• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any ezcema suffereres here?

mrpologuy

Reaction score
My ezcema has been really bad the past few months. It was gone for years and hos now reappeared. I had it bad when I was a child. I am planning to see a dermatologist to get it checked out. I hve done some research online and have found some useful info. What do you guys do to control it? How have doctors helped you with this problem? I am trying to moisturize and have stopped using fabric softener and use a perfume and dye free detergent. I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the help!

chrysalid

Reaction score
i have permanent dry skin on my left palm (yes i am left handed, and no its not caused by what you may be thinking). i don't think it's eczema, more a fairly non-descript nast dermatitis. like you, any thing perfumed worsens it so i use only 'simple' brand soap and e45 cream to regularly moisturise. this is in no way curative, but does help to alleviate the symptoms. i went to the doctor a bit ago and got a tube of hydro-cortisone steroid cream, i believe you can buy it over the counter as hc45, it was marginally more effective at controlling the symptoms, but once i wash my hands it dries up again, so i decided not to bother with it.

i find it impossible to avoid fragranced stuff touching the affected area - soap in public washrooms, washing up liquids and the chemicals on normal a4 paper all seem to affect me quite badly. i hope yours clears up quickly and is not too much of a bastard at the moment.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpologuy
My ezcema has been really bad the past few months. It was gone for years and hos now reappeared. I had it bad when I was a child. I am planning to see a dermatologist to get it checked out. I hve done some research online and have found some useful info. What do you guys do to control it? How have doctors helped you with this problem? I am trying to moisturize and have stopped using fabric softener and use a perfume and dye free detergent. I don't know what else to do. Thanks for the help!

I was diagnosed with very mild eczema. It usually happens in the creases of my arms (elbows and underarms) and legs. I didn't know what the itching was for the longest time and tried moisturizers, showering more/less. I just thought it was dry skin. Then, I went to the Dermatologist.

My doctor prescribed a steroid (I think it's a steroid) and when I get flare ups I put the cream on and it goes away. It seems to be mostly stress related for me. When I get stressed, the eczema comes out.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have mild excema, find that it pops up when I am stressed or really dehydrated.

My doc prescribed Temnovate (brand name). Its a not greasy steriod cream. I only need it every once in a blue moon, but it works pretty well for me.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with Hand Eczema last year. I experienced very bad breakouts on my hands. My dermatologist had me use three different creams. It evenutally got better and I haven't had a bad breakout since.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I've had this delightful condition, since college. My dermatalogist says it was caused, by nerves. I think in my case, that's true. The irritation comes and goes, but sure enough: whenever I'm under extreme stress, eruptions appear. It's itchy and causes my fingers' skin to crack. Usually I get it on my index finger, and on my ring finger. Both, on the right hand. Have used a number of preparations: hydrocortizone, A&D ointment, another cream that contains fish oil.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My 6-month-old son has eczema that was getting much worse last week.

The doctor found that it was being exacerbated by a secondary infection of some sort, so Bobby is currently on antibiotics, anti-itch medication and we are also using Elidil prescription cream and Cetaphil Lotion to clear up his skin and keep him moisturized. His eczema has cleared up dramatically in just 5-days after our doctor visit.

Despite the allergist visit and tests that said he is NOT allergic to anything, I went ahead and purchased a HEPA filter for our AC/Heater air vent, some anti-allergen spray for the carpets and a small HEPA air filter for the nursery.

If nothing else, we want to avoid irritating the condition again.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had it on my hands for a while when I was taking Accutane. I would use a steroid cream twice a day until it went away. Then if it came back after a few weeks, same thing.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have it from time to time, mostly just on my right hand (and sometimes on the bottom of my right foot). I generally just mosturize unless it gets really bad. If it gets a little worse, I'll buy some hydrocortisone cream and use that, which usually helps. If it gets really bad (it hasn't in a few years, I'll go to the dermatologist for a prescription cream - usually a steroid).

One tip I've always read is that wool can exacerbate eczema. Thus, I don't wear wool socks and I only wear wool sweaters with a long sleeve shirt on underneath.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask your doctor about vitamin deficiencies.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a bad dry spot on the top of my right hand. I try to moisturize from the inside out with flaxseed oil and drinking lots of rooibos tea (both of which are very good for the skin). Also, I use Corn Huskers Lotion before bed and after my morning shower.

When I forget to do all this, it itches bad and gets red spots and starts to burn. That's when I have to break out the big guns, like Desoximetasone

Oh yeah, for bath soap I like KMF Olive Oil bar, or as I like to call it, Poor Man's Savon de Marseilles

tiratela

Reaction score
My first bout with Ezcema occurred while I was training with the A.F. Pararescue (12 years ago). I developed it in my inner thighs and on my stomach after spending too much time in the swimming pool. The Flight Surgeon that evaluated me almost had to disqualify me from training. I was soo bummed.

I was given this moisturizer and a steroid cream that I had to apply after a warm shower. It practically cleared it up.

Stress has a lot to do with Ezcema. Make sure you use some natural lotion after you shower. At times the chemicals that lotions have tend to irritate it more..

G' Luck..

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got very mild psoriasis and I use Betamethasone .05 or.1, doctor prescribed. Keeps it in check quite well. I think it would work just as well for eczema.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eczema, I believe, is most likely caused by an acute immuno response due to an upregulation of prostaglandins and cytokines.
Here is a link stating the inflammation associated with eczema. (http://www.eczemaguide.com/eczema_ba...lammation.html)

To get rid of it I would try balancing your omega 3:6 levels. The western diet is heavily weighted towards bad omega 6s, which will totally jack up your system and cause inflammation.

Without going out and paying $200 for an essential ***** acid test, I would suggest swallowing at least 3g of a potent fish oil (2g breakfast, 1g dinner), as well as 1g of blackcurrant oil (1g breakfast).

For fish oil, the most affordable brand I have found is at Costco. You can either get the Kirkland signature brand or Natures Way (which I take). Whatever you take, make sure that the EPA and DHA content add up to at least half the weight of the pill. Beware of brands that contain PCB and mercury too.

vitacost.com is my favorite site.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Eczema, I believe, is most likely caused by an acute immuno response due to an upregulation of prostaglandins and cytokines.
Here is a link stating the inflammation associated with eczema. (http://www.eczemaguide.com/eczema_ba...lammation.html)

To get rid of it I would try balancing your omega 3:6 levels. The western diet is heavily weighted towards bad omega 6s, which will totally jack up your system and cause inflammation.

Without going out and paying $200 for an essential ***** acid test, I would suggest swallowing at least 3g of a potent fish oil (2g breakfast, 1g dinner), as well as 1g of blackcurrant oil (1g breakfast).

For fish oil, the most affordable brand I have found is at Costco. You can either get the Kirkland signature brand or Natures Way (which I take). Whatever you take, make sure that the EPA and DHA content add up to at least half the weight of the pill. Beware of brands that contain PCB and mercury too.

vitacost.com is my favorite site.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is nonsense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads