1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any BMW or Audi Owners Here??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by scnupe7, Feb 1, 2005.

1. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

All I know is my personal experience. My SLK-350 has no cheap-fitting plastic parts, and I believe you are mistaking it with the older SLK-230's on a number of points. It's handling and performance are as good as the M3 non-convertible I test-drove before it, and I drove both of them very hard (as in taking a parking lot with concrete islands at 35-40mph, and a sharp freeway onramp at 90mph, to the point that the sales people were begging me to ease off). The SLK-350 has noticeably snappier response in the low-end (greater torque it seems in the lower RPMs), the "punch" you get from hitting the gas is noticeably stronger than what I felt in the M3. I have had no mechanical problems with mine at all, and my father's SL500 has had no problems to this point (5 years old, 120k miles) and it is a daily driver. I can't say all MB's are great, just that the one I drive is very solid. I think you are confusing the SLK-230 and the SLK-350. Check out this article which relates to the actual SLK-350, a dramatic step-up from the SLK-230: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....id=8117 The primary reason I bought the SLK-350 was for the convertible hardtop. I've had a soft-top ripped with a box-knife before, and ate the $5000 it cost to fix it. Unpleasant. I had planned on buying the M3 convertible but it's handling was not as good as the SLK-350, and it just didn't have the same sort of "punch" to it. You'd have to drive them both to get a good sense of what I'm talking about here, it's more of a "feel" thing than a "numbers on paper" thing. And when my SLK-350 got too old, I wouldn't sterilize it, I would euthanize it. Give that sweet chariot a dignified death. Heh heh. Cars like that should die with pride, rather than going out with a whimper.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

linux, I've driven both cars (as well as nearly everything in both manufacturers' product lines) I was recently invited to a MB test drive session here at El Toro, where they set up handling and performance courses for quite a few of the cars in their product line, including the SL55 AMG and the SLK350. They had a SL65 there, but didn't let us drive it on the course [​IMG] I think the SLK350 is a pretty nice car, and it does have a pretty decent punch to it, and its handling is improved over the SLK-230 but it's not as good a driver's car than either the convertible or coupe M3s, IMO. BTW, I've driven a E46 M3 coupe at Buttonwillow before (when it first came out) so I have quite a bit of seat time in that particular car, it, along with the M5, were cars I considered when I bought my E55. I can see how it would appear to be a faster car, what you're feeling is the low rpm torque spike, but perception and reality are two different things. If you drove a LT1 based camaro/firebird, you'd feel a much stronger torque spike, accompanied with breaking the rear end loose upon a sharp application of throttle, and you'd think the car felt faster, but you wouldn't get much more than 14.2-14.3@100 or so out of it.

3. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

Maybe I drove some abused M3's. I was really surprised that the one I test-drove seriously seemed to have about as much "kick" to it as my IS300, which surprised me. They performed almost identically. I was expecting a lot more. The decision to pick up the SLK-350 was made because I thought it just seemed more "fun", and also the hardtop (a HUGE factor). Like I said earlier, I am surprised that BMW does not offer a convertible hardtop, it's the only option that makes sense to someone worried about car theft. Anyone who has had a soft-top get ripped open knows how heartbreaking and expensive that can be. Also, I love the features on my SLK, such as the heated headrests and the awesome navigation. The heated headrests though, above all else, really won me over too. Here in Seattle, they see a lot of use. I'm really happy with my SLK though, I would highly suggest that someone at least look at one before purchasing an M3. They are tons of fun, and women tend to notice them (everybody's got a BMW, but how many people have power convertible hardtops? Heh heh). That had nothing to do with it actually, but it's a nice added bonus. [​IMG] I am jealous of your Porsche. I have dreamed of getting a 911T or a 1981 930T, or a 1985 930T, or a 78 RSR (a friend of mine in San Diego has a beautiful RSR he picked up with dot com cash). It's just that when I've actually gone to do it, I couldn't justify the cost for how often I would actually use it (and the fact that I mostly drive in the city). But I will own one before I die. Heh heh. How do you like yours? Have any tickets?

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Actually to those who know me, it is surprising that I haven't received a ticket for a moving violation since I was 16 (13 years of high speed driving w/o tickets) The porsche is a nice car, I use it for weekend driving, it's quick and has pretty good handling, and is more or less fast enough for most things you want to do. I own quite a few faster cars though, I outlined most of this in the "cars" thread also in this forum, but IMO the 911T represents the best value in the "exotic" category, with only a few other cars that are even close.

I'm assuming that your SLK350 is a 6 spd and that the M3 you test drove was as well, is that right?

A I mentioned, MBs are nice cars, and I am sure others have made the same decision. Also, keep in mind that the M3 is a high revving car and you won't get as much performance out of it as the MB if you are not taking it to redline and keeping your revs somewhat high (I'm only saying this relative to the more torquey SLK350, obviously it's not a honda)

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

I'm the last person to care about customer service. But if you want to avoid some headaches, then I'd recommend avoiding BMP Design. Ordered a month ago parts for a BMW. Haven't received. 5 e-mail messages unanswered. 2 phones calls in which the rep. said she'd get back to me unreturned. Today I find out items not yet ordered from suppliers. More a disappointment than a terribly bad experience, but still.

6. benchan

benchan Senior member

Just want to butt in and ask, if I don't have any knowledge in replacing car parts and diagnosing strange ping and rattles, is it a really bad idea for me to get an old sports car as a daily driver? My targets are BMW E30 M3/325, Porsche 944 with N.A. engine and Benz 190E 2.3/2.5 16v. ALl of htese cars are 15 yrs or older

7. kabert

kabert Senior member

If you are interested in any of these, just be prepared for expensive service.  An older Porsche is still a very expensive car to maintain.  For all of them, (i) absolutely positively have a prepurchase inspection done at your local dealer or GOOD service station, and (ii) try to get the service records; and (iii) get the carfax report for the car.  

My take:

BMW E30M3 or 325 -- these are completely different cars as I'm sure you know.  If you go with the M3, be prepared to pay more as they are a "cult" car now.  Also, make sure it hasn't been too badly thrashed.  The 325 is a great car that you should be able to find easily (cheap too).  Another car you might look at is a 1995 E36 M3 -- you can get one with btw. 70-100K miles for about $13,000.  M3 auto insurance is very expensive though, so make sure you call your insurance company now to get a hypothetical quote on each of the various cars you are considering.  I'm sure Porsche 944 insurance is expensive also.

Porsche:  Road & Track had an article about a year ago where they did an extensive review of used 944s over the years.  It was very educational; said what to look out for; which years to avoid, etc.  I'd imagine you can find it on the roadandtrack.com website by doing a search.

Mercedes:  I'd be leary of those specail 16v 190s -- the ones with the factory spoiler.  I thought I remembered reading somewhere that they had reliability problems.  I never see them on the road anymore either, which might be telling.  What about a used 230 Sport? Too staid?

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I am about 65% positive that I was just driving next to LinuxPro's girlfriend in the Merc on my way to J's house. Wierd.

could be mistaken though.

9. benchan

benchan Senior member

kabert, thanks for your views and advice as I have problems getting an unbiased view in any of enthusiast sites devoted to those cars. And you know those people often lose count of how much they have spent on their toys.

On a higher attitude, the SLK will post better acceleration numbers. I would never put SLK350 kompressor engine on the same class as M3 engine though even both have pretty impressive output and good tractability. It is a greater mechanical feat to create a high output natural aspirated engine than a blown one.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

SLK350 is not supercharged, it is naturally aspirated.

It's also not challenging to create more horsepower out of a naturally aspirated engine. The principles of power are the same regardless of the aspiration in question, the only limiting factors are cost, displacement, fuel efficiency, reliability, fuel requirements, fuel efficiency, and most of all, emissions. However, a turbocharged (and to a lesser degree, supercharged) car requires substantially more engineering and design for peak performance and reliability.