• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any experience with Synovia Waxless Leather Shoe Polish

rfranca

Reaction score
I asked my wife (during her trip to the USA) to bring me some product to clean my leather shoes.
I suggested Meltonian All Purpose Cleaner or kiwi Leather Lotion (the only 2 brands I know).

Since I use kiwi polish paste to polish my shoes, I was looking mostly for a cleanser and not a polish.

Since she didn´t find what I was looking for she brought the Synovia Waxless Leather Shoe Polish
So, does anyone have any opinion on this product and if it´s a good option for cleaning my shoes (i.e removing the build up polish etc) before a I polish them?

Here is a link to the product
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/synovia-...polish/2865095

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Likely to be silicone heavy.

ktrp

Reaction score
Silicon is an excellent short term protector for shoes, and probably chews up the leather in the long term. People buying shoes to wear and not care for, then throw out, love it. If you have better shoes you hope to have last, stay away.

Second, what exactly are you hoping to get? You allready use kiwi polish (which is fine) which is building up a layer of protective polish. It sounds to me that what you are missing is a cleaner/conditioner, which will help clean the shoes but also keep the leather supple. A 'waxless polish' is certainly not a conditioner.

You also mention 'removing build up of polish'. That is a different type of product again, I believe acetone based. This is not something you do on a very regular basis.

If you need a conditioner, Saphir Renovateur is highly recommended here, but I've never used it. Lexol is apparently a fairly easily available lower cost product that would work. I'm currently using some Allan Edmonds cleaner/conditioner I was sold before I knew anything about conditioners, but which I've since learned is decent, although I don't know if its a good buy or not.

rfranca

Reaction score
I see,
now I get it.
I fell that what I really need is a cleaner/conditioner which was my original request.

I was trying to figure out if the Synovia would do the job. By the answers I figure it won´t.

And I guess I was to hasty with the idea of polish build up, since these shoes are quite new.

thanks for the answers

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.