• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any comments on loake/cheaney shoes?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm looking at a couple pairs of each on a uk website. Does anyone have any personal experience with either brand?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have the URL handy, but there are several threads in the archives on Loakes and some that mention Cheaney as well.

dan

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, you don't need to go to UK to buy Loake's. There's a store right here in DC, Wm. Fox, on G Street between 14th and 15th, that sells Loake shoes. It's a very small store; thus, I would assume there must be other stores in the US that sell Loake. The shoes look nice to my eye - similar to non-Masterpiece-level Grensons or mid-level Sargents. Personally, I'd suggest shelving everything right now and buy Grenson Masterpiece's for $150/pair at Bennie's at bennieshoes.com. Can't beat their deals. Some great deals on Grensons on EBay too.

JohnMS

Reaction score
I've worn Cheaney shoes (the Spencer). Seems to be well made. The model I have is about on par with Allen Edmonds, but more stylish.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok thanks john, that's what i was looking for. My dad's going to england soon so i'm gonna have him pick me up a couple pairs from the avant garde collection.

Kabert, truthfully I don't really like the grensons. I'm in my early 20s and most of them as just too traditional for daily wear imo. Cheaney has some sleek loafers in their new avant garde collection.

Nuttifeetfirst

Reaction score
Loake Shoes, by far the best buy, stylish, comfortable, hard wearing, and good after sales service.
I am generally new to the shoe trade, however since becoming Loake's representative here in Portugal, have worn during my travels many models namely Badminton2, Harrow, Ayre, and Banks Boot plus a pair of Silverstone 2 for driving. I have found thes shoes extreemly comfortable and above all at the end of the day it is so pleasing for your feet not to be saying Iam tired.
It is a known fact we are not all equal in size and shape and that some feet are larger in width therefore for people who have broad feet (no Matter if it is only one foot) buy shoes that fit with a little room for expansion when the foot becomes hot. Geerally speaking if the normal size of the shoe to be purchased is an F fitting and the foot feels tight in it buy a model that has a wider fitting as Loake produce various models in G and now also produce extrawide on other models.
As with all good quality shoes it is an advantage to have many pairs as with this quality of shoe wearing should be alternate this allows the shoes to air and dry out ready for th next wear. And do use a good quality shoe cream/polish and apply after shoe has rested. This will perlong the shoe life and keep appearence as new.

Eagle

Reaction score
I've a pair of Cheaney's Matisse model (made for Herring Shoes). I would agree the quality is on a par with AE's but, considering the purchase price, shipping costs and import fees, it would be difficult to consider them to have been a bargain. Overall I guess I am
satisfied.gif
with the shoes!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have pair of a Loakes and quite like them - the nearest US equivalent in terms of quality and refinement would be AE. They're certainly near the lower end of spectrum with respect to English made shoes, but you get what you pay for. I think of them as my workhorses...

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
I've got the Loake Burford and really like them. Nice, soft leather, pretty tough leather soles, only the holes for laces are not so good: they destroy the shoe laces pretty fast, so you need to get some new laces every couple of months (but maybe that's just me....)

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a pair of Loakes daily and find them to be hard-wearing and very comfortable over long long periods, but that's because the last is very good for my feet. Also, have a pair of Cheaney Newmans, in the Signature range. Again , very nice, comfortable shoes. Seems a fairly safe bet with either of the makers..

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Kabert, truthfully I don't really like the grensons. I'm in my early 20s and most of them as just too traditional for daily wear imo. Cheaney has some sleek loafers in their new avant garde collection.

Have you looked at Genson's Rushden line? I think this is their line of shoes aimed more at younger customers. Most of them are made on a longer, sleeker last, with less traditional details (i.e. smaller or different brogueing, etc.). I've had my eye on the Jeeves (in cognac) and the Noble (in burnt pine or tan) but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm worried they might be TOO long and sleek for my tastes. For reference I'm 23.

Any opinions out there on the Rushdens?

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
FYI, you don't need to go to UK to buy Loake's. There's a store right here in DC, Wm. Fox, on G Street between 14th and 15th, that sells Loake shoes. It's a very small store; thus, I would assume there must be other stores in the US that sell Loake. The shoes look nice to my eye - similar to non-Masterpiece-level Grensons or mid-level Sargents. Personally, I'd suggest shelving everything right now and buy Grenson Masterpiece's for $150/pair at Bennie's at bennieshoes.com. Can't beat their deals. Some great deals on Grensons on EBay too.

Just an FYI for everyone - it's www.benniesshoes.com. The link above takes you to some shopzilla site.

penguin vic

Reaction score
I'd stay clear of the Loake standard range and go with their 1880 range only. I find them good, decent shoes for the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads