• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any clue what brand of shirt Daniel Craig is wearing on his SNL appearance?

quaker13

Reaction score
I'm really digging this whole look.
d1f8e2b3cc4c4888ad367e8b9f9b528c

GettyImages-1205774770.jpg

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Excuse the bump and late reply but after doing hours of research on that look it seems to be this:

I'm surprised this look merits even minutes of research. What are you all so excited about here (genuine question)? It's just a perfectly ordinary shirt and pair of pants, surely? Admittedly the shirt looks like it's made from some nice cloth (which reinforces the idea it might be Loro Piana), but no more so than a million other shirts that currently languish unworn in closets around the world. Please explain.

HahaLmao

Reaction score
I'm surprised this look merits even minutes of research. What are you all so excited about here (genuine question)? It's just a perfectly ordinary shirt and pair of pants, surely? Admittedly the shirt looks like it's made from some nice cloth (which reinforces the idea it might be Loro Piana), but no more so than a million other shirts that currently languish unworn in closets around the world. Please explain.

It's a fair point you have. Admittedly and objectively the shirt really does look ordinary but of course details matter once you take a closer look. That's besides the point though.

I've been a fan of Bond for a long time now, and he has been a style icon for many throughout the years. This idea of Bond being a style icon sort of, by extension, makes the actors portraying Bond to be style icons too. There is an entire culture of fandom-bordering-fanaticism on all things James Bond. For instance, there are Internet forums dedicated to memorabilia, attaining the supposed "lifestyle" of Bond, and of course, discussions and speculation about films, books. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

So to answer your question I think it is a collector's mindset at play here. You see x style icon wearing something and think "huh, that's pretty neat," and you carry on with your day. To others, that person is a source of inspiration for future style decisions. And to an even smaller group of people, that entire outfit must be identified and acquired in its most original form down to the model.

In this culture of materialism I think it's objectively uncalled for. This shirt may or may not languish in someone's closet. Many of us here purchase emotionally, and this is no different. But I think having a story and background attached to each item, knowing that it is the exact model worn, adds some meaning to a purchase. Especially with clothing, at the very least, these items can serve a greater purpose than collecting dust waiting to be resold.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Excellent response!

Now convince me that Daniel Craig is a style icon and not in fact the worst lapse of judgement made by any casting director in the entire (50-year?) history of the Bond franchise.

Admittedly I've never seen him act. Or even move for that matter. But one look at a photo of him is already more than enough. Looks like a cheap knock-off plastic action figure from the 1980s.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent response!

Now convince me that Daniel Craig is a style icon and not in fact the worst lapse of judgement made by any casting director in the entire (50-year?) history of the Bond franchise.

Admittedly I've never seen him act. Or even move for that matter. But one look at a photo of him is already more than enough. Looks like a cheap knock-off plastic action figure from the 1980s.
From what I can tell, he wasn't looking to convince you of anything, or asking your opinion of it. Just trying to ID a shirt.
Snark has it's place, but you don't pull it off well.

HahaLmao

Reaction score
Excellent response!

I probably can't convince you. Opinions are hard to change on the Internet through words alone and the effort often isn't warranted.

This may sound slightly contradictory to what I posted above, but I will say that often times we choose to emulate only what looks good. We are selective in finding outfits that we can imagine the fictional Bond himself to wear. I found the above outfit to look good despite being very plain, but the fabric certainly elevates it to something more.

Having an icon is handy for outfit inspiration, but it doesn't mean that if Daniel Craig wore pantyhose with sandals one day that we would all emulate it. (Well, some guys might...)

An icon is just that, an icon. You can choose to incorporate or not. As an aside, I think acting ability and sense of style are apples and oranges.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
From what I can tell, he wasn't looking to convince you of anything, or asking your opinion of it. Just trying to ID a shirt.
Snark has it's place, but you don't pull it off well.

If I don't pull off snark, that's perhaps because none was intended. Everything in my post was written entirely in earnest. HahaLmao's response was in my opinion, excellent. However I have an irrational dislike of Daniel Craig. What I wrote above was my way of saying that I don't find him inspiring, sartorially or in any other way. No more, no less.

Your contribution to this discussion is what exactly?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I don't pull off snark, that's perhaps because none was intended. Everything in my post was written entirely in earnest. HahaLmao's response was in my opinion, excellent. However I have an irrational dislike of Daniel Craig. What I wrote above was my way of saying that I don't find him inspiring, sartorially or in any other way. No more, no less.

Your contribution to this discussion is what exactly?
Pointing out that your train of thought apparently has no caboose...

VinceCompost

Reaction score
On further reflection I retract my above statement: that dude with a face like a potato who played Bond in about 1967/68 (forget the name) was perhaps even less inspiring than Craig.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads