• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any Claims Adjusters inside my computer?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any Claims Adjusters on SF? I just looked up a short description, sounds like it might provide a little more personal contact than my other CPA aspiration, though they might be pissed-off persons... Well, hope to hear from some of you, we have a large Geico branch just down the street, and I'm thinking I could work up to it while finishing my Acctng degree. Thanks!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend is one. She's crazy but a lot of fun and hates the people she works with.

Does that answer your question?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
My friend is one. She's crazy but a lot of fun and hates the people she works with.

Does that answer your question?

Crazy is a personal thing, hating the people you work with is OK with me...how about the job? How's she doing financially and with the hours? Do you know her education background? Obviously something went wrong if she's crazy though

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one else? I'm actually kind of excited about this as compared to the CPA. Hmmm...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Crazy is a personal thing, hating the people you work with is OK with me...how about the job? How's she doing financially and with the hours? Do you know her education background? Obviously something went wrong if she's crazy though

I don't ask her how she's doing financially. Okay for someone her age I guess. She has an undergrad in something. I forgot what.

Just talked to her and she's working on her resumÃ
, actually.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
My mom has been doing this for a while (5+ years) for catastrophic claims, and just recently, maybe two years ago, started doing adjusting for smaller, in state claims. Loves it. Makes a lot of money.

It requires a lot of independence and discipline. I think if you're young, have no wife or kids, you can do catastrophic claims, rack up some really good money, like 200k pre-taxes, and save for later in life.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
My mom has been doing this for a while (5+ years) for catastrophic claims, and just recently, maybe two years ago, started doing adjusting for smaller, in state claims. Loves it. Makes a lot of money.

It requires a lot of independence and discipline. I think if you're young, have no wife or kids, you can do catastrophic claims, rack up some really good money, like 200k pre-taxes, and save for later in life.

Thanks, I remember talking to you about her job awhile ago. I think I'd start working for an insurance company to get some experience, then maybe move into that field if I had the opportunity.

After reading some of the career info on Geico's website, it sounds like the want someone with almost lawyer-like debate and 'salesman' skills in oral communication. Would your mom agree with that? I'm pretty well spoken and can explain things well, but it doesn't come across in interviews very well

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
After reading some of the career info on Geico's website, it sounds like the want someone with almost lawyer-like debate and 'salesman' skills in oral communication. Would your mom agree with that? I'm pretty well spoken and can explain things well, but it doesn't come across in interviews very well

I think my Mom's is unique in this way, and different from Geico would be. Since those are just regular claims regarding almost anything, you really do have to argue with people, sell them on the facts as you seem them and not as they're trying to tell them, etc. Since she does hurricanes, people are mostly just happy to have someone from the insurance company there b/c they've already been living in temporary housing for a month and it's finally a ray of hope that things will get taken care of.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. I think I'd be good at it, but convincing the company might be a problem at first. Oh wells, I'll definitely give it a shot once school ends

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 134 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 251 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 120 15.6%
  • 31 - 40