathe correctly. It was no easy task, and I did play college soccer as well so I wasn't unfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads