Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any experience with J. Hilburn for Suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pickleweed, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Deb F

Deb F Member

Bucho - Sorry the suit did not fit. I am guessing your JH rep went to a local tailor for the remake since JH does not do alterations. Since the jackets are personalized not MTM they may require alterations. Pants are MTM and the shirts are custom. Bummer that you had a bad experience but hopefully you were refunded.

2. Deb F

Deb F Member

Randomnoob - hope you will give J. Hilburn a try. Not sure where you are located but I can help you find a good rep if you like. Nothing to lose as if you are not satisfied - 100% money back guarantee and plenty to gain!

3. jamesbanks

jamesbanks New Member

J. Hilburn is the worst quality custom shirt I have had. You can go anywhere for a better quality custom shirt. The high rankings must have been bought because the quality of fabric, fit, and look of my shirt is poor. The shirt is unwearable because it wrinkles so easily.

4. Deb F

Deb F Member

That is too bad you did not like your shirt jamesbank. Any reason you did not return it? JH has a 100%guarantee - they will remake it for you or refund it. As far as wrinkles go....most 100% cotton shirts do wrinkle. Did you know JH has a great selection of 100% cotton non-iron fabric? Actually the only custom shirts available in non-iron

5. comrade

comrade Senior member

This saga seems typical of a certain class of low-end "personalized"
    "custom" MTM operations. If one substitutes "J. Hilburn" with the late
    "Astor and Black" or several other firms which SFers have tried, the story
    is basically the same. For those with more to spend there is always
    Scott Hill.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

6. Bucho

Bucho Active Member

[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR] I tried to have a good experience with J. HIlburn but alas, I cannot recommend them. I bought a suit but it came back fitting badly around the shoulders and chest. The rep said it could be fixed, she took more measurements and when it came back, it was just horrible. The repairs were obvious and poorly made. Stitching was ugly and the shoulder seems were uneven and it still didn't fit I had two shirts made and they were similarly poor fitting and just average quality both in terms of fabric and construction. I kept them and paid for them, but I wouldn't do it again. I also bought a cashmere sweater that was advertised as baby cashmere....it wasn't and they removed the "baby" label from the web site. So, my experience was not good.

7. bgdann21

bgdann21 New Member

I thought maybe I could shed some light on j. Hilburn. I started wearing about 2 Years ago and have noticed a great deal of improvement in fabric choices in both shirts and suits. I agree that suit selection is still a bit limited. I just purchased my 4th suit and it was absolutely perfect (after my tailor gave it the finishing touches)... the problem with hilburn is the clothing is only as good as person doing measurements (in my case it was my tailor). When I get measured we leave room for final adjustments and although this usually adds $200-400 to price tag they still come in way below anything else I have purchased in past. Prior to hilburn Ihad my suits made at ascot chang in Manhattan and they are absolutely perfect but also double j hilburun even after alterations.

8. Apeterkin

Apeterkin New Member

They (JHILBURN) actually have multiple button choices(including weathered, shell, brass and silver) and all reps are trained. Custom suits for one tenth of the price.

9. Ben31

Ben31 Member

To shed light on J. Hilburn's clothing, I have been purchasing and wearing their clothes now for about 7 months. I am a 22 year old college hockey player and I am 6'4 and 200 pounds with long arms and a thin torso. Being this size I have always struggled finding great fitting clothing, as I am very particular with fit, construction, washability, and fabric selection.

I first started out purchasing a dress shirt and a 3 piece suit. When my initial dress shirt came I was quite happy with construction and lay, and even though I did not get a non-iron custom shirt it drapes beautifully out of the wash. The suit pants are incredible as they are offered in many fit options; I am currently in the European slim fit which has a very tapered leg which lays great on my dress shoes which is something I've never been able to find from Men's Wearhouse or another suiting store. After a few alterations it is my favorite suit by far and I have ordered another.

After purchasing J. Brand Jeans, a few more dress shirts, a custom belt, a sweater, and some outerwear I loved my clothing and the service so much that I left Men's Wearhouse and became an Independent stylist. Mishaps do happen with measurements, but everything is easily and swiftly fixed which is one thing I have found very different from other clothing companies I have worked for. Within in the last couple months the suits can be even more personalized and tailored to your needs, as well as we are increasing our suiting fabric options, including Loro Piana suiting fabrics. For those of you who are looking for great customer service, an abundance of fabric options to choose from for suits and custom dress shirts, and all at an unbelievable price point this J. Hilburn would be a great company to try.

10. HHT 111

HHT 111 New Member

Am terribly unhappy with J. Hillburn. Tried over and over to support a friend in the "business". Their pant fittings are absolutely wrong. None seem to know what the 'Rise" is. You cannot achieve a proper fit without an inseam measurement. When I asked for an inseam measure to be done, the female rep. stormed away as if I was soliciting her. She raised her voice and said THAT would never be done and it was not neccessary. If you like a run of the mill fit. ok. This clothier is a good choice for someone stepping up from retail clothing. But they have never sold me a product yet that fit or lasted. I am not a clothes snob. But a "little' knowledge is dangerous. The shirts have all either shrunk, or stretched. Sleeve length is never correct. And one sales rep. even told me EVERY AG "protege" is cut differently. The AG website itself shows the same cut for each TYPE of jean. The rep. did not even bother to know their own website. So for newbies to nicer clothes I understand the allure of "'Custom". But it is a poor representation of what that means. I took time away so they could get the kinks out of their business...same problems again.

11. Linda18

Linda18 Member

You are correct..the suits are made in Hong Kong with fabric from Italian mills.. Generally a half canvassed suit..
    If you have any problems..your style rep should fix it..you can go to your own tailor.. I believe they cover a certain amount. Shirts are suppose to be laundered not dry cleaned too.

12. Linda18

Linda18 Member

Reps are taught to measure quite well without the inseam... It's a made to measure not custom ...your waist and hips and outseam.. Is fine

13. Linda18

Linda18 Member

3 percent is figured in for shrinkage...dry cleaning and starch are not recommended..your first shirt order is processed...no other orders are processed unless you give your rep a go ahead and you love your first shirt..its a 100 percent guarantee on fit...

14. Linda18

Linda18 Member

Tried it sold it....love the quality, but jhilburn makes a ton of money on reps buying swatches and books every time you turn around.
    Even if you get to a great commission rate..it never ends...and each month you're back to zero..

15. Linda18

Linda18 Member

Must be linen..none of my client's shirts had wrinkle issues