• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any experience with Rosetta Stone language courses?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is interested in the Rosetta Stone language course. The CD/DVD's for the three complete sets are about $550. Worth it?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with this as well. Been thinking about buying the French one.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you try googling for reviews and reading ones on places like Amazon or similar?

Could probably find lots of end-user opinions that way.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not bad. They are very helpful for vocabilary, but not so much for speaking.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not bad. They are very helpful for vocabilary, but not so much for speaking.

Taking English?

pruppert

Reaction score
They're fairly easy to pirate if you're into that sort of thing. Then it's definitely worth it. At full price i don't know if i'd be satisfied. Have french and italian and both are fairly helpful, though you learn like a child, so you're kind of beat over the head with everything. But it sticks, so it's doing something right.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I downloaded one to see if they would be worth buying. Absolutely not. Helpful for vocabulary only. Plus the program itself has virtually zero production value: for $500 you'd think they could update the Windows 3.0 presentation.
lipi.jpg

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to brush up on my French and got a torrent to see if it was worth buying, and decided it wasn't.

It's very good at training you with vocabulary, but it's useless when it comes to truly learning the grammar of a language, like conjugating verbs or knowing the proper order for nouns and adjectives. You'd be better off getting a tourist's handbook of phrases and memorizing them, because that's what it seemed like. If you have time to learn, I would recommend getting one of those audio book programs from your local library that includes audio and a companion book that lets you learn to read the language as well.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I wanted to brush up on my French and got a torrent to see if it was worth buying, and decided it wasn't.

It's very good at training you with vocabulary, but it's useless when it comes to truly learning the grammar of a language, like conjugating verbs or knowing the proper order for nouns and adjectives. You'd be better off getting a tourist's handbook of phrases and memorizing them, because that's what it seemed like. If you have time to learn, I would recommend getting one of those audio book programs from your local library that includes audio and a companion book that lets you learn to read the language as well.

I plan on giving it a trial as well to learn some basic Spanish and then going on to specifically learn some medical Spanish because right now I can get by fairly well with my non-English speaking patients (an aside: learn damned English if you're living in the US) through pointing and asking things like "dolor aqui?" i.e." pain here?" but it's nowhere good enough. Grammar, syntax, etc. be damned; for now anyway.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I downloaded one to see if they would be worth buying. Absolutely not. Helpful for vocabulary only. Plus the program itself has virtually zero production value: for $500 you'd think they could update the Windows 3.0 presentation.

lipi.jpg

That's hilarious.
lol8[1].gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently the major languages (French, Spanish) have multiple levels. So maybe Grammar would be tackled in one of the higher levels?

I have been interested in using this, though I really just need help refreshing my vocab, conjugations and speaking.

By the way if you're in a major city, check this out: http://www.globallanguagegroup.com/i...sk=view&id=127

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been using it for a few months now. Overall, I'm not real happy. You'll learn lots of nouns, but very little actual grammar. Now, that said, I'm using it for Spanish, so it is a language that is not too different from English. I thought that I would start from the beginning since the basics are important. Well it turns out I could go right to the high level and complete those lessons easily. I took Spanish when I was in college though, so I'm not real surprised it started coming back quickly.

Personally, I find that reading, writing, speaking, and listening are all very different skills and each need their own practice. My college level coursework stressed reading the most heavily with writing a close second (I might be a bit cynical, but I suspect this is for ease of testing students rather than from any kind of desire to make sure students learn useful foreign language skills, something that really irritates me now that I have a need to use Spanish). I am far superior at reading than any of the other skills.

Rosetta Stone gives you some practice in listening and speaking, which I like, but it is not nearly sufficient. Grammar is very weak.

Overall, I would say Rosetta Stone can make you a decent tourist, e.g. you won't be clueless, and you'll be able to use pointing and nouns to communicate.

My advice is find ways to practice each of the 4 skills. Rosetta Stone may play a small role in that, but you'll need a lot of other methods too.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've used it, I like it very much. good value

eidolon

Reaction score
I've been through a few systems for French, Spanish and German (which I never stuck with, my German is still awful). I didn't really enjoy the Rosetta Stone. My recommendation would be Pimsleur + a local club dedicated to speaking that language (pretty common in more populated areas, normally just a few people who get together).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads