• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any comments on the new "4H Body" book?

Essentio

Reaction score
I like Tim Ferriss as an author, but anything with a title like "The 4-Hour Body" is an immediate put off so I'm a bit skeptical.

Has anybody read the book? Any comments?

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Essentio
I like Tim Ferriss as an author, but anything with a title like "The 4-Hour Body" is an immediate put off so I'm a bit skeptical.

Has anybody read the book? Any comments?

So you like him as an author, that means you know his first book was titled "The 4-hour workweek" so he just kept the theme going.

I have dibs on "The 4-Hour Dad" if he decides to have kids
smile.gif

my copy will be here tomorrow.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To anyone who gets the book:

Can you please summarize the 15 minute orgasm technique?

I'm dead serious, I'm curious what he has to say on the subject and whether it's anything novel. I don't have much interest in the book, but that caught my eye..
laugh.gif

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
To anyone who gets the book:

Can you please summarize the 15 minute orgasm technique?

I'm dead serious, I'm curious what he has to say on the subject and whether it's anything novel. I don't have much interest in the book, but that caught my eye..
laugh.gif

meh i think thats just to get people to buy it lol.

heres a link: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2NlJEW...2402055&page=1

heres something from that page

Is a 15-Minute Orgasm Possible?

The orgasm argument may stem in part from Ferriss's method of defining it.

The commonly accepted definition of an orgasm is when sexual arousal gets so heightened that it sends the body into spasms, with muscle contractions, heart palpitations, heavy breathing and other physical changes, said Pepper Schwartz, a sociologist and sexologist at the University of Washington. But the female orgasm lasts about 30 to 40 seconds, not minutes on end.

Schwartz said that in her decades of research in sex and relationships she had never heard of a 15-minute long orgasm.

"Can you imagine being in orgasm for 15 minutes? I'm not sure that would be a pleasant experience," she said.

"Could you stay in sustained heightened arousal for a long time? Yes," she said. "But once you have that orgasm the body does a whole lot of funny, interesting things and it then uses up an enormous amount of energy and it doesn't produce that kind of energy in that kind of sustained way."

In his book, Ferriss takes an alternative, "more useful" definition of orgasm.

"Orgasm is when there is no resistance -- no physical or emotional blocking -- to a single point of contact between one finger and the clitoris. This state naturally leads to the involuntary contractions and flushing that most associate with the word orgasm," he writes.

Ferris said he interviewed and was coached by female experts to come up with a how-to guide that could relieve frustration for both men and women.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a little skeptical of the results on "1 guinea pig"...wasn't Tim's original business peddling body building supplements?

This tells me 2 things...he probably has a base fitness very different from what the book is being marketed to and that he is probably pimping his own supplements for sale (if he is still involved with that ****)

here is an excerpt
How Did I Do It?

First, I followed a simple supplement regimen:

Morning: NO-Xplode (2 scoops), Slo-Niacin (or timed-release niacinamide, 500 mg)

Each meal: ChromeMate (chromium polynicotinate, not picolinate, 200 mcg), alpha-lipoic acid (200 mg)

Pre-workout: BodyQUICK (2 capsules 30 mins. prior)

Post-workout: Micellean (30 g micellar casein protein)

Prior to bed: policosanol (23 mg), ChromeMate (200 mcg), alpha-lipoic acid (200 mg), Slo-Niacin (500 mg)

No anabolics were used.

From a training standpoint, there were four basic principles that made it happen, all of which will be expanded upon in the next chapter:

1. PERFORM ONE-SET-TO-FAILURE FOR EACH EXERCISE.

Follow Arthur Jones's general recommendation of one- set- to- failure (i.e., reaching the point where you can no longer move the weight) for 80-120 seconds of total time under tension per exercise. Take at least three minutes of rest between exercises.

2. USE A 5/5 REP CADENCE.

Perform every repetition with a 5/5 cadence (five seconds up, five seconds down) to eliminate momentum and ensure constant load.

3. FOCUS ON 2-10 EXERCISES PER WORKOUT, NO MORE.

Focus on 2-10 exercises per workout (including at least one multi- joint exercise for pressing, pulling, and leg movements). I chose to exercise my entire body each workout to elicit a heightened hormonal response (testosterone, growth hormone, IGF-1, etc.).

Here is the sequence I used during this experiment ("+" = superset, which means no rest between exercises):

* Pullover + Yates's bent row
* Shoulder- width leg press
* Pec-deck + weighted dips
* Leg curl
* Reverse thick-bar curl (purchase cut 2″ piping from Home Depot If needed, which you can then slide plates onto)
* Seated calf raises
* Manual neck resistance
* Machine crunches

All of these exercises can be found at www.fourhourbody.com/geek-to-freak.

4. INCREASE RECOVERY TIME ALONG WITH SIZE.

This is described at length in the next chapter, which describes the most reductionist and refined approach to overriding stubborn genetics: Occam's Protocol.

Occam's Protocol is what I suggest almost all trainees start with for mass gains.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I am a little skeptical of the results on "1 guinea pig"...wasn't Tim's original business peddling body building supplements?

This tells me 2 things...he probably has a base fitness very different from what the book is being marketed to and that he is probably pimping his own supplements for sale (if he is still involved with that ****)

here is an excerpt

Yeah I would agree on that for sure.

If you weed through most of his stuff, it boils down to common sense to me (same with Dave Ramsey, who I also enjoy). I personally enjoy what the guy says and I have tons of respect for anyone who is "self-made" be it Oprah, Martha Stewart, or chick who wrote harry potter.

I've followed Tim for years now. I actually enjoy his info, as well as Kevin Rose, whom I've followed since he was first on G4tv. Just my opinion if people think hes a snakeoil salesman, or hes a health savior, he is, ya know?

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Also, everything he talks about is what worked for him so people need to take that into consideration also, same as listening to anyone (Arnold for example)

fungz0r

Reaction score
I'd be more interested if he released info about certain drugs and supplements he did, but those are probably illegal, sucks.

JhwkMac

Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty interesting read. the Slow carb method seems like it would be a smooth transition from what I eat now and the kettlebell training has been used all over the world for years now. Overall I feel the book touches on some great subjects but doesn't go enough in depth to be a huge help. Like a jack of all trades, master of none situation.

personallytraining

Reaction score
Having tried the 15 minute orgasm, as a man, I have found there to be quite a bit of sensation available to me throughout the experience that I had never encountered before. Really subtle electricity-type feelings in my chest and hands, for example. As far as the orgasm thing is concerned, the way I understand i being "in orgasm" means feeling sexual sensation in your body, suble or gross. The climax just sounds like part of the cycle. If you're curious about more, here's a link to a video I bought that filled in the blanks:

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JhwkMac
I thought it was a pretty interesting read. the Slow carb method seems like it would be a smooth transition from what I eat now and the kettlebell training has been used all over the world for years now. Overall I feel the book touches on some great subjects but doesn't go enough in depth to be a huge help. Like a jack of all trades, master of none situation.

This, I agree 100% with this, though I enjoyed the book as it's an interesting read.

thejohngalt100

Reaction score
Read the entire book over the past two days, and I concur with the comments previously made by other posters (have to admit I only gave the pre-hab chapter a cursory glance):

1. The book is an account of what has worked specifically for Tim. YMMV significantly.
2. A bunch of different topics are covered (great breadth) and they're all pretty fascinating, but the audience would be better served if the book went into greater detail on some of the subjects rather than saying, "Hey, this is neat."
3. Related to #2, the book has a lot of different work out plans or dietary guidelines but doesn't put it all together for the reader, so you're left to synthesize everything for yourself.
4. Comes across a little bit as he's doing product placement for some of the things in the book --> Source for cod liver oil/butter oil = Good. Telling the reader that he used X brand of video camera to record himself running = who cares.

All in all, a pretty good book and it reads well. Plus there are pretty good links at the end of each chapter to point you in the right direction for further information. I'd say glean from it what you want and go back to it from time to time.

clubbyjones

Reaction score
Pre-ordered and got a nice hardback, signed copy.

However, besides the slow-carb diet, I haven't found much useful. I have used the slow-carb method for a few days now and I am noticing a difference in leanness. However, I think it may be mainly due to water loss.

Hennessy

Reaction score
It's a quick read, somewhat entertaining, but it doesn't bring much new to the table.

I did like the part of the slow carb diet. Nothing new, but easily laid out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads