• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any BMW or Audi Owners Here??

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing a 3 series BMW or an Audi A4. Does anyone have any personal experiences with either of these cars?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 1998 M3 (4 door). Great car. I bought it used in 2000; now have 62,000 miles. It's been extremely reliable mechanically. Not to mention hugely fun.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know how reliable BMW's are around the 100K mark? This is one of main concerns.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I owned a 99 S4 for awhile, I had no issues in the 60k or so that I owned the car.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know how reliable BMW's are around the 100K mark?  This is one of main concerns.
My family is on their 4th BMW in 20 years. We've always enjoyed them and they've been very reliable. My car for the summer is going to be a 87' 635csi with 240k on it. It's been well taken care of and runs like a top with no problems since we've owned it. My Dad's previous car, a 92' 525i with a 5spd, had over 120k on it before it was hit by a postal truck.  That being said, they're fairly expensive cars to repair if something really goes wrong, but that doesn't happen that often. And if you're involved in an accident you will probably have to have panels shipped from Germany.

Are you looking for a particular year for either make? I would avoid early to mid 90's Audi's in general, the quality wasn't spectacular. Although late 90's A4's are a dime a dozen and there are some great deals out there. For BMW's if you're looking for cars with a 100k on it I'm assuming you're looking at mid-90's or earlier 3 series? IMO I would avoid 90-93 3's, not the greatest in quality (I'm generalizing vastly here but in my experience the 100k+ 3's I've encountered of this vintage are usually not well taken care of) or styling. If you can find an 80's M3, you'll be in heaven. Hope this helps.

A.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know how reliable BMW's are around the 100K mark?  This is one of main concerns.
They're reliable as long as they're maintained.  The engine and manual transmissions are near bulletproof when not abused.  Certain wear items will need to be replaced at that age, though.  If you're talking about cars with 100k miles, you're talking about the E36 chassis (92-99 3-series).  By 100k miles, the stock shocks and many suspension bushings will need replacement (if it hasn't happened already).  Lots of people drive on the old, tired components, but you'd be giving up the handling, one of the best parts of driving a BMW.  

That said, I don't think I'd recommend a car of that age to anyone who didn't either do their own maintenance or have a trusted independent mechanic.  And always have the car checked out by a mechanic who specializes in that type of car.  The Meineke guys on the corner will miss the BMW-specific problem points such as plastic water pump impellers, rear shock mounts, etc.

Best of luck,

dan

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm conidering 2002 models. I just want to know how they hold up becasue I plan to drive it for awhile.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm conidering 2002 models.  I just want to know how they hold up becasue I plan to drive it for awhile.

Ahh, that changes things a bit, I guess only time will tell. Dah328's advice is awesome, definitly take whatever car you're thinking of to an independent BMW mechanic. I was talking to a BMW mechanic recently and he said that the overall quality of BMW, MB, and Audi has gone down significantly from even 5-7yrs ago. The quality of plastics and overall build quality has gone (especially on American built MB's and BMW's) in the name of higher profits.

A.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've got a 2003 A4, with about 24k miles on it. I like the car a lot, sport suspension handles well and the cabin is spacious. Drove the 3 series as well, decided upon the A4 for its distinctiveness and price.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2003 A4, with about 24k miles on it. I like the car a lot, sport suspension handles well and the cabin is spacious. Drove the 3 series as well, decided upon the A4 for its distinctiveness and price.
The reasons you chose the A4 are the exact reasons I am considering it. Do you have a 1.8T or 3.0 Liter?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1.8T, handles just fine for me but I'm looking to upgrade to the m3 or s4. Just got a raise...

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.8T, handles just fine for me but I'm looking to upgrade to the m3 or s4. Just got a raise...
Does it have a 4 cylinder feel to it?? Congratulations....

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard it's generally recommended to avoid used vehicles with the Audi/VW turbo engines, for what it's worth.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My only compliant would be that when off a start there is a slight "turbo" induced delay, it almost kept me away at first, especially after driving the g35 coupe. Now I've got gotten used to it, once you get into 2nd gear you start flying.

I don't want to poke around too much into your personal life but if you can swing it buy a new one, if your a recent college graduate they have special financing for first time buyers, I got 1.9% through this program. Check the website and see if they still offer it.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard it's generally recommended to avoid used vehicles with the Audi/VW turbo engines, for what it's worth.
I have heard the same. I have also heard Turbos can be a pain. A friend of mine had a 944 Turbo and he used to have to let the car warm up for two minutes (even in the warmer months) before he took, as well as let it run for two minutes before he shut it off. Whnay is this true with your A4?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads