1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any clothing you tend to stay far away from?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by DextersMorgan, Feb 21, 2013.

1. JustChris

JustChris Senior member

Well, velvet is a bit gauche. Satin top hats are where it's at.

2. jet

jet Senior member

satin silk i presume, and agree

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I tend to stay away from cocktail dresses and spike heeled shoes. They don't look so good with my hairy arms and legs.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

If you got big legs you will look great in slim straight jeans aka Levis 514.

Hate to break you the news, skinny jeans is here to stay, it's not a fad or a phase. It's been here for years now and growing.

It's for thin people that got sick of the baggy look. No need to hide thin legs because so much denim fabric.

Peace. :slayer:

5. Andreas1965

Andreas1965 Well-Known Member

Problem is, with calves like mine (semi-pro bicycle racer, sprinter-type) when I sit down, these slim jeans go up my leg, then, when standing up, they won't slide down on their own, making me look like wearing a knickerbocker.

And I hate hate hate hate hate jeans that don't let you sit down comfortably.

Thank god there's the Edwin Nashville jeans. Until now the only quality selvage jeans tailored for muscular people. Lee 101Z is ok, too.

Tried Levi's 508, Thighs ok, but ridiculously narrow in the calves area. Levi's 514? Are you kidding? I can manage to pull this one up to mid-thigh area, then it's over. Remember, these jeans are called SLIM-straight.

I have a 32 or 31 waist, please, I'm no way fat or something. Just big sprinter legs. And looking around, there are so many men doing sports, there must be some need for quality selvage that is not skinny or slim cut. Not every male is an 18 year old anorexic.

Furthermore, my excursions to various parts of the world clearly show the fact, that skinny jeans are not for everyone. I saw way too many fat females pressed into skinny jeans. I don't want that. It's evil.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. J.B

J.B Member

Try Joe's jeans in their classic cut. Those seem to be a decent compromise between skinny and comfortable.

I agree that skinny is here to stay. Why would a manufacturer push jeans that cost the same but require more material to make?

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Seriously? The difference in the amount of material used going up 2 sizes is greater than the amount of material needed to make jeans slightly tighter or slightly looser. And it's not like denim is very expensive material. The most expensive denim that you can buy is about $25/yard. Denim for something like Joe's jeans is maybe $3/yard, tops. It's not, by far, the most significant cost. Good suiting fabrics easily goes for several times more than that.

If you want roomy jeans that are high quality (though not by far the highest), try Jean Shop.

8. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

Logos.
    Branding.
    Bling.
    Anything Skinny.

9. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

Have you tried spandex? :foo:

10. bings

bings Senior member

glad to see so many opposed to overbranding. I agree 100%. as far as i'm concerned if i'm going to advertise for DKNY ot Hugo Boss they can pay to put their clothing on me, not vice versa.

only exception to that is branded corporate clothing, especially if you own your own company(ies), then... brand big and brand hard.

beyond that; i stay away from scratchy wool, boring socks, ill-fitting expensive denim, watches that are not swiss autos, and anything priced at full retail :)

1 person likes this.
  11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

lol

12. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

13. Artem

Artem Well-Known Member

What's wrong with short sleeve button-ups? I love a lightweight, short-sleeve button-up with the top few buttons undone in the summer.

14. Artem

Artem Well-Known Member

So what DO you wear?

15. jet

jet Senior member

anything BUT those items

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  16. Diglet

Diglet Senior member

+10000 to obvious branding
    khaki chinos
    brogues
    v-necks
    ties (unless required)
    flannel
    ... I guess almost anything MC

17. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

chastity devices are a big no-no for me, no matter how much my girlfriend begs

1 person likes this.
  18. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Overbranding is a given, plus

-Ties if theyre not required. They just dont have a functional purpose and there are more comfortable ways to incorporate color

-Deep neck t shirts. so lame

-perforated brogues. I may eventually find a pair, I just feel nice, smooth leather is always the cleanest and sharpest look. Plus it seems all the perforations would trap grime

-Low quality overpriced fashion denim

-Chuck taylors. Im looking to acquire the slim pairs, but the standard ones look like clown shoes

-Tears/distressing

-studs

-faux fur/leather. especially faux leather

19. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

Most camo clothing. I've seen ties, soles of shoes, and even a camo sport jacket. I just don't get it. Wearing camo in the Army was enough for me.