• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any 'Canvassed' suits Made in China

neyus

Reaction score
I know that when we see something that is Made in Italy or Made in England most people in their minds tend to think that the garment of clothing will be better quality.

I know that this is not necessarily the case. Because all countries/manufacturers can produce both items of high quality and low quality.

I find that even less famous unknown suit manufacturers from Italy tend to use better quality fabrics even if the suits are of a fused construction.

So I would like to know if any forum members have any experience with any brands of suit manufacturers who make a floating canvas suit that is Made in China.

I would like to buy a few more items of clothing for my wardrobe my budget would normally exclude me from purchasing borrelli, kiton, oxxford or brioni. So I would be very interested in purchasing almost similar quality as those mentioned. My logic is if you could purchase a suit from Asia, the price should also be priced somewhat cheaper due to manufacturing costs (generally speaking).

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
perhaps a bespoke ww chan suit or something like that from hong kong would be a better choice

rgpuppy

Reaction score
I have been in several factories in China that produce Canvas garments.

Most of the production goes to Japan and Australia as these countries in years past have not had the quota issues so exporting to these places was much easier than to US and UK.

There is a company who produces a canvased garment that has many retail outlets in China...if you are traveling there perhaps you could locate a shop. However the sizing will be difficult if you are an "average built" westener.

I think the stores go under the name Oshmann...

As you noted you will need to check the particular suit you like as all will not be made as you desire.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this before but I think this applies better to this thread...

Yes, countries that have cheaper labor and materials are capable to do high and also low quality...

I don't know about china, but when I was in Peru, I had a bespoke suit made using Italian 120's wool that you can buy there and made it really bespoke ( night blue, modern cut, 3 pcs, shorter jacket, 5 button working sleeves, slim fitted ) ... cost was $100 wool $150 labor.... incredible huh ?

True... in Peru they have a different construction method as in London or Italy, they use a thermical fused inside layer, because the people there perceives a suit as good when is more rigid and doesn't wrinkle... In Italy the suits are soft and doen't wrinkle because of the quality of the fabric and the canvased construction ....

So I made the taylor make me the suit as an Italian one ( I gave him one to copy it ... ) he was telling me at the beginning... "This suit doesn't have the thermical layer... mmm it will wrinkle and you'd be able to see the creases ... " So I just told him to make it that way, without the rigid inner layer...

The result was a wonderful bespoke suit... for only $250 !!!!, made in 3 days.

I made me another using a heavy flanel gray herringbone tweed, but I gave it to another tailor with same instructions and the results were not great... I imagine this is because of the fabric... this tweed fabric was cheaper.. some $60, and hadn't the quality for that kind of construction i guess...

Anyway... at $250 a 120's bespoke, you could pay the flight ticket, have the suit made, and visit macchu picchu for the same price you'd pay in NYC

In any case if you prefer better grade fabrics you could bring your fabric with you... I know 3.20 mts are enough for a 2 pcs and some 3.60 mts for a 3 pce suit for me ( i regularly use a 38R )...

The thing is to get in contact with a good tailor... in the old town near the main square there is the pasaje Olaya and the tailor quartier... and just to the side of the Presidential House you have the bespoke shoe sector and leathers market.... you can have made to measure or bespoke shoes for around $100 a pair... I had one pair of brown made there, the shoemaker took a week to finish.

Yes certainly to speak spanish helps a lot to have the tailor and shoemakers understand what you want...

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kilgour, French & Stanbury in London has workrooms in China, I believe.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by neyus
I know that this is not necessarily the case. Because all countries/manufacturers can produce both items of high quality and low quality.
That is not necessarily true, especially for an artisanal product such as a suit. China doesn't have the tailoring tradition of either the UK or Italy. You can bring in a few knowledgeable engineers and start stamping out VCRs and microwave ovens, but it doesn't work like that for tailored clothing.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
China doesn't have the tailoring tradition of either the UK or Italy.
Shanghai?
You can bring in a few knowledgeable engineers and start stamping out VCRs and microwave ovens, but it doesn't work like that for tailored clothing.
Many Chinese manufacturing operations are past making "VCRs and microwave ovens" are now developing and making complex goods. In other words, they are migrating up the chain (in fact, many Chinese entrepreneurs go to Vietnam because the labor cost in Chinese cities, particularly the top-tier ones like Shanghai is "too high").

Of course, I am not suggesting that China today can produce the highest quality Western artisanal goods that, say, Italy can. But if the Chinese perceive a market -- and profitability in such a market -- they will eventually enter it... at first under Western brand name and eventually on their own.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Kilgour, French & Stanbury in London has workrooms in China, I believe.

William Yu does the work for them. Actually one of the best HK tailors in their own right.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen cheap ($400, $500 CAD) fully canvassed suits (from Zara), with functioning buttonholes that were made in Turkey.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shanghai's best tailors were called Baromon, which moved to Hong Kong in 1949 while its original outlet produced bespoke Mao suits for officials, and such during the late '50s, and '60s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads